Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 October 2012
After waiting 3 years since Echo, Leona is finally back and stronger than ever! This album has a darker and more experimental feel to it. With ventures into a more electronic sound and even dub-step, this album is definitely different to her previous efforts, Echo and Spirit. However, saying that, Lewis pulls it off well. With her voice soaring over the heavy, beat-driven, dub-step influenced "Come Alive", she proves she can excel at fitting in to current trends, while adding her own flare. Continuing with this style is the sublime "Glassheart", the title track. More upbeat than "Come Alive", it brings Leona to new levels in the Dance/Pop world.

Despite this new direction, the classic Leona we know and love is not gone! With the mid-tempos "Un Love Me" and "Lovebird", both reminiscent of "Better In Time" and "I Got You", she is able to bind her new direction with flavours from the past, keeping the album fresh, but not foreign to her fans. With the addition of the sombre "I To You", haunting "Fingerprint" and beautiful "Fireflies" as well, Leona manages to incoperate what she is known best for, her ballads. Each with a different feel, but all propelled by Leona's vocals, these 3 songs will not disappoint and are definite highlights of the album.

Moving on to the other uptempos, 80s influenced "Shake You Up" and the Rihanna-esque "Favourite Scar", fans will be pleasantly surprised at the attitude given in these songs and unable to stop themselves from grooving to them! "Stop The Clocks", seperating the two previously mentioned songs, offers a laid-back Spirit-esque interlude between the two uptempos and places perfectly in the album. While the midtempo ballad "When It Hurts" is very reminiscent of Echo and meshes well with the overall sound of the album.

Overall, this album is by far Leona's strongest album. Taking influences from both Spirit and Echo and combining them with a new experimental sound has made for, what I feel, is the best album of 2012.
VINE VOICEon 18 October 2012
Leona Lewis has a phenomenal voice, anyone who watched the series of X Factor on which she appeared, or has seen her perform on TV shows since or indeed has seen her perform live can confirm this. I was lucky enough to attend Leona's first and to date only UK tour and she was incredible. So it was with eager anticipation I waited for the release Glassheart (and boy have we been made to wait!). I enjoyed 'Collide' and was disappointed by the widely held perception that it flopped. By contrast I was sceptical about 'Trouble' and I have to admit it is only after repeated listens that the track has really grown on me. I really feel this was the wrong choice of lead single and this has been borne out by its somewhat mediocre chart placing. Here are my thoughts on the rest of the album:

1. Trouble- At first I found this quite dull, however it has now grown on me and the ethereal sounding verses contrasted by the dramatic drums and powerful chorus mean that this really is an album highlight. That said I do feel because of its 'grower' status it shouldn't have been the track to lead the album. 9/10

2. Un Love Me- A very typical Leona track, this would have been right at home on Echo. It's mid-tempo pop in which Leona asks a lover quite simply to 'un love her', despite its clear grammatical flaws a thoroughly decent second track. 8/10

3. Lovebird- I had heard quite a few positive reviews in relation to this track, however in my opinion it's just OK. The chorus feels quite clicheed both lyrically and melodically. Definitely an album track. 6.5/10

4. Come Alive- This is the first sign that this isn't going to be quite the same album we have come to expect from Leona. 'I don't mind if it rains' Leona sings with angst in her voice in the opening lines. This is an uptempo track featuring dubstep, but that it is juxtaposed with the pain of the lyrics and that can clearly be heard in Leona's voice. Super. 8.5/10

5. Fireflies- This ballad is quite simply sublime. It is about someone who has commited suicide, and the track takes the appropriate tone for such a subject matter. Leona's vocals really shine hear and although I am no fan, in general, of choirs featuring on songs here it really, really works and makes for an epic track. I would choose this as a future single. 10/10

6. I To You- This again is something a bit different for Leona. On this track she is playing the downtrodden, subservient housewife who will do anything for the one she loves, but begins to question this on the dramatic chorus. An enjoyable track. 8/10

7. Shake You Up- Many have compared this to an 80's Whitney track and I have to say that feels fair to me. It's the second properly uptempo track on the album and is a real throwback. It suits Leona's voice and it's clear she's having a blast singing it. 9/10

8. Stop The Clocks- I think the title of the review says all I need to say on this track. I'm unsure quite why it was felt necessary to include this mawdling and rather dull ballad. 4/10

9. Favourite Scar- Thankfully Leona has chosen two excellent tracks to sandwich 'Stop The Clocks'. Favourite Scar is a track on which Leona experiments with a reggae sound to her voice not previously explored and it works it really does. I even feel as though the autotune works well with the sound here. It's instantly catchy and could be a single contender. 9.5/10

