5.0 out of 5 stars "Withnail and I" given the deluxe treatment....
For the 20th anniversary of this 1986 production a 3 disc set has been assembled which contains a host of extras which includes a director's commentary, a channel 4 documentary and the stunning soundtrack.

Published on 3 Oct 2006 by Milt M. R. Ingarfield

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid the Studiocanal version
Published on 3 Feb 2012 by Dave Rhodes

5.0 out of 5 stars "Withnail and I" given the deluxe treatment...., 3 Oct 2006

This comedy about a couple of out of work actors which stars Richard E Grant and Paul McGann set at the tail end of the 60's who escape their squalid London flat to go to on a holiday in the Lake District, the rich dialogue which contains and ever increasing amount of insults really starts to flow once all involved start drinking heavily.

This is an excellent package for a film that has a huge cult following since its release, a rare example of stunning British cinema given the re-release it deserves a must see film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Liar, Youv'e got anifreeze, 26 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Withnail And I [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Ritchard E Grant as Withnail, Paul Mcgann as And I. With Richard Griffiths as eccentric uncle Monty. Two friends decide that they've had enough of drinking lighter fluid and living without heat. They decide that it's time for a holiday and turn to Withnail's gay uncle for a lend of a country house in Cumbria. Their trip soon turns to hell as they have no food or heating. With all forms against them they attemped to have a good time. Facing mad bulls and homicidal poachers they get through the first few days until Uncle Monty turns up. Then Uncle Monty has a holiday at "And I's" expence and Withnail has a holiday at Uncle Montys expence. The end product is simply priceless. This is possibly the best film that I've ever seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars SOUNDS surprising, 19 Feb 2010
This is my favourite film of all time the conversion to blu ray is good you can actually see posters and labels in the kitchen previously just a blurry mess.
What impressed me the most was the sound quality the initial music as you turn it on with a decent digital sound set up it feels like your there. I've had this film on every format and must have seen it 30 times and still probably will watch it again. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD is essential since VHS wears out after about 200 watches, 5 Jun 2003
Touring Mars (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Withnail and I [DVD] (DVD)
Bruce Robinson's "Withnail and I" is a modern classic, beloved by its cult following, and can be rewatched so many times that most people feel the need to have a spare copy handy just in case one wears out. Indeed, if you can hold on to your copy without lending it to someone and never getting it back, you're doing better than the rest of us!
Loosely based upon his own life, this is a story of two 'resting' actors and how they try in vain to escape the festering stink-hole that is Camden Town in 1969 by having a weekend out in country. Richard E. Grant's astonishing performance as the brilliantly sarcastic, cynical and eloquent anti-hero Withnail, is counterbalanced by the aloof Marwood (better known as 'I'), from whose perspective the film is based around. Richard Griffiths amazingly camp performance as Uncle Monty is one of his greatest roles, and when thrown into the mix with the scheming Withnail and the unsuspecting 'I', it makes for one of the most fascinating menage-a-trois ever to be caught on camera. Aside from the three main characters, there isn't really many other people in the film, but they include the late Michael Elphick as a poacher (who threatens Withnail with a dead fish), Withnail's dodgy mate Danny (who invents the legendary 'Camberwell Carrot', a joint that utilises up to 12 skins) and Presuming Ed (who doesn't say anything in the film except for 'Hare Rama').
Probably the most quoted movie in British history, nearly every single line is like a sound-bite. It has also spawned the most infamous drinking game in movie history, which involves trying to keep up with Withnail's drinking throughout the movie, which in reality is actually impossible. It is the mark of how great an actor Richard E. Grant is to point out that he doesn't drink himself, yet manages to portray drunkenness to absolute perfection, even to the point of giving one of the most convincing portrayals of a hangover in history.
The DVD contains a great documentary which has plenty of Bruce Robinson himself, and discusses how the characters came about, and how the film has earned cult status among other things. It also offers you a couple of different sound options just incase you have a fancy 5.1 system or something similar. There is also some nice stills of Grant and McGann being stupid in a bathroom, and a commentary track by McGann and Ralph Brown (who plays Danny in the film) which is worth a listen.
Don't just buy this movie... buy two or three, you're going to need them!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Definitive Withnail (plus How to Get Ahead), 18 Nov 2014
B. A. Jewitt (Norf Landaan) - See all my reviews
A lot of the reviews on the Limited Edition DVD page seemed to be culled from previous releases (or simply reviews of the film). Since I actually ordered this version I thought I'd chime in...

