5.0 out of 5 stars AN UNFORGETTABLE, HEARTWARMING, COMING OF AGE FILM FROM STUDIO GHIBLI!!!!,
Whisper of the heart is one of the most sensitive, heartwarming and beautiful films ever made. Based on a shojo manga by Aoi Hiiragi, Written and produced by Hayao Miyazaki and directed by Yoshifumi Kondo, whisper of the heart is a tale of self discovery and coming of age of a high school girl Shizuku who is not sure what she wants in life. A series of dramatic events...
Published on 5 May 2007 by Mohd Jafar

3.0 out of 5 stars A Mixture of Mistakes
Firstly, I think I should say that the cover of this DVD edition IS quite misleading as to what the story's actually about. Don't make the mistake of buying this under the false pretense that our herione, Shizuku, will be whisked away on a whirlwind adventure, accompanied by an anthropomorphic cat-doll. This is very much a coming of age tale set in the real world, centred...
Published on 21 May 2011 by L. Sefton

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Quietly awesome, 26 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Whisper of the Heart [DVD] (DVD)
This is an unusual film, with an unusual story. Some other reviewers said nothing much seems to happen in it- I suppose this is because this story is truer to life than your average hollywood big bucks movie full of explosions and cheerleaders that just get predictable and insipid after a while. It's altogether a quieter, more subtle, real and original story that has many heart touching tales to tell if only you are open to them. The relationship between Shizuku and her family, the difficulties and worries of teenage years when you search your soul to find out who you are... they all ring so true, but still manage to be funny without being overwhelming or depressing.

I noticed another reviewer said there is too much time showing them going somewhere. I actually find these journey times an interesting and vital part of the film as a whole. For a start, they are not at all boring. The scene where she chases the cat through the Tokyo suburbs is so amusing, and the scene where she's running down the steps is great because it shows how she gets ideas for her story and how ordinary life can easily inspire art. If you are the kind of person who notices details in your everyday life and finds them so poetic and full of meaning then you will probably be captivated by this film. It reminded me a little bit of Amelie- also quirky, the characters are so utterly themselves, and people and life aren't perfect to be sure, but there are all kinds of beauties along the way, and the characters also go on their own personal journeys here.

What I love about it as well is that it perfectly documents the difficulties artists face when creating something- that battle you have with yourself inside. I think this is something that will make sense to all creative people. I can totally understand how she gets so worked up about her writing, and how Seiji reacted when he made his first violin, how he says he isn't good enough... I love how this is so true of artists, always their own harshest critic. I love the scene with the old man and the gemstone... the wonder in the cuckoo clock scene... I loved the fact they actually showed how much work, time, passion and skill goes into making such beautiful artifacts. In a world full of mass production, it is a comfort to me that there are still artists in the world who care so much about what they do - I suspect this film was made by such people as their passion clearly shows. For me this is one of the biggest draws of the film.

My favourite moment of the film is the scene in the violin workshop with the song; it gave me little happy goosebumps! I think the use of the song `Country Roads' was inspired- and it certainly took me by surprise when it starts up at the beginning of the film. But it actually fits really well with the whole journey theme going on.

The way Shizuku and Seiji's relationship develops I thought was really lovely. I can understand how some people might find it a bit rushed. But for me this was not so. Did you ever meet someone who you instantly clicked with, because you were so fundamentally compatible, who understood you so well, that you instantly became friends with? This is just like that and so I don't find it unrealistic. The two characters just match so well. Not just personally as friends...the magic here is that they spur each other on as artists as well. This adds an extra complexity to their already special relationship. And for me the bit at the end (what Seiji shouts!) was so sweet and touching! I can totally believe that could happen.

This is overall a magical, sensitive, sweet film and for those like me who it `clicks' with, it is perfect to watch when you are feeling a bit down or less than sure of yourself as it gives you a little lift and leaves you feeling happy inside. I love it and I wouldn't change anything about it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good quality anime for all ages, 3 Nov. 2009
D. Lucas "guidebook vulture" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whisper of the Heart [DVD] (DVD)
A Japanese anime featuring an American country soundtrack sounds like a strange idea indeed, but Studio Ghibli have pulled it off with one of their most touching animated adventures ever. But unlike Spirited Away and Laputa, the magic and otherworldly scenes are few and far between - Whisper of the Heart is very much an emotional drama, with the heroine contending with real life obstacles such as studying and boyfriends, rather than monsters and wizards.
The song featured throughout the movie is Country Roads (Olivia Newton John's version plays during the beginning credits) and one of the most beautiful scnes in the movie is when the young girl performs her own personal version with the lyrics rewritten to suit her own experience, and the young boy who becomes her love interest backing her with his violin playing, and then his family joins in with their own instruments, and it swells into a beautifully performed folk track.
At the start of this movie, Western audiences may be thinking that it will be an American style teen movie with a gradutaion scene at the end - there are references to the kids' graduation throughout the movie - but it does not even reach the end of the school year (sorry to spoil it) it simply takes place over a few weeks in which this young girl explores her talent for writing songs and stories, and finds that her passion can be a burden as well as a gift. She encounters many characters who have a different impact on the way she feels about her talent, and she finds that she must learn her own way and make her own mistakes before she can follow the right path that will determine her future and career. Whisper of the Heart contains many strong themes that can appeal and inspire viewers of all ages, and is a must for any anime enthusiast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whisper of the Heart., 5 May 2007
TheRedBlueBlur (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Whisper of the Heart [DVD] (DVD)
A great film! Not so much a children's film, but my three boys (all under 10yrs old) all managed to watch it to end and mostly enjoyed it.

