5.0 out of 5 stars Innovative design, great sound. Impressive value for money!
The B&W C5 headphones are the newest addition to the headphone section of the company and what a great addition they are too.
Great sound with lovely response and great base define an innovative In Ear Monitor IEM.
Bowers and Wilkins are a company I have always highly respected. Even though I have never had the pleasure of owning any of their truly high end...
Published on 29 Nov. 2011 by Reviewser

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality cable - only lasts a few months before needing a replacement
I have had to send my pairs back 4 times over the course of 18 months with the same fault each time - the wire appears to degrade and the sound starts cutting out in one or both ears. Despite the service being excellent at B&W and getting a replacement and an apology every time, clearly I'm going to be left high and dry when the warranty runs out.

On top of...
Published 8 months ago by J1mmy

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Same problem. Left channel failed after 12 months., 30 April 2014
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins C5 In-Ear Headphones  B&W - Black (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
These are great headphones - easily the best in-ear sound i've ever heard.

It does seem like they have a design flaw though, that means they start to fail after some use.

A real shame and hopefully B&W will rectify this.

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, 26 Nov. 2014
Having owned headphones from Bose to other B&W headphones I thought I would give these a shot.

Packaging was lovely and gave you a sense these are high in quality. It was a pain to get everything open though!

The headphones themselves felt cheap, the wire felt flimsy and the shell of the headphones in my case was scratched to bits already. Also the lop thing was uncomfortable (Bose IE are so much more comfortable).

As for sound, they were pretty good. The sound a little dull at times. My P5s and the Atomic Floyd Superdarts are on another level. Would highly recommend the Atomic Floyd headphones especially.

After opening and testing I actually sent them straight back due to the disappointment in quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Truly excellent sound - but cable is fragile., 24 Nov. 2014
I love these headphones. They sound absolutely fantastic once you learn how to fit them properly - find the right pad size, and the technique of tugging the top of your ear as you push the bud into your ear, to create a firm and lasting seal. The only down-side is the cable seems to break internally after a certain amount of use, causing one or both headphones to suddenly become 1/10th as loud. I had this happen after 2 months of owning a pair, and it was replaced for free. But now the replacement has failed in the same way after 1 year of use (out of warranty). So I think I'm going to have to try something else... (I would give 5 stars if not for this design flaw).

3.0 out of 5 stars Otherwise wonderful but let down by cable noise, 4 Jan. 2012
I've always preferred in ear phones and after many years of purchasing earphones from 40-70, I decided to step up a gear. B&W are a brand I'm familiar with and trust and following good reviews, I opted for the C5's.

Pro:
From my first listen I was very impressed with the depth and detail. These earphones have a well rounded and solid, full sound that really engaged me.

Neutral:
Whilst it doesn't do any harm, I'm not convinced of the necessity for the unusual, in ear cable that's designed to secure and stabilize the bud whilst its in your ear. It's a little fiddly.

Con:
Now for my big gripe. I don't suppose anyone purchases in-ear phones for listening at home. The point of small, lightweight and unobtrusive in-ear phones is for listening on the move. But with the C5's, as soon as you move the cable rustles or bounces on your clothing and, especially on the left ear (due to the on-cable volume control), the vibrations transmit right into your ear, something I've never experienced on an earphone of any price before. The result is a continuous dull thudding and rustling noise that totally ruins the otherwise brilliant sound.

Instead of the standard soft rubber casing on the majority of earphone wires, B&W have opted for a more rigid (and more delicate feeling) clear casing and this it seems, is the problem; it doesn't insulate the cable from outside noise.

