4.0 out of 5 stars Good speaker but beware of problems with iPhone 4s
I disagree with the previous reviewers comments (about tinny sound), the sound from this speaker is very clear and pure but like most speakers it will not be to everyones taste, but it is much better than any £50 speaker I have ever heard.

Published on 23 Dec. 2011 by Robjt

Published on 14 Dec. 2011 by R. Hicks

4.0 out of 5 stars Good speaker but beware of problems with iPhone 4s, 23 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Philips Fidelio DS3800W SoundRing Wireless Speaker with AirPlay (discontinued by manufacturer) (Accessory)

My only reason for not giving 5 stars is that there is currently a problem with the airplay feature if you are using an iPhone 4S - it keeps losing the connection to the speaker (about every 30 seconds) and sometimes can't reconnect without manual intervention. All other iPhones/iPods seem to be fine, it is just the iPhone 4s and Apple are aware and are "working on it".

So be aware that you may not be able to use this with your iPhone 4s until the next ios 5 update, which is expected to be the first quarter of 2012.

2.0 out of 5 stars Over priced and for people who don't care about music quality, 14 Dec. 2011
R. Hicks (Bristol, North Somerset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
What a shame, this is a compact and beautifully constructed speaker that looks more like an ornament than an ugly speaker. The AirPlay technology works brilliantly...that's the positives. Unfortunately, this product's sound quality is comparable to speaker units worth £50 or less, i.e. it's not very good at all. Extremely tinny sound. With this in mind, it's incredibly over priced at around £240. The target audience here must therefore be people who like aesthetics over sound quality. Such a shame, if the sound was worthy of the price tag, this could be a killer product. I really wanted to like this product but have sent it back and I'm looking for an alternative that will sound good. Plenty of options out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!!, 2 Jan. 2012
I must disagree wholeheartedly with the reviewer that said this speaker is equivalent to a £40 dock. I would suggest anyone that could have any issues with sound on this amazing bit of kit is using some ugly compressed mp3s and the issue is compression. I like to consider myself reasonably knowledgeable as regards good sound... I own shure headphones and a b and w home cinema unit... This is an astoundingly compact speaker with room filling panoramic sound and worth every penny. I've heard the b and w Zeppilin and Arcam rcube and it stands with those as one of the best iPod solutions around... Plus (in my opinion) its more compact for a bedside table and more aesthetically pleasing than either of the other docks mentioned. I own the slightly more expensive model with the rechargeable battery and dock which is worth the extra £50.... Dunno why reviewers put such disinformation about but buy with confidence.... AirPlay is a breeze and definately the future... No fiddly remotes, stream everything, control volume, track listings all directly from iPhone 4 or iPod touch.... Genius! My only worry is lithium battery life and had some issues with Philips reliability on other items... But so far amazingly good!

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, poorly executed., 20 Feb. 2012
An attractive and stylish design with decent sound allowing for the small size of the speaker. What lets it down however is the unreliability of the wireless function. It frequently dropped off my network and I got so frustrated that I wired it up to an Apple Express (thus defeating the object of buying a speaker with built in AirPlay). This worked for a week or so until that method failed too. Thank goodness for Amazon's returns policy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 29 April 2012
The sound quality is fantastic, don't know why anyone would say different. I was considering a Bose speaker but this as good (in my opinion) and the design is so much better than 'standard' looking wireless speakers. I am so happy I bought this as I have listened to and seen a lot of speakers before deciding on this one. The sound completely fills the room evenly so everyone gets the same great sound quality. Everyone of my friends who have seen and heard it want one!

2.0 out of 5 stars unnecessarily complex, 11 Jan. 2014
In terms of the sound I have absolutely no issues with this Philips product. As you would expect from Philips the sound quality for the speaker is clear and crisp. However the wifi settings on the speaker caused havoc with other (non apple) wifi enabled devices. When the speaker was on it meant that I lost connection to my Samsung Galaxy phones. Other than this the wifi worked fine (once the initial arduous connection process had been completed) however for someone who was looking for a simplistic product and was focusing on the sound quality rather than the wifi connectivity (which is for exclusive use with itunes and not just wifi enabled devices) I felt let down by this product. Other bluetooth enabled speakers on the market are much simpler to use and do not have the strange restrictions for only being able to play music from itunes (even though Philips claim it is not endorsed by Apple). If you only want to use the wireless speaker for itunes then fine but I imagine most people like myself would like to have the choice to use the speaker for a wider range of programmes as well.Philips Fidelio DS3800W SoundRing Wireless Speaker with AirPlay

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay sound, crappy AirPlay support, 12 Feb. 2012
Alexander Popov (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
The sound quality is OKay but it won't stack up against any of my BOSE speaker systems (even the entry level BOSE Companion 3). To be fair, I wasn't expecting much for a kitchen setup. What's more disappointing is its AirPlay implementation. Music streaming gets dropped pretty consistently until the speaker is "rebooted". I tried moving it closer to the router (Airport Extreme) and seemed to work within about 15ft. So I added Airport Express (another 80 GBP) to extend/improve Wi-Fi coverage to the kitchen area. No signs of improvement. I ended up connecting the speaker directly to the Airport Extreme via the supplied aux cable. Problem solved.... For what it's worth, I did buy mine second hand for half the price but I ended up buying another Airport Express, which kind of defeats the purpose of a speaker with AirPlay built-in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 13 Jan. 2014
Item looks great, hold a decent charge, airplay works fine with my iphone/ipad and macbook even when streaming from spotfiy. The sound quality might not be the best (some people say play with the settings which i haven't) but it great to take music into the bathroom/kitchen and it loud enough for any room that's not having a full blown house party and it's so nice to use.

Would buy a second one for upstairs, but there little point as it's so portable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Looks good, 1 April 2015
Excellent. Looks good, sounds good - good dynamic range and frequency response for the size of the unit. Easy to set up. Only issue is that it does drop off the LAN from time to time, but having said that it is in our bedroom and the wireless router is downstairs...

Really happy with the price paid as well - much cheaper than other similar Airplay speakers i have been looking at, although that's probably because it has been discontinued.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant when using canle, 16 Feb. 2015
This was a gift for Christmas, I love it so much as I can move my music from room to room and listen to my own music rather than the radio but we had s few problems using it wireless, doesn't se to want to connect and if you change the volume or skip songs it takes ages to catch up, works perfectly with cable tho