It is a story of realisation of love and the awakening of love in a boy and a girl. It is a very subtle and beautiful film with characteristically wonderful animation, but there is only slight reference to the magical world of the cat and only then in imagination. That said it the film doesn't suffer for it.

Girls will love it and can only do boys good to sit through it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to hate, 30 Jan. 2009
Ms. K. Wall "What is smexx?" (London, GB) - See all my reviews
This is a beautiful film about innocent first love. I love this film and everything it stands for. It's just fantastic and I recommend it to everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Concrete roads...", 18 Mar. 2009
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Whisper of the Heart [DVD] (DVD)
My children love the film 'The Cat Returns' and as we steadily work our way through the full Ghibli collection, it was only a matter of time before we reached the film which inspired it...

...This film follows the life of Shizuku; a young teenage girl who immerses herself in the fictional fairy-tale world she escapes to through her books. As with all teenagers, she eventually develops a crush and deals with the angst, embarrassment, and awkwardness that comes with it.

After following a vagabond cat which happens to walk onto the same tram she is on, she finds herself creating a coming-of-age adventure for herself. She meets new people and makes important decisions on how she wants to lead her life. Her love of fairy tales leads her to create a fantasy story about a cat, but she soon finds herself having to deal with real life. Her relationship with best friend Yuku and the enigmatic young man Seiji, along with her family life, form the main basis of the film.

This is visually far more impressive than the spin-off - the cityscapes are incredibly detailed and as beautiful as you expect from Studio Ghibli. This film is very different however, as even though both films deal with a teenage girl in the middle of a key time in her life - The Cat Returns is essentially a light fantasy adventure film, whereas this is a drama which deals more with real-life issues. I reckon a lot of teenage girls would be able to identify with the character of Shizuku and her situation, but even though I'm not in that demographic (being a male and more than twice her age - but only just!) I could still appreciate the film and what it was saying.

Films about teenage love tend to get a bit cheesy and uncreative, but this is a Hayao Miyazaki film! So instead of predictable scenes you'll have seen over and over again in various guises you get quite innocent yet tender moments that are genuinely heart-warming. A scene where two teens lay their vulnerability to one side and open themselves up each other by singing and playing music says far more than a quick fumble and a snog would have done. It would have been so easy for me to have dismissed this film after a few minutes, but Miyazaki's magic prevents this film from slipping into the murky depths of averageness.

In a nutshell: A teenage romance which doesn't feel formulaic or contrived, I enjoyed this film more than I expected. When it started I thought that it might drag and that the scenes of school girls going all giggly at the mention of boys would get annoying - but the characters have enough depth to keep you watching, and by the end of it I was caught up in the romance more than I though I would be. My two young girls will no doubt prefer The Cat Returns, they aren't quite old enough to appreciate or understand the complexities of the characters - but in ten years time, I'm sure they will revisit this film and love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars heart warming and mind expanding, 17 Dec. 2007
Mr. A. W. Powsey "red squirrell" (reading, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whisper of the Heart [DVD] (DVD)
Just a couple of things to add about this wonderful work. The characters seem so real to me. What a lovely family the heroine has. There is no shouting or abuse when the little girl does her own thing and concentrates on her book. The parents are so loving and supporting. The old antique dealer is delightful too and is so kind and welcoming to the heroine. The cat Moon....well he/she is very like mine in character..so independent and inscrutable.
I have come to this genre just recently. I am impatient to see lots more.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest films, of any genre, ever made..., 22 Jun. 2007
John-Paul May (Europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whisper of the Heart [DVD] (DVD)
Perfect like a perfect diamond. Unique, subtle...irreplaceable.

A movie - an artwork - that operates on the subtlest and most delicate levels.

Not really a children's movie -- and indeed more than just a "coming of age" work.

Whipser of the Heart touches immediately the nature of human love and existence ... family love, self love, romantic love: via the most subtle and ... quiet ... happenings.

And the artwork, the backgrounds, are beyond belief....the artists have found something about the gray concrete of west Tokyo that is soul-changingly beautiful; the art is a complete testament to our era.

