5.0 out of 5 stars Seagate 500Gb SATA drive
This drive was fitted as a data store to a newly constructed machine running under Windows 7. Truly plug-and-play, no problem with fitting or installing.
Published on 19 April 2012 by Mr. S. G. Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars I would like to write a product review but...
...the disk sold by Bentham Ltd was defective! This may be a one-off or a bad batch, so for the benefit of those who may be suffering read/write errors, poor data transfer rates and bad sectors, I suggest you download and run the rather useful SeaTools from Seagate's warranty section.

A word of warning to those unfortunate enough to have a disc generating an...
Published on 26 Nov. 2011 by studiobod

1.0 out of 5 stars I would like to write a product review but..., 26 Nov. 2011
studiobod (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seagate ST500DM002 3.5 inch 500GB Hard Drive (Serial-ATA, 6Gb/s, 16Mb, 7200RPM) (Personal Computers)

A word of warning to those unfortunate enough to have a disc generating an error code... Bentham Ltd require you to go through Seagate's RMA procedure rather than supply you with a replacement. This means returning it at your own expense and waiting 7 - 10 days... but first you'll need to read a 20 page packaging PDF (and no, bubble wrap will not suffice - so keep the original packaging!).

3.0 out of 5 stars Horrifed by the way Amazon packed this hard disk, 13 Sept. 2012
Mr. N. Edwards "NiallEd" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I ordered 2 of these hard disks and was dismayed to see that Amazon had simply put them into one of their cardboard envelopes and sent them via UPS.

The first thing I did was download SeaTools from the Seagate web site to test them both.

Hard disks should ALWAYS be packed into some sort of shock absorbing packaging and I am astonished at Amazon as they haven't done this with other hard disks I have bought from them.

Fortunately, they both appear to be OK and as such represent very good value for money. The only trouble is that I imagine that Amazon will get a much higher 'Dead on arrival' rate because of the poor packaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seagate 500Gb SATA drive, 19 April 2012
Mr. S. G. Smith "Sidney Smith" (Hampshire, Entgland) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars hard disk, 2 May 2012
This seagate disk is quite and as usual with seagate disks does the job as you would expect.
i build pc's for friends and family and would recommend this disk and seagates other disks

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard Drive, 17 April 2012
Item was great but was a little disappointed with the packaging which I thought was a little inadequite for sending a hard drive through the postal service and have it bounce on the tiles in my front hall. If there is a problem I shall be complaining greatly. The product its self is very good I have only used within the last few days.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay for a Hard Drive but has (for me) Severe vibration Problems!, 7 May 2013
This Seagate HDD is alright speed wise, and Windows 7 boots up in 35-40 seconds but I can't put it in my HDD cage without it shaking my house down, IT HAS HORRENDOUS VIBRATION ISSUES and for me to prevent this I used the elastic strap from a pair of old boxers, tied it around my DVD/Blu Ray Cage and as unsecure as it is up there it took down the awful noise and now my pc is pretty much silent. Would buy another HDD the noise/vibration with my hard drive was awful and the speed does not take away the fact I have a hard drive on an elastic strap from my boxers. 3/5

EDIT Aug 2014: Since upgraded to an SSD, such an improvement!

1.0 out of 5 stars Am I glad returns are simple., 7 Sept. 2014
Despite having read the reviews for this item and noting the negative points I went ahead and bought one of these drives. After all they are cheap. Other suppliers of drives wrap the drive in an hermetically sealed antistatic bag. Then put and an inch of foam or plastic molded shell and pack the whole thing in a box. This give a drive a good chance of surviving the delivery service. My drive arrive quite quickly and fortunately for me I was at home when the Royal Mail postman was pushing it through my letter box!. The driver had been packaged as though it was a paperback book. A single fold of cardboard around the drive. It was in an antistatic bag but was not sealed. in fact it looked as though the labels had been removed and reapplied.

Careful examination of the drive itself showed minor marks around the mounting holes. After installing the drive into a PC I downloaded the Seatools utility and ran the drive through it. No problems. Formatting, installing in system and copy an image to the drive with no problems. It also ran quietly with no particular unusual noises. At this point I was relieved and I thought the poor packaging was just an anomaly.

This drive was now being used to boot a system and the first few startups were problem free. But things rapidly went downhill.
The first signs were of random unloads ie the drive just dropped out. Then the system refused to start straightaway and needed three or four power cycles to run at all. Eventually the drive was not even detected by the BIOS. Also at some point the drive began to exhibit the well known 'ticking' symptom of repeated head load attempts by the drive.

Time to RMA the beast. A cheap drive yes, but looks to me like the end of a run clearance and in my case a drive already returned from another unhappy buyer.

I have now bought a similar drive, same spec. same price but different make through Novatech. Who I have been happily trading with since long before the internet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would Recommend., 12 Oct. 2013
It’s a hard drive !

Quiet ? I would worry if it wasn’t but noise is subjective so suffice it to say I don’t notice it in use.

Speed ? Difficult to quantify, I run an older machine (Pentium4) and multiboot.
XP is my prefered OS and has no problem either running on the drive or accessing it as a secondary drive, I have found the same for to be the case for Vista and 7 (all 32 bit)
access to the the disc fast enough for my purposes, Data, occasional music and occasional video. (I'm not a gamer)

Reliability? Who knows, I prefer Seagate because of personal experience, having had various Seagate Drives over the years from a 40M byte 5 ¼ MFM drive to the more modern and larger drives and only ever had trouble with one.
Where as I have had 3 drives from another manufacture fail and know of 5 others from the same manufacturer to have also failed. Almost all just outside warranty.

Size. 500G is not large by today’s standard but it is sufficient for my “current” data and archive and small enough to allow full and multiple back up to various media, external HDD, DVD, Online.

Overall I would have no hesitation recommending it and will look to Seagate as first choice for any future upgrades.

1.0 out of 5 stars Develops Bad Sectors Easily, 27 April 2012
Ashik Iqubal (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this Hard Drive in Jan 2012 for my new AMD desktop which I had assembled. By the end of April 2012, it developed 16 bad sectors already!!! And that too this hard drive was not put to much use. It appears that this hard drive is very unreliable. I am returning this to Amazon for refund.

3.0 out of 5 stars Product OK Packaging was very Poor, 28 April 2013
The product works fine but this is no thanks to the appalling way it was packed. A hard drive is a sensitive piece of equipment and as such I would expect it to be carefully packed. It wasn't. It was loose in a box that was 10 times too big for it, which was then in an even larger box with a sparce amount of scrunched up paper. In short my view is: The product - five stars, Packing and delivery 0 stars.