5.0 out of 5 stars Nifty little gadget
I bought this nifty little gadget to protect my shiny new 250cc sportbike.
The size is very handy and clips on to my front brake disc no problem .
Published on 25 Feb. 2013 by El Massri

Published 3 months ago by slated

5.0 out of 5 stars Nifty little gadget, 25 Feb. 2013
El Massri "elmas" (Alexandria , Egypt) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JDC MOTORCYCLE Motorbike Disc Lock ALARM - Yellow
I bought this nifty little gadget to protect my shiny new 250cc sportbike.
The size is very handy and clips on to my front brake disc no problem .
Only this morning I had forgotten it was on and just as I mounted the bike to turn on the ignition , the movement set off the alarm and prevented my from driving off with it on .......................
I advise to use the reminder cable with it at all times just for added security ... I would strongly advise against using it without the reminder cable as its small size my let one forget its in place .
Good quality workmanship and design .

5.0 out of 5 stars Still works as new after 2+ years..., 6 Aug. 2012
Prime Cod (Sheephaven, Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JDC MOTORCYCLE Motorbike Disc Lock ALARM - Yellow
UPDATED 1ST FEBRUARY 2015: So two and a half years have passed and the lock is still going strong. Works perfectly like new. The only slight problem is the colour (in yellow) has started to fade, but that would be easily avoided I suppose by spraying it regularly with WD40. I try to maintain it as much as possible by spraying lube (I use WHITE LITHIUM GREASE-slightly more expensive but better than WD40 for this job) in the lock part every 6 months but ideally you would do it every 3 months. So I maintain it half as good as I should and it still works very well. The original batteries are still in it and after 2.5 years still going strong. I calculate with the two spare sets you get with it, the batteries will last around 10-15 years. So safe to say you never need to worry about buying spares. If the internal electronics will last that long..only time will tell (you can still use it as a lock if they fail though). I use this alarm-lock around London in solo motorbike bays leaving it hours at a time and I'm always confident no one will touch my scooter and so far no one has.

[end of update]

------------------
ORIGINAL REVIEW:
Unlike other reviewers, I have no problem with the loudness. It's 110 decibels which is on the limit of how much your ears can take. Which is loud enough in my opinion because who wants to get ear damage from a mistakenly set off alarm when you go to deactivate it..!!!?? I don't... No the problem I have is that torrential rain sets the alarm off. Granted, it was raining very heavily, but the lock was covered and there was zero wind. So I have no idea why it would set it off...it happened more than once on separate occasions of torrential rain (so it was not a one off) and I have no doubt this will happen all the time. (UPDATE-PLEASE READ UPDATE BELOW) So now I have a dilemma of how to avoid this since it will wake a lot of people up if it rains like that during the night. What gets me is I can quite roughly move the bike before the alarm even hints at going off yet rain, which is not even hitting the lock directly, can set it off. A design flaw somewhere there. Pity...otherwise feels quite solid.

edit: after having been tested further, I have found no other false alarms, even with very heavy/torrential rain so I decided to update my review. I am beginning to think that maybe the fact it went off when it rained heavily was due to the positioning of the bike cover hitting the disk lock. So I have added another star.

UPDATE-PLEASE READ: After testing this lock out extensively, I can confirm that the false alarm was caused by a badly placed bike-cover NOT because the alarm is too sensitive. Further torrential rain did NOT cause false alarms. So I give this product 5 star and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. It's been perfect and good value for money, nicely built too. Upgraded it to a well deserved 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars does what it says on the tin, 3 Oct. 2011
This review is from: JDC MOTORCYCLE Motorbike Disc Lock ALARM - Yellow
what can i say about this other than does what its supposed to, easy to use and loud alarm, not too many false alarms either, very good product for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the asking price, 29 May 2013
Mr. W. A. Johnson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JDC MOTORCYCLE Motorbike Disc Lock ALARM - Yellow
After a recent attempted theft of my bike, I needed to purchase a new disc lock. My previous old model Xena had given me piece of mind for several years but the would-be thief had managed to chisel off the alarm module before it had actually gone off. The sturdiness of the disc lock itself proved too much however, so they gave up before managing to move the bike away. (Please note newer Xena models have a more enclosed alarm system, so an attack on the alarm itself wouldn't be as simple)

Personally my bike is worth very little so I wanted to keep costs down for the replacement lock and this lock seemed to fit the bill. A very similar product to the Xena range but at about 1/3 the cost - but I wasn't expecting much

