5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent coffee with the minimum of fuss **update**
I bought this as my previous espresso maker from Krups was on the way out. I've had it for nearly 5 years. In that time it'd dispensed many hundreds of coffees but it was a very manual machine.

Published on 16 Sept. 2012 by Dabbler

2.0 out of 5 stars Good coffee, but machine malfunctioned after just 4 months
No complaints about the coffee, but the milk dispensing function has failed after just four months. Yes, of course, I can return it, but that's not really the point is it? Have bought a number of similar devices over the last 18 months and none have been heavily used, but every single one has failed after a fairly short period of use. Clearly manufacturers want to...
Published 4 months ago by Stephen Gale

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent coffee with the minimum of fuss **update**, 16 Sept. 2012
Dabbler (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Delonghi EN520.R Nespresso Lattissima Plus Coffee Maker - Red (Kitchen & Home)

If I was going to replace it I wanted something equally as impressive but I was looking for an automatic machine this time round. I had looked at the previous generation of nespresso latissima machines but most of them seemed to get unfavourable reviews with regards the hotness of the drinks they dispensed.

I was a little nervous about this fact when ordering this machine but I'm happy to save the drinks are plenty hot enough although sometimes I think they could be a little hotter.

I'm happy to report that this machine is easy to clean something that was a little problematic on my previous machine, not helped by the fact that now and again I would forget that there was a capsule loaded and they would burst when passing steam through the milk frother.

The automatic cleaning sequence on this is very easy and very short, also the separate milk container needs cleaning separately, and all the intricate parts of the milk container can be dismantled for easy cleaning. Although when you do run the milk cleaning sequence make sure that you're at the end of the milk in the container because as somebody else pointed out it does pass water into the milk container. I haven't yet had to descaled the machine but it looks like a fast process is quite easy to although they do recommend you use nespresso branded descaling kits at 7 pounds each this could end up being expensive.

Update
after a few weeks the unit needed descaling, a semi automatic process that takes about 20 minutes and is quite noisy as the pump runs all the time,

The automatic power down function is great as I no longer have to think about whether I turned my coffee machine off when I'm half way to work.

I do like the fact that you can tailor the drinks to your own specifications in terms of the amount of water used and the amount of milk. There is also an adjustment on the milk container to change how frothy the milk is, I like mine pretty frothy thing in the morning.

The quality of the plastics on this machine look really good although it isn't a patch on my previous machine in terms of build quality that thing weighed a ton. One thing I really don't get is why the silver version of this machine is so much more expensive than the others, I bought the red one and I wasn't prepared to spend so much extra on the silver version it's not as if it's even made out of metal, it's just silver painted plastic!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great machine for coffee lovers, 25 Sept. 2011
Mr. J. R. Trinder "jacktrinder" (Chester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was a bit apprehensive when I first got this machine. I was worried by the fact that it comes with coffee pods rather then 'real' coffee and that would mean it would taste horrible but I was pleasantly surprised. The coffee tastes great and the fact that you just pop in a pod and press a button means that it's really handy to enjoy high quality coffee in mere seconds.
I will say that as this machine is a hefty price I would only recommend it to people who really likes coffee and would like to try a variety of different types regularly. The machine comes with a small selection of different pods to try and the rest are sold separately. I would say have a look on the Nespresso website for the range and if you really like the sound of them then by all means get it. You can get the pods directly from Nespresso, they're actually not that expensive, only a few pounds for a box of ten, or you can go to a Nespresso shop. They aren't common and my nearest one is in the Trafford Center. Where the staff can go through all the different types with you before you can commit to a machine.
The machine itself is nice and compact and sits nicely in the corner of my kitchen. The milk compartment it also compact and lives in my fridge without taking up much room. The machine is also very easy to clean as all I do is give it a wipe down with a cloth every week and it's fine. The used pods drop into a concealed compartment which you can take out without any fuss.
If I was being critical I will say the when you first get it out of the box you have to set the levels-how much you want in a mug, which can be a bit confusing as it dispenses the milk first, which led to a few very milky coffees before I got it right. Saying that once you've done it, it's done and you don't have to do it again.
Overall I would really recommend this machine to coffee lovers and those who want to regularly drink different types of coffee. If you're after just a quick brew in the morning then perhaps you should go for a cheeper model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good Nespresso machine!, 26 Jun. 2013
Temperature is enough (some people expect it to be hotter but if I use cold milk from the fridge it transforms it into a nice hot cappucino)!
Product has no failures and the only thing I don't like is the noise that sometimes it does but hey lets not be perfectionist!
Very easy to work with and if it was now, I'd buy it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nespresso latissima, 7 Nov. 2011
P. K. Woodworth "pkw1947" (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
We bought this machine after seeing a similar one in use at a relatives house in Belgium.

We were impressed by how easy it was to make cappucino and latte coffees as well as espresso. No frothing the milk separately, the machine does it all for you and you can programme it to deliver as much or as little froth as you like.

This model was a new updated version and we have not been disappointed. My wife who hardly ever drinks coffee is now
a convert. The machine really is easy to use, fill the reservoir with water, attach the milk reservoir if you are having a cappucino or latte, place cup or glass under the spout, switch on, insert pod, and when the lights stop flashing press the necessary button.

