5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I had hoped for!
Published 21 months ago by Billy

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull, so dull
There's absolutely no denying how fantastic this woman's voice is and she has made some masterpiece ballads in her time ("Broken" and "Alive"), however after her disappointing second album I expected her third to be a catchy well produced collection of ballads and up-tempo songs.
Published 13 months ago by Pen Name

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I had hoped for!, 15 Oct 2012
This review is from: Glassheart (MP3 Download)
After waiting 3 years since Echo, Leona is finally back and stronger than ever! This album has a darker and more experimental feel to it. With ventures into a more electronic sound and even dub-step, this album is definitely different to her previous efforts, Echo and Spirit. However, saying that, Lewis pulls it off well. With her voice soaring over the heavy, beat-driven, dub-step influenced "Come Alive", she proves she can excel at fitting in to current trends, while adding her own flare. Continuing with this style is the sublime "Glassheart", the title track. More upbeat than "Come Alive", it brings Leona to new levels in the Dance/Pop world.

Despite this new direction, the classic Leona we know and love is not gone! With the mid-tempos "Un Love Me" and "Lovebird", both reminiscent of "Better In Time" and "I Got You", she is able to bind her new direction with flavours from the past, keeping the album fresh, but not foreign to her fans. With the addition of the sombre "I To You", haunting "Fingerprint" and beautiful "Fireflies" as well, Leona manages to incoperate what she is known best for, her ballads. Each with a different feel, but all propelled by Leona's vocals, these 3 songs will not disappoint and are definite highlights of the album.

Moving on to the other uptempos, 80s influenced "Shake You Up" and the Rihanna-esque "Favourite Scar", fans will be pleasantly surprised at the attitude given in these songs and unable to stop themselves from grooving to them! "Stop The Clocks", seperating the two previously mentioned songs, offers a laid-back Spirit-esque interlude between the two uptempos and places perfectly in the album. While the midtempo ballad "When It Hurts" is very reminiscent of Echo and meshes well with the overall sound of the album.

Overall, this album is by far Leona's strongest album. Taking influences from both Spirit and Echo and combining them with a new experimental sound has made for, what I feel, is the best album of 2012.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull, so dull, 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: Glassheart (Audio CD)
Utterly disappointed by this. All these songs are bland generic house beats with tuneless melodies which Leona sings over.
Not one memorable melody. Not one heart-rendering ballad. Okay, "Trouble" is beautiful and very well produced. A beautiful ballad and by far my favourite on the whole album.
"Come Alive" acoustic version is the best, the album version sounds like a forgettable house beat that even J-Lo could have released but the acoustic version is signature Leona, showcasing her beautiful vocals.
Would I recommend buying? Yes, when it's in the discount section in HMV (I actually believe it already is?). Don't purchase for more than a fiver.

4.0 out of 5 stars From the sublime to 'Stop the Clocks', 18 Oct 2012
Sam "kingathon" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Glassheart (MP3 Download)
Leona Lewis has a phenomenal voice, anyone who watched the series of X Factor on which she appeared, or has seen her perform on TV shows since or indeed has seen her perform live can confirm this. I was lucky enough to attend Leona's first and to date only UK tour and she was incredible. So it was with eager anticipation I waited for the release Glassheart (and boy have we been made to wait!). I enjoyed 'Collide' and was disappointed by the widely held perception that it flopped. By contrast I was sceptical about 'Trouble' and I have to admit it is only after repeated listens that the track has really grown on me. I really feel this was the wrong choice of lead single and this has been borne out by its somewhat mediocre chart placing. Here are my thoughts on the rest of the album:

1. Trouble- At first I found this quite dull, however it has now grown on me and the ethereal sounding verses contrasted by the dramatic drums and powerful chorus mean that this really is an album highlight. That said I do feel because of its 'grower' status it shouldn't have been the track to lead the album. 9/10

2. Un Love Me- A very typical Leona track, this would have been right at home on Echo. It's mid-tempo pop in which Leona asks a lover quite simply to 'un love her', despite its clear grammatical flaws a thoroughly decent second track. 8/10

3. Lovebird- I had heard quite a few positive reviews in relation to this track, however in my opinion it's just OK. The chorus feels quite clicheed both lyrically and melodically. Definitely an album track. 6.5/10

4. Come Alive- This is the first sign that this isn't going to be quite the same album we have come to expect from Leona. 'I don't mind if it rains' Leona sings with angst in her voice in the opening lines. This is an uptempo track featuring dubstep, but that it is juxtaposed with the pain of the lyrics and that can clearly be heard in Leona's voice. Super. 8.5/10

5. Fireflies- This ballad is quite simply sublime. It is about someone who has commited suicide, and the track takes the appropriate tone for such a subject matter. Leona's vocals really shine hear and although I am no fan, in general, of choirs featuring on songs here it really, really works and makes for an epic track. I would choose this as a future single. 10/10

6. I To You- This again is something a bit different for Leona. On this track she is playing the downtrodden, subservient housewife who will do anything for the one she loves, but begins to question this on the dramatic chorus. An enjoyable track. 8/10

7. Shake You Up- Many have compared this to an 80's Whitney track and I have to say that feels fair to me. It's the second properly uptempo track on the album and is a real throwback. It suits Leona's voice and it's clear she's having a blast singing it. 9/10

8. Stop The Clocks- I think the title of the review says all I need to say on this track. I'm unsure quite why it was felt necessary to include this mawdling and rather dull ballad. 4/10

9. Favourite Scar- Thankfully Leona has chosen two excellent tracks to sandwich 'Stop The Clocks'. Favourite Scar is a track on which Leona experiments with a reggae sound to her voice not previously explored and it works it really does. I even feel as though the autotune works well with the sound here. It's instantly catchy and could be a single contender. 9.5/10