The JDC lock itself has a good to weight to it and feels nice and sturdy. The yellow colour looks nice and hazardous, so should catch your eye to remind you to take it off before setting off, and should also stand out to thieves. Now for the most important part - the alarm. Once you click the lock into place, it sets off a tone to let you know it's armed. After 15 seconds, any knock to it and it will tone a few times to warn you - loud enough to hear over most outside noises. Any disturbance after that and all hell breaks loose!!! Up close, this thing is deafening and its high-pitch warbling tone is really uncomfortable on the ear - after the first time I tried it, my ears were left ringing for a good few minutes. With it being as loud as it is, it must sap the batteries fairly quickly so it's a bonus that 2 extra sets are supplied with the lock (along with the allen key required for fitting)

Now obviously this item alone won't stop a determined bike thief. The only things that might are ground anchors, expensive toughened chains and complicated garage alarms. And there are obviously higher quality disc-lock alarms out there, but a skilled bike thief will have the wheel off the bike quicker than they can be caught, if all you are using is a disc-lock. So for what it is, this lock is ideal - the sensitivity is there, and the alarm is plenty loud enough to put off amateur/opportunist thieves and raise the attention of people nearby. It's also small enough to stuff in your jacket pocket.

For £25 this is a cracking piece of kit - buy one now. Or buy two, put one either side of your caliper to lock the wheel in place and as back-up. (I can only imagine how terrifying two of these would sound next to your ear)

4.0 out of 5 stars bike alarm, 4 May 2012
Mr. Richard Humphreys (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JDC MOTORCYCLE Motorbike Disc Lock ALARM - Yellow
arrived quickly. really easy to use not the loudest alarm ever but enough to deter opportunist thief. would recomend using alongside other device such as a good chain and lock

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect additional security via an alarmed disc lock, 3 Feb. 2015
This review is from: JDC MOTORCYCLE Motorbike Disc Lock ALARM - Yellow
I bought this item to provide some extra security to my GS when touring abroad. It is very easy to operate with clear instructions and a piercing siren at 110dB - louder would be better but I would think it would be enough to deter most thieves. It triggers within 20 secs of it first being disturbed through vibration. My only minor criticism would be that the instructions do not describe how to change the batteries. A spare set (of 6 watch style batteries and allen key) are however included in the package but it really is quite obvious how to access the innards through the removal of 4 small bolts with the allen key. The battery pack is then found inside a white lidded plastic box. It is a great product and excellent value for money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for what it is intended, not so good for adapting to other applications., 27 Jan. 2015
This review is from: JDC MOTORCYCLE Motorbike Disc Lock ALARM - Yellow
Certainly a solid item, I brought this to fit to the inside of my vans rear door, as it has been broken into a few times..I thought this would act as a deterrent, but it is not loud enough to attract attention or deter a calm thief in this application. It fits well to my bike though, and offers reasonable protection against opportunists. It may even catch the unawares that feel like tampering with it; the alarm is not advertised on the device....get the reminder cable to go with it if you are using it on a bike disc!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Alarmed Disk Lock, 17 April 2012
Andrew Parr "Andy Parr" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JDC MOTORCYCLE Motorbike Disc Lock ALARM - Yellow
The JDC Motorbike Disk Lock Alarm is a great product that offers great security features for a motorcycle. You set the alarm by clicking the key barrel in and a beep informs you that the alarm has been set. After 15 seconds the alarm is activated, if the alarm senses shock or movement it will beep as a warning, if further movements are sensed within 5 seconds then the alarm will sound until the movement stops. After 35 seconds with no further movements the alarm will stop and automatically re-arm itself. It can also be quickly disarmed by undoing the lock with one of the two keys provided. The lock comes with two sets of spare batteries as well as the already installed batteries and an allen key to unlock the battery compartment. The lock can be used without the alarm feature by just taking the batteries out. The decibel level of the alarm is 110DB. It is weather and waterproof and suitable for disk brakes with a thickness of up to 7mm. All in all an amazing product and sure to deter thieves!

5.0 out of 5 stars Premier League Device With A League Two Price Tag!, 31 Jan. 2015
This review is from: JDC MOTORCYCLE Motorbike Disc Lock ALARM - Yellow
Great lock! This is my second one as lost the first one. It's small, very loud and extremely easy to activate. I've had no issues with the alarm self activating even in gale force weather and pounding rain. At first I was sceptical as it was so cheap but thought I would chance it and buy a more expensive branded lock later down the line. How wrong could I have been, I needn't bother with any other as this one ticks all the boxes. Premier league device with a league two price tag!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, great service, 17 Dec. 2014
Arrived very quickly.
The disc lock itself is good quality and does exactly what it says on the tin (couldn't find the bit where it references your ears bleeding if you test it in the house).
Fits perfectly. After having my GSXR stolen I am a bit paranoid and this disc alarm is far louder than the alarm fitted to that bike and sensitive enough that a small knock to your handle bars will set it off.
I'm going to sleep better now my beloved ZX7R has this lock on it.