Format: DVD|Change

on 27 December 2011
Despite having fond memories of Monkey as a child, I wasn't actually sure I was going to enjoy this sort of thing. However, having seen how amazing the artwork was on the trailer, thought I'd give this a go and I'm really glad I did. In fact, this has been my fastest watch so far.

It tells the story of a young woman, very handy with her weaponry and on a mission to save eight lives as atonement for her own past. One day, she finds herself coming to the rescue of a young prince who has become considered cursed and consequently at grave danger from his own father. Entrusted by the boy's mother, Balsa takes on the role of bodyguard, fakes their deaths and goes on the run with the prince.

This story is as much about the life she establishes for them among the common people, with any battle scenes fitting perfectly in tune with the plotline as she battles to save her eighth and final charge. I also like how it wraps things up at the end i.e. unrushed and satisfying.
on 12 May 2012
Im sure you've read some other rieviews so ill keep this short and sweet.

Moribito is visually stunnig and emotionally connective and wonderfully acted, the only complaint i would have had is the pacing, im used to anime series such as Bleach, soul eater, Buso Renkin, Witchblade & Claymore, Moribito is completly different its fast paced to begin with and slows down in the middle then picks right up again towards the climax of the sereis.

the series is 26 episodes long and ill admit that by episode 14 it had all slowed down to a boring pace, however i gave it the benefit of the doubt and by episode 19 or so it was as good as it started out being.

i also have to say the the animation and the fight sences make you forget that this is a cartoon, you get drawn in so easily that you honestly feel like your watching an asian epic like 14 blades or last samurai.

this set is simply perfection to the eyes and ears and although a bit different to what i normally would watch, up there with the best of them, truely an underrated masterpiece
on 30 April 2012
I bought this recently and watched it with my eyes glued to the screen the whole way through. The one thing that surprised me was the story itself, as I was expecting an action packed anime with fight scenes at every corner.

This is not the case with Moribito, as the story focuses mostly on Balsa and the Prince's journey struggling through being constantly on the run. You are led through a somewhat emotional journey rather than a lot of action scenes. However there are still a few visually stunning fight scenes within this piece, which does add even more flare to it.

As stated in other reviews Balsa is on the run with the Prince to atone for the past and the Prince is the last and eighth life to save. Throughout the story you meet numerous very likeable characters with the supernatural/spiritual element rife and key throughout the journey.

It was so in depth in places I felt like I was actually there within the story. 5 Stars is a fitting rating for this anime.
on 27 September 2013
I happened to hear about this anime when I watched a video in which someone reviewed it. on Youtube I had a look at the trailer and the overwhelming urge to purchase the series came over me.
After watching the series I have come to the conclusion that it is one of the best out there. Many people seem to complain that it is too slow or that there is not enough action. For me, the whole point of the anime is about focusing on 'normal' human relationships and the ties that bind people together... not about massive explosions every five minutes or action scenes all the time.
You can take many themes from this anime,
- The relationship between rich and poor.
- How we should treat each other and help each other out.
- EVEN the natural environment and the humans relationship to it.

The visuals were... as they say... stunning! The relationship between Balsa and Chagum is the most touching thing in the world.

Beautifully done.

And for the feminists out there, you have Balsa as a good female example... not because she iis doing things that might be seen as a male role but because she is strong, hard and stoic and yet very tender and feminine.
on 17 September 2014
What a great anime series. A really interesting and well-told story which spends time on character relationships and doesn't focus entirely on fight scenes. That said, when the action sequences come along they are very well done indeed. One of the best aspects of this story for me was that for the most part, just about everybody in the story is trying to do what they believe is the right thing. So, it isn't a simple good versus evil story where you can expect the good guys (or girls?) to win at the end. That said, the story is concluded in a very fitting manner.

I am writing this review from the perspective of someone who really enjoys movies in general but also likes anime movies and series. I have a real interest in the Japanese language and so when I watch anime I always listen to it in Japanese and read the subtitles. I found the subtitles to be well done, updating at an appropriate pace - I regard myself as a reasonably slow reader and I think maybe once in the whole 26 episodes did I have to double-check what the subtitles said. I have some understanding of the Japanese language and I found the translation to be very good, accounting well for differences in culture. I rarely find that an English dub is well-enough cast that it is worth listening to but on one or two occasions I found myself accidentally switched to the English language (a fault with how I used my DVD player, nothing to do with any problem with the DVDs that I was watching) and it sounded like the voices might be okay - which probably means a better than average English casting.

The animation in this series truly is excellent and almost reaches the dizzying heights that would make it comparable with 5 Centimetres per Second. The music fits well with the series too.

I've recently watched a number of anime series, including Evangelion, Darker Than Black, East of Eden, Fractale, Noein, and Ghost In The Shell Standalone Complex. Of all of them, Moribito was one of the easiest to get into and I found it to be as excellent a watch as Darker Than Black although it really is quite different that series.

I have a nine year old son, whom I would be hesitant to show this to but he's not far off being able to see it, so the 12 rating is probably appropriate. I state this because it reminds me of another interesting aspect of the story, which is that human life is treated as being something to value for the duration of the story, which basically means there is no senseless violence to be seen. Or at least, that is my opinion.
on 18 June 2013
Moribito is a standout anime series for me because of how highly character driven it is. You should not go to this series expecting many fights, because there are multiple episodes that focus on things like the history of the characters or developing the relationships.

It is a rather excellent series with great animation, that is appropriate to watch with younger viewers.
on 31 August 2012
The story soars like an eagle at the start of each episode. Wonderfully drawn characters, great majestic landscapes and one of my favourite storylines - a reluctant hero, heroine in this instance, who despite misgivings, takes on a challenge and emerges all the more awesome from it. The rest of the cast is a multitude of interesting and varied characters who you can connect to. Also, there is humour and magic there in right doses. Although not a rollercoaster, this story will sweep you along and won't let go until the end.
on 29 April 2013
Every inch a saga, Moribito takes it's time, devoting entire episodes to character development or short excursions that resemble traditional fables ("The Swordsmith"/"Soil And Fables"). The episodes are relatively short (20-25 minutes) each leaving you wanting more ("I'll watch one more...") and whilst the pace does slow down halfway through, it is not to the story's detriment.
on 3 February 2013
Really nice , well worth the money.
Good story, nice art work,
Strange ideas sometimes, but that's Manga for you.
The monsters after Prince Chagum's egg were a bit of a let down, but can't frighten the kids to much.
Balsa the leading lady is a real tough cookie for a change, Her love interest a man with feelings.
Lovely....
on 2 March 2012
Completely faultless, I adore this anime and came across it by accident. If you love Studio Ghibli, Romeo X Juliet and other beautiful animes - you will also adore this. Compelling story-line, wonderful characters and filled with spirituality, loyalty and a strong female lead. A must see! Enjoy! :)