Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 16 September 2011
I bought this on a whim because it was cheap. I have been very impressed and have not regretted my purchase. The author explains all the basic techniques and includes information about basic equipment and all the spices needed.
I like this book mostly because it uses (almost exclusively) supermarket bought ready ground dry spices. So you don't have to spend hours and a small fortune preparing spice mixes and pastes.
So far, I have only made one curry, the chicken pasanda. It was fantastic. I love medium spiced curries and usually never bother with mild curries, but I loved this and will certainly make it again soon. Both my partner and fussy toddler loved it too. It was almost exactly like a restaurant/ takeaway version, the only difference is that I used sunflower oil ( recommended by the author for health reasons) instead of the traditional ghee. If I had used ghee, it would have been an exact replica. I will be sticking to sunflower oil as I don't want myself or my family eating ghee.
Anyway, I will update my review when we try more recipes. Buy this whilst it's cheap. I hope the author brings out a paper format that I can give to friends and family who do not use kindle.
on 13 May 2012
I have been trying to cook a proper curry for years,
I failed every time and had just about resigned myself to never achieving this goal.

But then i stumbled across this book and having read the reviews decided to have a go,
I am so glad that i did. Not only do the curries taste fantastic, look authentic they are very easy to cook.
on 31 August 2011
I bought this book on a whim, and at 89p for the Kindle version didn't really worry about it not working out. Have tried a couple of the recipes so far and have been very impressed with the results. Great flavours and easy to follow prep and cooking methods meant that the Chicken Korma and the Rogan Jhosh were very well received. I now plan to try something a little more ambitious and perhaps also make some starters.

So, I recommend that you download this book and get started on your curry-cooking!
on 28 March 2012
Been trying to perfect that 'authentic restaurant' curry for years and this book did the trick! So simple and yet my curries are now better than I could ever have hoped.

Only problem is I now have all my family and friends popping round to sample my now famous curry! (I'm trying to keep this little gem to myself though - and take all the credit!)

One small tip for anyone buying this - I found the oven cooking method dried things up too much - the pan method (also an option in the book) is far better.
on 2 January 2012
The author attempts to shortcut the lengthy process of British Indian Restaurant curry which is often found in many other books of its kind.

I made the Tikka Masala and followed it to the letter. The main problem with this book is lack of any base curry sauce which is essential in BIR curry. Instead most use a puree of onion. I was skeptical but carried on with an open mind. Unfortunately the curry was extremely dry as you would expect without any sauce and just spices. As advised by the book I added some extra warm water but this will just keep evaporating because of the high heat, so you will be fighting a losing battle.

Overall the curry lacked depth of flavour and texture with an overwhelming ketchup flavour as this is an ingredient in many of the curries.

My advice would be to try the curries in The Takeaway Secret by Kenny McGovern which are not as lengthy as some recipes but still taste amazing.
on 29 January 2012
First, I am a curry maker of long standing and usually I make them from scratch - roast the whole spices, grind them, put it all together.
I do many that are just my own thrown-together recipes.

I take issue with Davey - if you end up with something dry, you haven't followed the recipe - nothing I have done from this book is dry and if it were, use a little common sense and add some liquid - preferably some of the tomato juice.

Overall I have been very impressed, particularly with texture (though I frequently use the blender to puree the onion/garlic/fresh ginger mix after softening).

I normally use fresh chilies, but following the recipes, I used powdered. The powder I use is exceptionally hot, so I cut it by 1/3. Next time I will use even Less!

Apart from inventing my own I have used Pat Chapman and also McGovern's book and I don't find the base curry sauce to be necessary. The puree method is perfectly satisfactory.
But then again, I don't subscribe to the view that "restaurant style" is the be-all of curry cooking. Authentic is surely better (Madhur, Camellia Panjabi etc).

But this book produces very acceptable results.
I will be doing more of them
on 30 April 2012
I'm a curry lover, but until recently hadn't tried making one from scratch due to the complicated recipes I'd seen in other books.

This book is very readable, the recipes are so easy to follow, and the end-results are excellent. I decided to make the Rogan Josh (chicken) and a chick pea Bhoona. Both curries turned out very well. My kids especially liked the Bhoona and compared it favourably to our (excellent) local takeaway, so I was delighted!

Both curries were so easy to make, that I am going to be more adventurous next time and try some starters as well.

Can't recommend the book highly enough, and the price is unbeatable.
on 8 May 2012
Having just become the proud owner of a Kindle,I was looking for a curry book.This has been a fantastic buy!I never before thought of making 2 seperate curries for dinner...but having read the intro,I had to agree with Neil Faulkner...every time hubby and I go out to eat,we both order different meals.It gives us the chance to try 2 dishes.So,I made Kashmir for hubby and Rhogan Josh for myself.I loved the simple methods and the results were excellent.Restaurant quality? No....better than that!
on 22 June 2012
It works - yippee!
As curry lovers I have for the past 10 years tried so many books to create the taste of past meals eaten in the UK and Middle East but to no avail.
Now living in the curry desert aka south west France (what is a takeaway - pizza?) you are a life saver.
Merci beaucoup!
on 12 March 2015
I purchased this some months ago and although I have read some of the recipes, I had real doubts about the method of cooking. I wasn't too sure about the puree Neil suggested and I also wasn't sure about the mix of spices he suggested for the respective dishes. I was absolutely convinced that the longer it took to prepare Asian dishes, the better they tasted! NO! NOT TRUE! Well, certainly not in Mr Faulkner's book anyway! I tried the Madras curry and prepared everything as Neil suggested: the puree, the spices etc. etc. I cooked the dish to the letter of instruction and was blown away by the fabulous, authentic flavours using only a few spices as suggested by the author.
Now, I also reviewed a book called "The Curry Secret" which was absolutely brilliant. But now I'm torn between these two recipe books. For quickness and easiness I can't fault Neil Faulkner. I won't compare the two as they are two very different approaches, but I'll just say I will definitely NEVER have to buy another Indian cookbook again!
Well, I'm off to make myself a nice Rogan Josh for lunch............!!