Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 8 July 2012
I saw the Femi Temowo Quintet playing in Hebden Bridge on 5 July 2012 and bought the CD from the man himself. The gig was a fantastic experience - the band really connected with each other and with the audience, and the atmosphere was "High Life" indeed!

As ever I had doubts as to whether the CD would capture the spirit - but it does, and goes a lot further, with a wider palette of sounds and instruments, which I find myself becoming totally immersed in. So much so that while listening to it on the motorway I missed my turning!

The musicianship is of a very high standard, but this CD goes way beyond that in its sense of transcendent joy. These are thoughtful compositions with hummable tunes and unusual, infectious rhythms. The talking drum brings a real sense of place and history. The recording quality is lovely and captures the beautiful tone of the instruments. Fermi's voice sounds really good on the CD, but the highlight for me is the expressive, warm, singing tone of his guitar.

Strongly recommended.

Femi Temowo's website is worth a visit: (...)