Every shot - I mean EVERY shot - is an important work of art to be studied like a Caravaggio. Wait till you see the coming rain; the moving train; the changing light; the interiors that are Utterly Real (far more real than in live action filmmaking).

A "really good movie" in the sense that "Pride & Prejudice" is a "really good novel" or Vermeer was "quite good at lighting effects."

The final conviction that: studio Ghibli films are the Shakespearean ouvre of this historical era.

The overall output of Studio Ghibli offers a complete system of thought and humanity that advances consciousness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, Great Release, Sleeve Number Problem!, 2 July 2013
This review is from: Whisper Of The Heart [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This is just to inform everyone who purchased KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE on UK Blu-Ray, that you may have noticed it has the same sleeve spine number as WHISPER OF THE HEART.

The WHISPER sleeve is incorrect! Correctly-printed WHISPER... sleeves should have the number "11" printed on it instead, NOT "5".

Anyone wanting a free, replacement WHISPER OF THE HEART Blu-Ray Sleeve, with the correct number on it, needs to go to Facebook, and send a message to StudioGhibliUK. Include your name and address, and then when new sleeves for WHISPER OF THE HEART get printed, they will be sent out to you, free of charge!

Message correct as of July 2013.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of the Blu-Ray (Also dub vs sub), 29 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Whisper Of The Heart [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
The film itself is my favourite Studio Ghibli film and dare I say; my favourite anime feature movie. I wont go into detail as Mohd Jafar (most helpful reviewer on this film) describes why this film is a subtle masterpiece. It just spoke to me personally and shouldn't be missed by any fan of film to be honest.

Regarding the blu ray edition of this movie and I can safely say this is the superior format to watch the film on, 100%. Colours are more vibrant and the outlines of everything is clearer. So if you haven't got a blu ray player I advise to just get this 'combo edition' as you get both the DVD and the Blu Ray versions of this film.

The dub of this film is quite adequate, and if you are planning to show this to younger audiences it's alright. For me though, I wish they didn't always go straight to American actors though. But in my opinion, and this goes for almost all anime I've watched so far (exceptions - Spirited Away, Castle in The Sky) - the original Japanese dialogue (with English subtitles) is always best. There are two reasons for this, both apply strongly to this film;

1. It's the original actors voicing the original script. This means all the subtle nuances like expressions, mannerisms etc etc fit and make sense. In this film, the Japanese cast fit and give voices to all the characters perfectly.

2. This might just be me; But when watching any subtitled foreign film I cast myself into the film too. Subtitles can't give an EXACT replication of what has been said/being said 100% of the time (Of course it is very accurate and true to the translation/scene) This is fundamentally down to how languages are just different from one another. This is not a bad thing in my opinion, as I read the text, normally slightly ahead of audio; I think about what's just been said, or is currently occurring and use my imagination slightly, putting my own words/emotions in gear for the scene. A bit like a book.

One negative about the overall package is that the 'Special Features' are a bit lackluster. Mainly because there are no interviews with the director, or anyone who had something to do with making the film. Only a short video with the dub actors giving their opinion on voice acting in general :S The storyboards and extra artwork is nice, but a bit niche.

Anyway, got a bit sidetracked there. Buy this film! I felt I needed to rate this 5/5 so I did this review just to do that. It's very sad the director of this film, Yoshifumi Kondo, passed away a few years after this released. Miyasaki was right to put him in charge of it and to have him lined up in 1st place to take reign of the Studio.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic and heart-warming masterpiece., 25 April 2013
This review is from: Whisper Of The Heart [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Yoshifumi Kondo was an animation director for Studio Ghibli, working alongside Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata on the films Kiki's Delivery Service, Only Yesterday and Princess Mononoke, all of which are some of the best the studio ever produced, he was Miyazaki's protégé.
Whisper of the Heart is the first and only film directed by Kondo, unfortunately due to a sudden death said to have been caused by excess work.
It's a real tragedy because I felt like the film has a certain purity, Kondo had some proper talent and we'll never get to see anything like it again.

Whisper of the Heart is best described as a "slice of life" film, there's real people with ordinary lives.
The story follows Shizuku, a hardworking teenage girl and bookworm who lives with her parents and shares a bunkbed with her sister at a cramped and cluttered apartment in modern Tokyo, I found that most interesting because it isn't often you see characters in anime living in such poor conditions.
The first chunk of the film is a glimpse of her everyday life in school and home but it really starts going places when she follows a stray cat on a train to discover a beautiful antiques shop.
Shizuku becomes attracted to a boy named Seiji who eventually leaves for Italy to follow his dreams of violin making, Shizuku is then inspired by Seiji to follow her own dreams of writing.

It is just a fantastic and heart-warming masterpiece.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

Whisper Of The Heart [Blu-ray]
Whisper Of The Heart [Blu-ray] by Ashley Tisdale (Blu-ray - 2012)