So, in the unlikely event that you want to sit and use these at home, they sound brilliant. If you don't, you may well be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pair of In-Ear headphones, 27 April 2013
M. Tubb "Free as a bird..." (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
I am a huge music fan and as such, wished to get some (for me anyway) higher-end phones. After looking at various review sites and trying out pairs in assorted shops, I decided to go for the B&W.
I've had a pair of B&W speakers as part of my home stereo set-up for the past 20 years and they have served me well so this did influence my decision.
Upon first listen these ear phones are incredible. I was hearing little things (instruments, effects, even breath of the artists) that I had previously not noticed. As an experiment, I also decided to play them via a DAC and my MacbookPro - stunning.
They may seem pricey, but in my humble opinion they are well and truly worth it on sound quality alone. My only gripe (and it is a minor one) is that the bass can sometimes sound a little 'overpowering'.
In terms of comfort and fit - the quite unique style of these phones is fantastic. They are firmly (but not painfully) lodges in my ears and the noise-isolation of them is first class for this type of earphone.
Very pleased and would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for my partner, 14 Mar. 2013
What do you buy the man who has everything or can get anything? I bought these for my man for Christmas because I knew he would never have paid this for earphones himself. i'm not an expert however I know he loves music and has spent lots of money on expensive amps and speakers giving me chapter and verse on the various nuances of sound quality. He really rates these, wears them for cycling and in the gym and never complains that they fall out or hurt and i have recently caught him raving to a mate about them saying that the sound continues to improve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones, 31 May 2013
Bought these from Amazon great service, always bought Shure headphones in the past, always had problems with the connection at the headphones with the insulation coming a way etc. these B &W are a solid connection and very secure in your ear, sound as good as the Shure and slightly cheaper.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Fit, 7 Jan. 2012
Jason Darragh (Sunbury on Thames) - See all my reviews
One of the most important factors for me when choosing new earphones is how well they fit, not only for comfort but to ensure there is as little sound leakage as possible, in addition a better fit will determine the quality of sound you hear within, in particular bass levels.

Bowers & Wilkins are actually a brand I had known for years from their excellent speaker designs and this is their second entry into the headphone / earphone market. After reading many reviews I was sold on the "secure loop design" whereby an innovative, adjustable loop sits just under the ridge of your ear to ensure a secure and comfortable fit that doesn't cause any discomfort over time. Added to this, the weighty tungsten design of the earpiece helps to keep the earpiece well inside the ear.

The design is simply stunning, a real winner and like nothing else around.

Four soft rubber tips are available for you to wear to find the best size fit and as always its essential you do as it immediately becomes apparent which is the correct one as your head is filled with the booming low end that these phones emit, you may find it necessary to lower the equalizer settings on your player as some tracks may sound bloated on initial use.

The Bowers & Wilkins C5's have been designed to provide an open sound which may not feel right inside your head as with most earphones but rather a wide, natural sound stage, this for me actually gives it that bigger, concert like performance. Your head is filled with deep baselines, crisp highs and luscious tones, vocals are enriched and the whole sound stage is a joy to listen to.

The earphone cord contains controls for "i" products if this is your thing and a snazzy case is also thrown in for keeping the earphones safe.

Lets be honest the price you pay for these is premium, however these are by no means expensive compared to some available on the market BUT without doubt the research that has been done to come up with the design and sound reproduction is obvious upon opening up and experiencing the music that flows through, they really are a perfect fit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing until one of the earphones stops working, 29 Aug. 2014
Amazing until one of the earphones stops working. Has happened once to me and I've read about plenty of other owners having the same issue. To their credit BW replaced my set very quickly, for free, and they've been fine since. However I'm slightly concerned it might happen again and they'll be out of the warranty period.

Sound = truly fantastic and WELL worth the money.

Cables are strong and thick and don't tangle as easily as other earphones.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst headphones I have ever had. Avoid., 6 Feb. 2014
Mr. A. HILL - See all my reviews
I have had these for nearly a year now and they sit in the bottom of my draw and will never be used again.

Firstly the good bit, they did sound reasonably nice when used however I would not recommend them as being amazing and they are expensive.

The bad bits. The cable is very stiff and this only gets worse over time making the user experience annoying as you regularly feel the cable rubbing. As they got older this got worse to the point that the coil of cable which keeps them in your ears now actually forces them our of your ears. On the end of the cable where it joins the ear piece is a small black piece of plastic which doesn't seem to have any function apart from move around forcing you to move it back when placing it in your ear, then they just pop put again.

Doing a 4 hour daily commute to London every day the headphones have been really well used but always well protected in their case and then a bag. The case provided not only protects them reasonably well but it also causes the cable to coil up badly and being a stiff cable with a very good memory the coiling affect just gets worse and worse.

Interestingly a couple of other commuters who I see in the train most mornings also had these headphones when I purchased mine and they were partly to blame as I thought they must be good if several people in the same carriage were using them. I just wish I had introduced myself and asked what they thought. Needless to say we all know each other to chat to now and none of us use these headphones any more !!!! Two of us went to Bose on ear and full earphones and both stopped working very quickly. Amazon were amazing at refunding mine after 5 months. The only headphones which are still going strong are AKG.

If you want quality headphones which your travelling neighbor wont TUT at you for the escaping noise and which will last, sound good and survive regular portable use then DO NOT PURCHASE THESE. Probably the worse technology purchase I've ever made and I've not been as disappointed with a purchase after being so excited to buy a premium high quality brand.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›