10. When It Hurts- A Ryan Tedder-style ballad with crashing drums and sweeping vocals. It's not the most memorable track here, but it's enjoyable while it's playing. 7/10

11. Glassheart- Leona once again delves into the murky world of dubstep here and with even more success than on 'Come Alive' in my book. Leona's fragile falsetto juxtaposes superbly with the deep beats on this track as Leona sings about her glass heart. If this is not the second single then something has gone very, very wrong. I genuinely believe this could hit no.1 and help to sell the album. 10/10

12. Fingerprint- A final Leona ballad and it's a pleasant way to end the album. I daresay this track won't be the one that sticks with you for hours after the album has finished, but it's more than deserving of it's place as the closing track. 7.5/10

BONUS: Trouble (feat. Childish Gambino)- What a fantastic name 'Childish Gambino' has and I have to say the rap he contributes to Trouble only serves to further enhance this ethereal masterpiece. 9/10

Overall therefore this album is more than worth parting with your hard-earned cash for, if only to ensure that Leona continues to get the opportunity to make more music and tour. Although I still believe Leona is yet to fulfil her full potential this is a strong album on the whole enhanced by Leona's fantastic vocals.
on 5 July 2013
I am a fan of Leona Lewis, I think she's down to earth and has a beautiful voice. However, I really feel like she's struggling with her musical direction. I can understand her wanting to move away from the ballads (as much as everyone loves them) because she wants to experiment a bit and explore the wider range of her empathic singing.

Prior to releasing this album I heard her cover of Color Blind, which I thought was great. Hurt and Iris also expressed her new foray into deeper emotions. This made me hopeful for the album, but to be honest I've listened to it several times and the only songs I can remember are Trouble and I to You. In both of these songs I liked that she was trying something new by inhabiting more questionable personas, and all credit to her she does make them sound quite haunting. Otherwise I hope she manages to get it right for the next album, as I really do like her.

This is now the second time that she has released (or not released and it's leaked online) great songs that she hasn't put on the album. I wonder who is having the biggest say on her uninspiring track list, it's such a shame because she's capable of much more powerful music than this.
VINE VOICEon 15 October 2012
Back when Leona won the X Factor in the UK she was hailed as 'the next Whitney Houston' and with the phenomenal success worldwide of 'Bleeding Love' it looked highly likely. However, despite a rather strong debut she was just as quickly criticised for not living up to expectations. I remember when I first got 'Echo' I was a little disappointed with the melancholy feel across the whole album, and it took a while for me to connect with the songs. 'Echo' was by no means a flop but it went largely unnoticed in the US and it seemed Leona had disappeared just like the rest of the UK X Factor winners.

Rumour has it when 'Collide' didn't go down as well as was hoped 'Glassheart' was shelved to shift the focus away from dance orientated music that Leona had been recording. I would praise this decision as while 'Collide' is a catchy song it is far too meaningless for the potential of a voice like Leona's. It always seemed more of a 'feature' track to me. I would have happily welcomed it on an Avicii album but not a Leona one, so I'm glad to see it absent here.

I'm pleased to say there is a lot to like on 'Glassheart' and it seems very evident that Leona is trying to mould a distinct sound for herself instead of relying on the talents of all the best songwriters and producers Syco can team her up with. I would say this album sits comfortably between 'Spirit' and 'Echo'. If I had to sum up the album I would say it is mostly full of anthemic midtempo power numbers. Think 'I Will Be' with the driving piano or 'Happy' with those infectious Ryan Tedder beats. 'Lovebird' is a great example of that.

Leona will always do ballads the best justice but they seem to be taken to a different place on this album. On 'Fireflies' you hear a beautiful contrast between piano accompaniment and heavier electro accompaniment coming in later. I was drawn in throughout. For the purest you have 'Fingerprint' which I would describe as the 'Footprints in the Sand' on this album, a largely stripped back ballad. One for the fans who loved Leona's rendition of 'Run'

Biggest surprise for me was the poptastic 'Shake You Up' which channels 1980s pop not dissimilar to Whitney Houston in that era. 'Forgive Me' with Akon was not the best attempt to go poppy but 'Shake You Up' gives me a lot of faith in Leona to experiment with funkier pop sounds next time around. Even Leona's attempt to incorporate dubstep in the lead track 'Glassheart' is not awful. It's a very well produced track but is heavy on vocal processing and effects due to the dubstep nature. I have no qualms in it being included but if this is anything to go by what the 'Glassheart' album was originally you'll probably agree the album would have lost the voice of Leona and moved focus to the club ready beats. Leona is far better than that.

