5.0 out of 5 stars Beers galore ...
The first of Pete's books I read was 'Hops & Glory'. On having finished that I moved straight on to this book, and after the high I felt from the former, the latter has been equally enthralling.

Published on 17 Sep 2009 by Michael J. Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars Half full or half empty
Published 7 months ago by zigzag

5.0 out of 5 stars Beers galore ..., 17 Sep 2009
Michael J. Taylor "mikejamestaylor1973" (East Staffordshire) - See all my reviews

I've travelled a lot, lived outside of the UK for years, enjoyed beers wherever I've gone, but it's only having read Pete's books that I've started to look at beer worldwide in a completely new light. Pete invites us to savour beer, to enjoy what it's offering us (as long as it's not from Budweiser in the US) in terms of colour, aroma, flavour, social lubrication, etc.

This book has made me want to travel again, to go back to some of those places that I've been (many of which Pete visits) and to re-assess what I experienced there.

Bravo, a wonderful piece of beery travel writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Jan 2008
Anyone enjoys beer (responsibly of course)and drinking should read this book. Not only is it funny and well written, but it also highlights a very important point thats relevant to our country. Why can every other country in the world get drunk and not start fighting?
This is one of those books that you are truly gutted about it ending.
I can't recommend this book enough, also try 'Man walks into a pub' a very close second in the beer related book chart!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beer Abroad, 10 Dec 2007
I picked this up fearing some kind of Bill Bryson-with-booze comedy travelogue but was pleasantly surprised. Brown is a man who is clearly enchanted with beer and it's importance in our social history and contemporary culture both at home and abroad. He travels to various cities in countries renowned for their inhabitants' love of beer - Ireland, Denmark, America, Australia etc., to see how they do things there and why. He explores the differences in approach to beer-brewing, consumption and related folklore in foreign lands - and also the similarities many of us will recognize. It's actually a tricky premise for a novel in that it could come over as a dusty work of sociology or end up like Pete McCarthy's jokey, shallow, over-rated "McCarthy's Bar". But Brown pulls it off with fresh writing, genuine wit, telling insight and above all a great affinity for the places he visits and the people he meets. My one quibble would be with the bits of dialogue with friends at the outset of the early chapters which read as bit studenty and unfunny. Intended to provide the author with a justification device for his travels, they just annoy.
That's a small complaint however about an otherwise excellent read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Whatever he's having., 14 Mar 2007
A. Miles (Al Khor, Qatar) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
On the very barest of excuses, our man Pete embarks on a 3 month international pub crawl and tells you about it. An unpromising premise, but this is packed with enough insight, history and entertaining anecdote to make the journey worthwhile. I was hoping for a bit more of an insight into beer drinking other than it being good for relaxing and socialising, but he was probably a bit hungover by the time he got to that bit. I don't drink beer but the book has made me book a trip to Belgium this summer to check his recommendations out.

4.0 out of 5 stars The truth about beer, 31 May 2007
Pete Brown wants to see whether there is a common thread that links beer drinkers worldwide, so he travels to those places where that honourable tradition is most respected, namely Madrid, Barcelona, Prague, London, Dublin, Brussels, Milwaukee, New York, Portland, Sydney, Penrith, Melbourne, Bendigo, Shanghai, Tokyo, Munich, Copenhagen, Helsingr, Sweden and...Barnsley. As you might expect there are some amusing adventures to be had, but the book is well worth reading for two other reasons. Firstly, it makes an irresistible travel guide and will make you desperate to re/visit a few places immediately (namely Barcelona, Madrid, Portland (!) and the Oktoberfest)and secondly, it manages to come to an important conclusion about beer; it's magical stuff that is essential for the continued sanity and sociality of all good cultures, and as a result every Pro-nanny state MP should be force-fed it's contents. This is no beardy, CAMRA lovers guide by the way...its about the feeling beer gives you. Beers in!

3.0 out of 5 stars Half full or half empty, 22 Aug 2013
zigzag (Warwickshire England) - See all my reviews
After about 100 pages of this book I was really enjoying it and already planning to buy other books by Mr Brown to read as soon as Id finished this one. But I feel that the subject matter here is just too narrow as by page 200 I feeling that each chapter was just more of the same in a different country (and this bloke does seem to know an extraordinary number of people around the world who he can bunk up with). By page 300 I had decided that I wasnt going to get any more of Mr Browns books, and Im now so bored to tears with the same story in different countries that Im not sure I have the stomach to reach the end.

The book is lightly writtem is enjoyable to start with, but just goes on for too long with only a limited subject matter to deal with.

Maybe Mr Brown should try to just write a light travel book without limiting himself by the subject (in this case beer).

3.0 out of 5 stars made me laugh, but, 23 Feb 2013
Albie (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
In places in the book Pete Brown made me smile, with his descriptions of the bars he visited and the people he met. But, I'm sorry to say, I just got bored with all the talk of beer and breweries eventually and never quite got to the end. For me, the variety of topics was just too limited but beer aficianados would appreciate it. I'd prefer him to write an out and out travel book.

3.0 out of 5 stars A fair read, 21 Feb 2014
A fair read but in the end a bit self-indulgent (but there again an international pub-crawl was always going to be wasn't it).

Much preferred Shakespeare's Local (and aim to read A Man Walks Into A Pub soon)

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant!, 12 Dec 2013
Well this straightaway became one of my favourite books (and I own a lot of books) - informative AND hilarious!
Mmmmn, beer :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Dec 2013
Have bought this for a friend who is a beer drinker. As a gift for Christmas, marvellous book. A must for the beer lover.

ARRAY(0xb26d3e64)