4.0 out of 5 stars Another dark and dangerous adventure
Several months have passed since the events in MORTAL COIL. Valkyrie's dating both the vampire Caelan and teleporter Fletcher and remains frightened of her potential to unleash Darquesse. When the Necromancers announce that they have already found their Death Bringer and it's the snotty Melancholia St Clair, she thinks that things might turn out okay afterall. Then she...
Published on 30 Nov. 2011 by I Read, Therefore I Blog

3.0 out of 5 stars Death Bringer
I guess the book was okay, but though Valkyrie was my favourite character thought the first few books, as soon as I read Death Bringer, I hated her. I especially hated the second-last chapter, because she could easily have teleported away with Fletcher, but she chose to stay and fight the vampire. Who just so happened to be my other favourite character. So.
Published 18 months ago by SAURABH MEHRA

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Soooooooo amazing!, 25 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Death Bringer (Skulduggery Pleasant, Book 6) (Skulduggery Pleasant series) (Kindle Edition)
I'm a huge fan of Derek Landy and anything he writes and this was no exception for me. In fact, I've been so in love with this book I decided to re-read the rest of the series too and I enjoyed doing so immensely.
For those who are unaware of the legend that is Skulduggery Pleasant then don't read any further, it will spoil the previous 5 books and we don't want that. For everyone else, read on for synopsis of Death Bringer (as seen on Goodreads):

Think you've seen anything yet? You haven't. Because the Death Bringer is about to rise...The Necromancers no longer need Valkyrie to be their Death Bringer, and that's a Good Thing.There's just one catch. There's a reason the Necromancers don't need her any more. And that's because they've found their Death Bringer already, the person who will dissolve the doors between life and death.And that's a very, very Bad Thing

Indeed it is a very bad thing, as I quickly discovered while reading this book! Death Bringer is following the trend in this series in the sense each book seems to get slightly darker, but this is in no way a bad thing and it certainly doesn't detract from the humour, as I was doubled up laughing on so many occasions I lost count.
One thing that always amazes me with this series is Landy's ability to put Valkyrie and Skulduggery in the most terrifying situations and still have them make a joke of it. It's just stupidly hilarious. I love it.

On a more serious note the threat increases, especially with Valkyrie still facing the fact she may turn into the terrifying sorcerer that is Darquesse and without spoiling things I will say that we learn a lot more about said evil sorcerer in this book and how she comes into being.
On a personal note, as much as I love Valkyrie, her slightly selfish streak comes out as her love life becomes slightly tangled and by the end of the book I had the urge to hit Caelan the vampire over the head with a vampire romance novel, (since he seemed to be spouting a lot of prose from one) even if some of it had me laughing.

With regards to Skulduggery himself, there was such a big 'wow I didn't see that coming' moment that I was left stunned for a little while and had to re-read the page I'd been reading. The effect it has on his relationship with Valkyrie is pretty intense, though I will say personally I think it makes them stronger in the end.
Taking both the big revelation about skulduggery and Valkyries supposed 'destiny' there is one amazing battle towards the end of the book that is truly breath taking and it isn't what you think it will be either.

Skulduggery's secrets aren't the only ones being spilt either as a lot more is revealed about China Sorrows, and some other characters that have been alluded to before make an appearance throughout the novel.
Even with all the revelations, fights and the 'passage' being brought into being there's laughs a plenty, a cute gurgling baby called Alice, a love-struck vampire and annoying brat named Melancholia St Claire (whom I hate) and lets not forget Lord Vile.

Anyway, it may be a good idea for me to wrap this review up before I accidentally post spoilers. But wow, this book is amazing. Just read it. READ IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, scary, brilliant, 1 Jan. 2012
M. Hills (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
My daughter, a good reader aged 11, absolutely loves these books, and this latest one is well up to scratch. I enjoy reading them too.
In among the plethora of books about vampires and other supernatural creatures, this series has an originallity that the others lack. The heroine is a feisty girl who grows up slowly through the series, her partner is a skeleton in a hat. They and their friends combat the baddies with intelligence and bravery.

If you like Harry Potter more than Twighlight, you'll probably like these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Skulduggery pleasant Death Bringer, 22 May 2012
Another fantastic installment to the Derek Landy penned saga! A gripping final battle! A clash of titans! A shock enemy for the duo and yet there are still those sweet moments which anyone can relate to(the twin cousins are as annoying as any of mine and yet you still feel affection for them). Landy has prue skill for creating irritating yet lovable characters. This novel is definately the darkest so far and yet also the most fun! Roll on the next please!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars read in three days!!, 5 Nov. 2011
John "I find Audible a life saver as I'm driv... (Baldock, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
My ten-year-old daughter took just three days to read this excellent book; the house has never been so quiet before!
Having already read it, I must say that it borders on the limit of what I (middle aged) what think was suitable for pre-teen, but she has read all the books so far and we have the brilliant audiobooks for long trips in the car as well.

Have to get some more books for my 'Bookworm' now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 1 Oct. 2011
The new skulduggery book is one of the best books ever, i read it in two sit downs and im hungrey for the 7th book, the rumers are that he started writing the 7th book just before christmas. But I just needed to write about this book id highly recommend this book if u havent read it and will try not to spoil the book with further comments, probly wont :

4.0 out of 5 stars Skulduggery Pleasant Death Bringer, 22 Feb. 2013
This is a good book and I am currently working my way through the collection however I have noticed that there is a few printing errors and some of the words don't show up on the page that well as they are faded however the previous book from the collection was worse as I had entire pages which were faded but this was brought from a different shop.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 23 Mar. 2014
This book is a great addition to the series, with all our favourite characters returning, and a great plot twist half-way through. This book contains many twists and turns and made me spend hours of solid reading, just to find out what happens next. If your building a collection of the series, this one is worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Skullduggery Pleasant : Death Bringer, 27 Oct. 2011
Death Bringer is another classic to add to your Skullduggery collection. It stands out as one of the more exciting ones, with twists and turns at every corner. If the next installment to the series is anything like this one, we're going to be in for another great adventure with Detective Plesant and Co.

5.0 out of 5 stars Skulduggery Pleasant, 17 Jun. 2014
Amazing series of books. Whether it be Good or Evil. Elemental or Necromancy. You will love this series of books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy crime thriller that is unique and addictive!!, 9 Jun. 2014
This series of books are wonderful! The characters are brilliant and you cannot stop reading as the stories capture your imagination and keep you enticed as they unravel, I've read the first seven books in only a few weeks, would have been in a few days if not working etc. I'm enjoying these books emensely but am anxious about when and where it will all end!

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›