There is a an excellent choice of coffee pods from mild to strong and decaffeinated and all are reasonably priced.

The only problem we did have when the machine was delivered was that it had a continental plug attached so we had to buy an adapter (£3.50 from Maplins).

4.0 out of 5 stars Nespresso Latissima Plus Coffee Maker is a winner., 30 Mar. 2014
G. H. Wilson - See all my reviews
The machine is stylish. Colour is good. Easy to use. Instruction manual includes everything you would wish to know. Not always easy to find a specific item. Staff are brilliant at answering questions. Different coffees work best with different settings. For a long drink two capsules may be needed. Not expensive compared to café prices but expensive compared to 'instant' but coffee much better. A very good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars You like coffee?, 23 Aug. 2014
If you like coffee, this is for you. Easy and quick to use, looks good, and at a great price. At the press of a button, four different types available...latte, espresso etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a bit plastic, 22 Sept. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Assuming that you're already convinced by the whole nespresso idea, this isn't a bad coffee machine. If you're not sure what nespresso is, it's basically a proprietary coffee making 'system' marketed by Nestle. It's very clean and simple to use, but you're tied into Nestlé's range of coffee which is very expensive and limited in choice. If you're undecided, I'd reccomend a bean to cup machine over this one. They are more expensive but will save you money in the long run as you can buy coffee by the bean, with infinitely more choice. Delonghi does this one De'Longhi Magnifica ESAM4200 15-Bar Bean To Cup Espresso/Cappuccino Maker, Silver

However, one advantage that this machine does have over more traditional ones is it takes the work out of making frothy coffees, like cappucino or macchiato. Press one button and it will froth the milk, pour it into the cup, top up with espresso and it's done. A neat dial control lets you choose the amount of froth, and it's really quite clever. If you can't be doing with the faff of more traditional machines you'll love this. That said, you still have a degree of faff in keeping it clean. There is a button to automatically clean the milk section but really it needs a rinse under the tap after each use. You can detach the milk tank to store in the fridge, and it's easy to attach and detach.

It's a very small and tidy little machine, bright red, and full of hidden little compartments for used coffee pods or adjusting the height of the cups you'll use and so on. One small niggle is that the water tank is right at the back of the machine and is a bit difficult to get to if you have it under a wall cupboard. It's also a bit hard to see if you've locked it into place properly. It does hold a deceptively large amount of water though, and is transparent so easy to check water level. Build is a bit flimsy, it feels VERY plasticky and a bit cheap. There is no stylish italian chrome here and it's actually a little ugly.

The coffee is tasty, but a little cool. If you like your coffee really hot then you'll be frustrated by this as it just won't get that hot. It is very tasty though, with a quality crema on espressos although a little watery for my taste. Again, a limitation of nespresso is you can't adjust the grind or amount of coffee goes into your cup, although for some that is an advantage as it's one less choice to worry about. Still, you can find yourself drinking far too much - especially as you don't need to wait for it to cool down!

The machine comes with 12 nespresso pods to get started and an impressive looking brochure of what other coffees are available, or at least I assume that is what it is as my copy was printed entirely in German. It's hard to know what blend is what, as they are all under nestlé's own brand names - again, you'll be out of luck if you love a Lavazza Rosso or a Monsoon Malabar..

I'm not entirely convinced by the whole nespresso idea, but if you want a incredible easy to use machine which will produce consistent results then you could do a lot worse than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it :), 9 May 2014
Love this machine. As I am lactose intolerant this is the perfect machine for me as I can add my own goats milk/soya milk to it. You get a choice of how much froth you want and what type of coffee you want. Also in the box is a nice selection of the different coffees to try. Dont know what I ever did without this machine. Love it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars DeLonghi ,my experiences., 15 Dec. 2012
Just a few quick words.
I bought this machine for my wife,we had no idea about the 3 main types of machines,
i went for this one due to reviews,colour and price.
This machine is quite plasticy although still well made.
It makes awesome coffee,however i find that the frothy milk can take over the cup,
i usually chop between two of the settings to make one cup.I have yet to make one which looks like the picture !!
The glasses i bought to go with it do not fit underneath,anything over 140mm will need to be tilted.
Great fun is to be had experimenting with the different coffees,intensity 9 will add to your insomnia!

5.0 out of 5 stars SO Fast and Easy and Great Coffee, 7 Feb. 2013
J. Poole "jhlondonuk" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This machine is just incredibly easy and fast and makes delicious coffee and frothed milk. The milk is hot enough, though there is no temperature adjustment on it so I know some people find it not quite hot enough. For me it is fine if I drink it right away.

Yes, the water reservoir is a bit small, but we only make 3-4 cups per day so it's not a big deal to refill it. If you were using it for 6 cups per day AND using it to steam milk, I think it might get annoying to have to refill the water so much.

It looks great in the deep red colour and all the removable parts are dishwasher safe which is a HUGE plus for me!

Delonghi EN520.R Nespresso Lattissima Plus Coffee Maker - Red