All in all this album is the rebirth of Leona Lewis and I'd be confident to say she'll be sticking around a while yet! Third time lucky!
on 15 October 2012
I've been waiting for this album like FOREVER! After listening to "Collide", I started having a better opinion about Leona Lewis. I always believed she was, indisputably, a strong vocalist, but she never caught my attention. After thoroughly listening to "Echo" all summer (now being one of my favourite albums), my anticipation was building up. Then, she performed "Come alive" live and that was it, I was officially obsessed! I wanted "Glassheart" so badly; I wanted to discover all the surprises that the album had to offer. And my first surprise came along with the tracklist. NO "Collide"! I mean, who throws away such a great song? I was let down but still wanted to see how the album turned out. Finally, it's a bit safe with a few edgier tracks, but all in all a masterpiece. Better than "Echo", no. It will be difficultly topped. But that's A-OK! She managed to combine dark with happy, techno and dance with power ballads, all wrapped in one with a cute ribbon on it! The whole album managed to get an instant 5/5 in my music library. It touched my heart and haunted me with its lyrics and melodies.

The absolute highlights of this album are: Lovebird, Come alive, fireflies, I to you, favourite scar and the one and only Glassheart." Come alive" is a haunting techno ballad that one will fall in love with instantly." Glassheart" is the ultimate dance ballad that, if released, will be an unsurprising club jam and #1 hit; it reminds me of Justin Bieber's "Beauty and a Beat", but this is a lot better. The rest of the highlights are great ballads and mid-tempos whose melody will play on repeat in your head. As for the rest of the album tracks, they are pop gems, no fillers, no mediocrities.

The deluxe bonus disc includes acoustic versions of "Trouble", "Come alive" and "Glassheart", "Colorblind" taken from "Hurt: The EP", a brand new song called "Sugar" and Afrojack's remix of "Collide". It's a great addition to the album worth every penny.

This album convinced me that Leona Lewis is here to stay and the greatness of "Echo" wasn't something that accidentally happened. She is super-talented, fierce and proves that the artist's impact on a record raises it on a whole different level. The album would be best if it actually included the original version of "Collide" and used a better cover, but that's what Japanese releases are for, right?

P.S.: I would have lived without the single version of "Trouble" which features Childish Gambino, on the album!
on 3 September 2015
I read the reviews before I purchase this album and wasn't expecting much from. The comments stating it wasn't as good as spirit or echo but I must say I was pleasantly suprised I listened through the whole album and there are some good songs on there maybe they ain't as popular as the spirit or echo album because this album wasn't promoted properly ? Or promoted enough ?
But there are some good song like trouble ,unlove me,fingerprint,when it hurts,
But I must say I really do like fireflies I listen to that over and over and over again really good song with a really strong meaning to it and the words
on 28 October 2012
This album is very different to the other two. This is what I love about her. She is so versatile she can do absolutely anything.

All songs have meaning and they are all special in their own ways.

I can't fault her, I will support everything she does in the future. I just wish she was noticed more compared to other artists.
on 15 October 2012
Three years it's taken...three long years!! But boy was it worth the wait...

There isn't one track that I skip....every one's a belter, with my personal stand-outs being Fireflies and Fingerprint but the one that sums up the 'new' Leona is the thumping title track - Glassheart - it's had rave reviews from non-Leona fans as well as her own.... if this isn't her next single, there's something seriously wrong with Syco's decision-making team, and they should all be fired!!!

Buy this album now - it's worth every penny!!
on 18 October 2012
I pre-ordered this over a year ago - the release date was put back twice- but it was worth the wait. I was a tad apprehensive, having read mediocre reviews in the press, and been disappointed with her performance on X Factor (is it just me or is the sound quality on that programme always dire?) If you liked the first two albums, I'm sure you will like this one, packed with songs to suit her unique vocal style. No standout or weak tracks for me- they are all good, and that's after just one listen. One other thing worth a mention: if you are of a certain age and put off by references to dub-style, techno etc, don't be - it's all done in the best possible taste!Just looking forward to the tour next May now.
on 23 February 2013
I heard that her album had not done as well as she had hoped but trust me when I say that if you listened to this from start to finish it WILL become your most favoure album that will be on repeat for months. I LOVE glassheart.

She takes a break from just pop and blends a little more of a dance beat to the background of her songs which gives an up tempo feel to some. There is also a few of the big vocal songs too and my favourite tracks are Glassheart and Fireflies ahhh CHILLS.