5.0 out of 5 stars It makes me dream...
Published on 24 July 2011 by Fons Jena

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as some others
Not as easy a read as many of the others, some of the story whilst highly imaginary has left me wondering if it was worth carrying on reading, indeed I did mainly out of curiosity, got lost quite a few times, I appear to have missed the point of this book sadly.
Published 13 months ago by Riles

5.0 out of 5 stars It makes me dream..., 24 July 2011
Fons Jena "1302" (Flanders,Western-Europe) - See all my reviews
I am a Halo fan so I had to get this book. I waited until the softcover version came out and started reading it. I was a bit curious about the story because it is far away from the Halo universe we know of. But that curiousity was answered with great satisfaction. The story is awesome and it reads really well, great writing. It is still Halo and many things are related to the terminals in Halo 3. It is a must for everybody that likes the Halo universe and is curious about the history of it. Even if you are new to 'Halo' you can read this because the red line through the Halo universe is pretty simple in fact (and this book is in the beginning). You go back to the far past and meet the Forerunners. The Forerunners are an awesome civilizition/species, I wish our world was a bit more Forerunner-ish lol. The scale of their world is behind words and their role in the universe is the most noble cause a species can have. Look I'm starting to dream again! Looking forward to the next two parts because that universe is so huge and well designed that I still need to discover a lot. The book has not the same dimension than the others (Ghosts of Onyx, ...) but hey that is not a problem. And like I am used to, Amazon delivered it fast and in good state.

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating for Halo fans, 2 Oct 2011
This is easily the best book I have read this year. I read this book in 2 days which is a rarity for me these days as distractions at home usually make books take much longer. I simply could not put this book down.

I have read a few other Halo books but found them a little boring and it seems they concentrate too much on the mechanics of battle rather than a good story line.

Cryptum is pure story from start to finish and satisfies my desire for information regarding the Forerunners. It also offers a glimpse into human history and hints at the origins of the Flood. This book is a perfect tease for the next two books as it gives just anough information to satisfy yet there must be so much more to come. I really cannot wait for the next installment and won't be waiting for the paperback next time like I did for this.

I recomend this book to anyone who has enjoyed the Halo storyline be it in game or book format.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Star to a New Beginning, 29 Feb 2012
Halo Cryptum is an Excellent Read for any Halo Fan, Starting out a new Saga in the Halo Universe, The Forerunner Saga, this book contains an excellent and intricate story as well as Must have knowledge for the Halo Die hard fans and Halo Beginners alike, I As a halo fan for going on Ten years Highly recommend this book to any and all halo/science fiction fans, this is one not to be missed!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as some others, 21 Mar 2013
This review is from: Halo: Cryptum (Forerunner 1) (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good edition to Halo lore., 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: Halo: Cryptum (Forerunner 1) (Kindle Edition)
Bought this book after reading every other halo book available, its a nice change as its still sent in the halo universe but at a different time but with very strong parallels with the current Halo universe. Great expansion to the Halo lore bring on the rest of the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Adventure Story Set In The Halo Universe, 20 Sep 2011
G. E. Wyatt "SleepyGlenn" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Knowing Greg Bear is a hard Sci-Fi author, I wasn't sure what to expect coming into this series as a fan of the Halo video game. What I found was a deep, yet still easy to read, adventure story that totally flips what you know about Halo on it's head. A must read for any fan of the Halo fiction. Bear (oh look, a pun) in mind that this is the first part of a trilogy and you will have to wait a while to find out what happens next. Overall, an excellent start; will be picking up the next one as soon as possible!

5.0 out of 5 stars halo cryptum, 23 Mar 2011
very enjoyable. many mysteries answered, and even more have come to surface. Im sure readers will remain agitated until the second book in the forrunner saga is released.
I highly recommend this book to any fans of the epic scale sci-fi genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars bought for son, 10 Mar 2011
My son adores Halo 'everything'. He's always been a great reader and really enjoyed this book - so much that he read it cover to cover in 2 days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic Halo, 7 Mar 2011
Daniel Almeida "Always learning" (Portugal, Lisboa) - See all my reviews
I've been a Halo fan since the first game came out, the first thing I said to myself when the Master Chief landed on the Halo World was "Larry Niven, I hope you are getting royalties on this".
The Halo universe has grown a lot since that first game, with the tie in novels, Halo 2 and 3 games. The storyline has increased and expanded the little we can grasp from the games. Halo 3 added a lot of info about the Forerunners, the beeings that built the Halos, but the information was scarse and fragmented and left you wishing for more crumbs.
Well, this book is not about crumbs, consider it a full loaf (in a good sense).
Cutting away from everything about the current Halo Universe, it's set back thousand of years in the past and tells the story of the misterious forerunners. It links to the crumbs we get on Halo 3 and it explains the behaviour of Guilty Spark on the original Halo game when meeting the Master Chief for the first time.
This all said, this is a must have for any Halo fan.
If you are new to the universe of Halo and have never heard of or played any of the games it still stands solidly as a good Sci-Fi book. You are not required to understand or know the Halo universe, knowing it will allow you to correlate some things, but as I already said, it's not necessary. It stands on its own as a great story about the fall and rise of star faring species.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cryptum, 23 Jan 2011
This is an absolute must for all Halo fans, it weaves a lot of information regarding forerunners, halo and humans (some of which was quite surprising) into excellent story line that is very compelling.

Having now completed reading the book I consider it one of the best written and entertaining of the series so far. I am looking forward to the next two parts of the trilogy, just hope we are not made to wait too long.

ARRAY(0xaacccdec)

Halo: Cryptum (Forerunner 1)
3.59