Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 24 March 2012
The two characters in Larry Crowne - played by Tom Hanks (Larry) and Julia Roberts (Mercedes) - carry off a beautifully subtle and touching romantic comedy. The setting of Larry's redundancy and Mercedes dissappointing marriage make it rich in human understanding: a film you'll think about a lot afterwards. Perhaps you need to have lived a little to appreciate the joy and hope this film brings, much better to see it now (aged 41) than at 20. Also, you'll love George Takei (the actor who played 'Mr Sulu')... his small part is a real treat :)
on 18 July 2011
I did not intend on watching this film at the cinema at all but as I went through the listing I realised it was the last showing available so it was an "oh well we'll watch that then" situation.

I am SO glad that I did. The easiest way I can describe this film is the surprise film of the year for me. I go to the cinema Every week as I like to keep up with the latest movies and it Isn't often at all that a film so poorly advertised could turn out to be so good.

The surprise actor of this film is the young girl who plays the character Talia. She was a revelation and added such a great tone to the film. Tom Hanks yet again performing in a great role with some other brilliant actors. I can see why some people might not like this film because it Isn't Tom Hanks shouting "Wilson!" or "Life is like a box of chocolates." People do not realise that it doesn't need to be a huge film to be extremely enjoyable and light hearted.

The humour of this film was just ideal, obviously it wasn't Hangover laugh out loud funny, but it was enough to keep me and the girlfriend smiling throughout the film.

I Would recommend this to any big film watchers, and hopefully it will surprise you as much as it did me!
on 29 April 2013
Just an all round feel good movie. I don't know why a lot of people have criticized this movie. There is really great chemistry between Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts. Great all round cast, great movie.
on 17 September 2012
I absolutely loved this film! It's not flashy or 'over the top' if that makes sense, It's charm is that it is a simple, gentle, heartwarming, feel good film that will make you smile and laugh and brighten up a dull and dismal winters afternoon.
Settle down with glass of something warming and enjoy!
on 24 February 2012
Well, as a life long Tom Hanks fan I was horribly let down by a truly dull film.

The premise is pretty good and just up my street, but I'd heard some pretty ropey reviews so I went into it in cautious mood. And even though I didn't really have high hopes for it, this wretched excuse for a movie still failed to get anywhere near my pretty low expectations.

It's just plain bad. Tom Hanks character is completely without personality or humour and simply relies on his Tom Hank's smile to guide him through the role. The moped gang that adopt him are as sorry a group of individuals as you will ever watch. It's near impossible to pigeon hole them as their characters are so poorly constructed they simply do not make sense. And finally Julia Robert's character is just nasty. A deeply unpleasant person that gives off no charm and no redeeming qualities. The lead pair are completely chemistry free to the point where I actually fast-forwarded throuh the final 10 minutes.

Seriously, it's bad, real bad. Bad story, bad script, superficial characters with no depth and just completely charm free.

If you find this in the bargain bin of your local DVD store for a couple of quid, it is still too higher price to pay. Buy a couple of lottery tickets instead, you've more chance of winning that, than liking this.
Tom Hanks stars a Larry Crowne, a happy, friendly, hard worker at a Target-like store who gets laid off because he never went to college. He enrolls in a community college, makes friends with a lot of young students, and is lucky enough to have a speech teacher played by Julia Roberts.

Co-written and directed by Hanks, this movie falls flat. It's good-natured and wholesome enough, but so innocuous and predictable that I fell asleep twice and rewatching it didn't help. From the moment Larry meets his stunningly beautiful teacher (who just happens to want out of a very bad marriage), you know everything is going to turn out happily, but the movie is so slow-moving, it seems to take forever to get to the end. Hanks comes across as an ideal man who likes and is liked by everybody; he plays his character effortlessly and is very good. Roberts plays against type by playing an unpleasant and unhappy woman, but you know she's going to be transformed by Larry's sweet Everyman persona. The young students who `help' Larry adjust to college life are pushy and annoying and I never believed that he would befriend them.

All in all, this lightweight romantic comedy is just okay, because despite Hanks' best efforts, it's actually pretty dull.
on 25 January 2013
Just one of those nice easy going films that leave you with that feel good factor at the end. Excellent acting with some really funny and quirky moments.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 9 March 2015
Despite the believable chemistry between Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts, “Larry Crowne” is unexpectedly flat and unoriginal. I was expecting an easy comedy – and that’s exactly what I got, with a mix of clichés thrown in. That does not mean the film is bad – it is okay, and yet another example of the fact that two heavyweight Hollywood stars do not the movie make. Both Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts could do so much better.
***This review is for the movie only ***

Larry Crowne, written and directed by Tom Hanks, is a film that is never going to win any oscars, or any accolades whatsoever but its ok.

Its not terrible, and its not fantastic but is ok, i think that's the nicest way i can put it.

Tom who obviously needs to be taken seriously as a director needs to stop casting himself in the lead roles and stop with the blatant use of nepotism as who really needs to see his wife in every film that he does ? Not me.

I agree with another reviewer when he says that someone else should of been cast in the lead role. The chemistry between Tom and Julia was non existent and to be honest i found it very hard to believe, but then i also didnt see the connection between Julia and Bryan Cranston who plays her husband either.

All of them very good actors but struggling with what they were given.

Personally i would of maybe cast someone more charismatic in the role as Larry, maybe someone like Hugh Jackman who could of totally pulled it off.

Anyway even with all these negatives, its a sweet film, some great supporting actors, and in my opinion a perfect Sunday afternoon movie..
on 11 August 2013
Really sweet film, I have always admired and loved Tom Hanks work in films, and this film doesnt let down. I wanted to see it in the theater but missed the chance, so got it on dvd instead. Very nice story and suporting cast shine as well.