Format: DVDChange

on 14 October 2009
This is an excellent box set, bringing the reality of war to the tv screen, shows what our armed forces has to go through on a daily basis in afghanistan. Ross Kemp is brilliant the right man for the job,he should be given an oscar for braving the elements of close quarters fighting. This box set is well worth getting,i would reccommend it to anyone who likes this sort of thing. It is unmissable.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 2 June 2009
For me this series is a true reflection of the conditions that the British troops have endured fighting in Afghanistan. At times you get a flavour (and it can only ever be a very small idea of what it is to be involved in a fire fight) of how it feels to be under fire and even pinned down. On several occassions Ross Kemp and his cameraman appear to be quite close to the action with bullets fizzing close to their bodies. Ross Kemp is clearly very proud of the troops and the effort they put in as well as how professionally they conduct themselves. So am I. It is also clear that Ross wanted this documentary to be truly reflective of what conditions are like for those away in Afghanistan. This comes through well. This isn't an attempt to add glamour to what is happening out there. It is showing us just what it is that those troops are doing. It shows how committed the enemy is and how well organised they are. The troops clearly respect their enemy and rightly so. And it shows how some won't come back. It is a huge sacrafice and one that we should all be grateful for. The bravery of our troops is what comes through most of all. I would recommend anyone to watch this to gain an appreciation for what our armed forces are doing in Afghanistan. It is a difficult thing to portray without people suggesting that Ross Kemp is trying to make the war glamourous. Watch this and you will see that is not the intention. It is hard to watch sometimes as it is heart breaking to watch comrades shed tears for friends they have lost. Watching the families is harder still. But this DVD will remain as something people can watch for years to come so that they too can see how the sacrifices that have been made were not in vain. Those that have fallen will not be forgotten. Ross Kemp should be thanked for having the stomach to do this. At times it is clear he is worried but he does it anyway. Just like all the troops do - day after day. I thoroughly recommend this DVD boxset. It is a real insight.
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 July 2009
This series is just incredible. The footage is amazingly up close and personal and is probably as close to actual war as most people will want to get. Ross Kemp comes across as incredibly sincere and honest. Unlike many other documentary film makers, Ross Kemp really gets personally involved with the individual soldiers and he seems to care a lot about them.
At a few instances in the series, it is also clear that Kemp tries his best to help the soldiers out when in the field.
In closing, the intense footage could have been achieved be other film crews, but it's the host that really makes this series something special.
on 12 October 2009
I have to say that after watching this DVD my opinion of Ross Kemp was greatly enhanced, what a guy, hats off to him and his film crew, in at the sharp end showing in sometimes harrowing detail life in Afghanistan, Its plain to see Ross's admiration of the troops serving there but it was also evident that he was truly moved by the deaths of soldiers, I doubt any other TV personality could have carried out this kind of reporting, But this DVD is not about Ross Kemp, Its about the lads living and dying out there, if you feel anything for the lads out there then buy this DVD and try and understand what it must be like to be a soldier out there, God bless them all and thanks again Ross for bringing it to us in graphic detail.
on 1 July 2009
After a number of people said I should watch this, I purchased it from Amazon and watched it back to back. Quite simply fantastic, a brilliant insight into what our Forces are currently dealing with in Afghanistan. Everyone should watch an episode to try and understand the pressure and pure danger they face every day they are in the field. My hat off to Ross and his team who take a huge risk in pulling this off.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 December 2012
The friend I bought this boxed set for is an ex-soldier. His main comment was that each of the DVDs reflects the true but awful reality that our forces face day in and day when they are deployed to Afghanistan. Only those with a heart of stone could possibly fail to be moved by the courage and bravery of the soldiers and how they face up to the dangers all around them, the acts of real heroism and tragically the fatalities and the horrendous injuries to our young men and women. Reading or listening or watching news stories do not bring the 'real' thing to life - the DVDs do. Excellent!
on 12 May 2009
We enjoyed this series on the tv.It was screened late in the evenings so my son missed a few episodes so we decided to buy it so he could keep it and watch it all. He enjoys anything to do with the army so found this thrilling, sad at times, and eductional. Hope he does another series.
on 13 June 2010
I am posting this review having only yet watched the first series.

I had put off for quite some time purchasing the set never having seen it on TV. To say that it will leave a lasting impression on me is a understatement. Forget the rights and wrongs of this conflict if you can and feel for the lads and girls who are a long way from home and their loved ones.
I do not know Ross from His acting roll on TV, His bravery and reporting on this regiment at war I have found outstanding. He comes accross as truly careing for these troops.
Parts of the documentary I did find very upsetting so be warned.
A outstanding piece of War reporting and must not be missed.
on 8 September 2013
Brought this as a present for my son, who has now spent hours watching the whole set from start to finish! Ross Kemp gives an extraordinary insight into army life. Product is exactly as described and arrived on time.
on 4 November 2009
Although filmed a few years ago it is still very relevant to what is happenening now. Ross kemp is honest in his opinions and doesnt refrain from showing how hard the life of soldiers at war can be not just for them, but for their families aswell. It gives an insightful view into how the men on the ground really feel about the war and is at the same time entertaining without compromising the reality of what they go through. To anyone who is thinking about buying this, do it and you wont be disappointed.