10. When It Hurts- A Ryan Tedder-style ballad with crashing drums and sweeping vocals. It's not the most memorable track here, but it's enjoyable while it's playing. 7/10

11. Glassheart- Leona once again delves into the murky world of dubstep here and with even more success than on 'Come Alive' in my book. Leona's fragile falsetto juxtaposes superbly with the deep beats on this track as Leona sings about her glass heart. If this is not the second single then something has gone very, very wrong. I genuinely believe this could hit no.1 and help to sell the album. 10/10

12. Fingerprint- A final Leona ballad and it's a pleasant way to end the album. I daresay this track won't be the one that sticks with you for hours after the album has finished, but it's more than deserving of it's place as the closing track. 7.5/10

BONUS: Trouble (feat. Childish Gambino)- What a fantastic name 'Childish Gambino' has and I have to say the rap he contributes to Trouble only serves to further enhance this ethereal masterpiece. 9/10

Overall therefore this album is more than worth parting with your hard-earned cash for, if only to ensure that Leona continues to get the opportunity to make more music and tour. Although I still believe Leona is yet to fulfil her full potential this is a strong album on the whole enhanced by Leona's fantastic vocals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Glassheart (Audio CD)
Leona Lewis can not put a foot wrong in my book, a great CD, well produced and Leona sounds amazing as always.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Glassheart (Audio CD)
I have all Leona's previous albums and waited a while before getting this one. I was really pleasantly surprised as it's more upbeat than her previous work but maintains her amazingly perfect voice. Play this over and over because it's so easy to listen to. Hope Leona will be around a long time because she has a genuinely amazing talent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, 24 Dec 2013
This review is from: Glassheart (Audio CD)
Another great CD, nice to listen to in the car, Leona Lewis has a good voice, well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Album, 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: Glassheart (Audio CD)
Could'nt found this Cd in Sweden,but as usual You save my day. Glassheart are a great album from Miss Lewis.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 15 Nov 2013
Ms. W. G. Dodd (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Glassheart (Audio CD)
If you like Leona you will love this 3rd album - she goes from strength to strength since her X facter win

4.0 out of 5 stars A step in the right direction, 15 Oct 2012
Benson (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Glassheart (Audio CD)
Back when Leona won the X Factor in the UK she was hailed as 'the next Whitney Houston' and with the phenomenal success worldwide of 'Bleeding Love' it looked highly likely. However, despite a rather strong debut she was just as quickly criticised for not living up to expectations. I remember when I first got 'Echo' I was a little disappointed with the melancholy feel across the whole album, and it took a while for me to connect with the songs. 'Echo' was by no means a flop but it went largely unnoticed in the US and it seemed Leona had disappeared just like the rest of the UK X Factor winners.

Rumour has it when 'Collide' didn't go down as well as was hoped 'Glassheart' was shelved to shift the focus away from dance orientated music that Leona had been recording. I would praise this decision as while 'Collide' is a catchy song it is far too meaningless for the potential of a voice like Leona's. It always seemed more of a 'feature' track to me. I would have happily welcomed it on an Avicii album but not a Leona one, so I'm glad to see it absent here.

I'm pleased to say there is a lot to like on 'Glassheart' and it seems very evident that Leona is trying to mould a distinct sound for herself instead of relying on the talents of all the best songwriters and producers Syco can team her up with. I would say this album sits comfortably between 'Spirit' and 'Echo'. If I had to sum up the album I would say it is mostly full of anthemic midtempo power numbers. Think 'I Will Be' with the driving piano or 'Happy' with those infectious Ryan Tedder beats. 'Lovebird' is a great example of that.

Leona will always do ballads the best justice but they seem to be taken to a different place on this album. On 'Fireflies' you hear a beautiful contrast between piano accompaniment and heavier electro accompaniment coming in later. I was drawn in throughout. For the purest you have 'Fingerprint' which I would describe as the 'Footprints in the Sand' on this album, a largely stripped back ballad. One for the fans who loved Leona's rendition of 'Run'

Biggest surprise for me was the poptastic 'Shake You Up' which channels 1980s pop not dissimilar to Whitney Houston in that era. 'Forgive Me' with Akon was not the best attempt to go poppy but 'Shake You Up' gives me a lot of faith in Leona to experiment with funkier pop sounds next time around. Even Leona's attempt to incorporate dubstep in the lead track 'Glassheart' is not awful. It's a very well produced track but is heavy on vocal processing and effects due to the dubstep nature. I have no qualms in it being included but if this is anything to go by what the 'Glassheart' album was originally you'll probably agree the album would have lost the voice of Leona and moved focus to the club ready beats. Leona is far better than that.

All in all this album is the rebirth of Leona Lewis and I'd be confident to say she'll be sticking around a while yet! Third time lucky!

5.0 out of 5 stars LEGENDARY MASTERPIECE!, 27 Oct 2012
Nudapco "LUCIANO49" (LUCIANO49) - See all my reviews
This is in my top 3 best albums of all time,ever! This album cannot really be explained but a word i can use is transcendent! This in my opinion is what every diva in the history of music dreamt of being. Not even Whitney Houston can touch this and i loved her too!Mariah and all the well known divas should learn from Leona and go back to their roots to actually produce something this life changing and soul shattering! Everytime i hear one of her amazing songs and the meaning of it i feel like my very existence is being changed into something more innocent and pure!Just like Michael Jackson changed a generation with thriller, GLASSHEART is the generation changing album of our time.Leona ,God has truly blessed you with this talent and the time it took you to make this album was worth every second! We all waited and finally the wait is over!

Glassheart
Glassheart by Leona Lewis (Audio CD - 2012)