"You don't have to put on your presentation suit or your presentation personality" - being you is all you'll ever need. What a welcome relief to hear this from the authors. As a voice coach and presentation skills trainer, this is something I always encourage.

Published on 7 May 2009 by Olivia Macdonnell

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the book I expected
Published on 4 Aug. 2003 by M. S. Hall

4.0 out of 5 stars "You don't have to put on your presentation suit or your presentation personality" - being you is all you'll ever need. What a, 7 May 2009

My personal feeling is that this book is not for the novice presenter, but it does offer a different and powerful approach to the art of presentation, through NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming). I would also say that some prior knowledge of NLP would be useful.

The book does offer undeniable advice, but it would be a challenge for any reader, sitting alone trying to figure it all out. I felt a practical course (on Presenting using NLP) is nearly imperative with this book. This is a book you'll dip in and out of over your presenting career.

What is the theme of the book?
The author describes the NLP approach to presenting as an attitude of mind rather than a set of techniques. The key message they strive to communicate throughout the book is encouraging "a presenter to be comfortable with being themselves. The book also explores and challenges the reader on personal limiting beliefs. Readers are questioned about that "fear" of presenting and we are given an insight into addressing insecurities and fears. This book at times is very thought provoking.

What I found valuable - Presence, Energy, Rapport
The book offers powerful techniques on how to establish strong presence, and positive energy with an audience. I thought the techniques on mental and physical preparation were excellent. I liked the sense of "being at one with the room. There is great insight into rapport, and audience connection.

Something different - Language & Structure
The book introduces an interesting angle on language usage (using NLP). If you are curious about the language skills of charismatic presenters you'll find some highly interesting insights in these chapters. Presenters are encouraged to develop presentations using metaphors, and are advised towards a simplistic approach to language, structure and content - "most of the big things in life are simple".

I'd recommend this book to experienced presenters or people who already have a basic understanding of NLP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure magic really, 29 Aug. 2001
...The book covers the usual NLP subjects plus Satir 'poses'. It also covers how to format a presenation for each personality type and alot more.
If you know NLP there is some repetition. If you want a comprehensive way to 'sort' people then Figuring Out People: Design Engineering With Meta-Programs is for you.
If you "need" to shine in front of a crowd and have fun doing it, then this book will help you do it easily and magically.
This book really is for everyone who is in business/education. Whether you need to update your boss on your latest project or give 45 a minute training to your colleagues or have to lecture to hundereds of people on a potetialy boring subject. this book really does provide you with the tools to do the job.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mainly fantastic - ignore the bunkum, 1 Feb. 2003
I bought this hoping to brighten up the technical seminars that I regularly present as part of my job. I was pig sick of droning on about the same old durge (with lots of powerpoint slides) to poor audiences of very bored engineers. Sorry to anyone who's had to endure me.
The book was a revelation. If you ignore the weird stuff about "energy" there are some great ideas that I have started to try recently - though I was nervous, the feedback I have had has been positive.
One example - the book explains how to get the audience into whatever state you like - in my case I want curiosity. Start to tell a story (metaphor) (book recommends a minimum of 3) but leave it unfinished until the end of your presentaion - you keep the audience thinking "He's got information that I need" all the way through.
When you finish they think "Now I have the answer" - not just to the story but to the subject that I want them to learn about.
Read it and try using some of the ideas, you will be doing your audience one huge favour.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unable to attend, 30 Sept. 2009
Sean Hammond (UK) - See all my reviews
Ideal buy if you are unable to attend the actual training.
Having trained with both Tad & David, I have found the book to be a good referace for those that have attended and also ideal training book for those that need to present in front of small or large crowds. I refere to this book often.
Can't attend,then buy the next best thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars A distillation of NLP trainer's training!, 14 Sept. 2004
Amazon Customer "Change specialist - coaching... (Manchester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a practical, step by step book about the NLP approach to presenting, with exercises every step of the way. Tad James and David Shephard are two very experienced trainers who have distilled much of their knowledge and experience into this book.
Does this give you everything you need to be a great presenter? Of course not - there are many approaches, particularly accelerated learning, which can usefully be added. But as a summary of what NLP can bring to the party, and particularly as a handbook for anyone designing a presentation skills course, this is a very useful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is amazing and is the most helpful book I've read to ..., 8 July 2014
This book is amazing and is the most helpful book I've read to date on the subject. Filled in a lot of gaps for me form reading other books and attending courses. Definitely worth the money and time investment to read it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the book I expected, 4 Aug. 2003
M. S. Hall "Mark Hall UK" (London) - See all my reviews
I personally thought 'Presenting Magically' was not all it advertised itself to be. In fact, after eagerly awaiting its arrival through the post I was disappointed from the opening chapter. This book is not for experienced trainers but those new to training - and even then it is not a comfortable read. I was actually quite upset to be taken in by the positive reviews it had been given. The book is pitched at a basic level, and the anecdotes and content lost in the last century. I know that's only 3 years ago, but I wrongly assumed it would carry something appropriate to this new millenium.
People are different today, they are more aware of themselves, the way they interact and the way they communicate. This book does not take this into account. Yes, the message inside is important and worth knowing, but the way the book has been positioned and presented is dated. If you are a seasoned trainer you do not need this book. If you are new to training, there are simpler books out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to read, 14 April 2015
This is a must read for anyone utilising their NLP skills in a training/presentation position. Very easy to read, with lots of practical examples and exercises.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful, Distinctive Guide, 25 Sept. 2006
D. A. Thompson "DT" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
The book provides a very useful overview of NLP presentation techniques, and provides exercises for people to use in practice. I've benefitted greatly as a presenter/trainer from what I've learned here, and I've applied the teachings in my work with clients. Very useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good practical guide, 11 Mar. 2005
Useful stuff to help you hone some of your training and presenting skills. It can take a bit of practice but the ideas do work. Thankfully there isn't too much of the NLP mumbo jumbo speak either.