It's a substantial pack, basically a large hardback book incorporating the four discs at the back.

The remaster of the films is very good and this is most definitely the definitive edition of either (it's especially exceptional in outdoor scenes, though some of the darker indoor ones appear a bit grainy possibly due to colour/contrast balancing).

The Withnail Extras consist of all the docs from Channel 4s 1999 Withnail night (one of which I believe was missing from the 20th anniversary DVD release). So you get the good doc with the cast, Bruce, and randomly James Brown and Adam & Joe, and you also get the doc with the cringey people on a sofa loudly misquoting or misemphasising lines from the film on a sofa on Brighton beach. Plus the doc where more cringey students play the drinking game for your delectation (shudder) and a doc about Bruce Robinson and his writing process (which I didn't remember and is genuinely insightful). A couple of brand new(?) interviews expand on the making of the movie with new stories and info.

The book is coffee table sized, but very large print (I suspect if they do a second/non-limited edition of this release, this book could be massively condensed into a much smaller, thinner paperback book). Republished articles that I don't recall reading before (despite having snipped a fair few out myself), and original reviews contextualising How to Get Ahead...

To make this absolutely definitive I guess they could have chucked in a special edition of Thomas Penman incorporating Paranoia in the Launderette but in terms of the two movies, both of which are f***ing brilliant, this is as good as you can possibly get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shakespeare and I, 14 July 2007
Gordon Charles Ros (Germany) - See all my reviews
There's not much else to add to the glowing reviews of this film which is by far the best movie I have ever seen (and I've seen quite a few) except to draw a parallel between the character of Withnail and a Shakesperian tragic hero. I know that there are students of literature out there who will baulk at the very idea but that's probably because they are too snobby to consider a film like this a work of art. But it is. I must have watched this film 50 times but I never cease to feel a cathartic chill run down my spine when Marwood says goodbye to Withnail in the end:

'I shall miss you Withnail.'
'I shall miss you too. Chin chin.'

This scene is one of the most moving I have ever seen. The drunken fool Withnail, at whom and with whom with have laughed, and who has spent the whole film not giving a toss about his friend, is suddenly and breathtakingly turned into the tragic hero he is and all the laughing gets stuck in your throat so suddenly that you feel shocked and guilty that you have laughed at all. Withnail's pathetically sad attempts to get Marwood to have one last drink are shockingly tragic. 'There's always time for a drink.' If that is not Shakespearian, I don't know what is. But it gets better (or worse depending on how you look at it) with Withnail's final solioquy, delivered in the pouring rain to a pack of miserable wolves...it is his final great act and the tragedy is no-one is there to see it except the wolves. When he walks off into the distance, you are left stunned (well I am) just like when you see Othello unexpectedly stick the dagger in his own heart.

Withnail and I is described and reviewed as a comedy, but I see it as a tragi-comedy. If Withnail and I was just a comedy, we would have long forgotten it. In many ways, it is a brilliant comedy but it is much more than that. I guess we all take out of art what we want and according to how we see the world. I can only speak for myself when I say that Withnail and I is the most beautifully crafted film I have ever seen. I happily confess that it helps to be British (esp. English) and male, but I would argue that anyone over, say, 18 who doesn't feel that carthatic chill at the final scene, is not fully human.

For those of you (and there are a couple) who say they don't like the film, all I can say is: 'Very, very, foolish words man.'

5.0 out of 5 stars great film but........, 11 Mar 2011
Why in god's name isnt there any subtitles for the hard of hearing...i know ordinary mortals dont give two ticks..but
at least on the blu ray discs there should be subtitles!!!!!!!
Anyway rant over....yeah its a classic.Could watch it all day ..well on my own because my wife is deaf she doesnt count!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid the Studiocanal version, 3 Feb 2012
This review is from: Withnail and I [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great film, as we all know, so please avoid the Studiocanal version, which is an edited version. Spend a couple of extra quid on getting the original version instead, it will be worth it. Amazon really should do much, much better with the product reviews it allows, so that it is clear what all these different offers contain. If it had I wouldn't have wasted money on buying this dud.

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic - brilliant as everyone told me it was!, 26 Jun 2005
Kate "honest, deep thinker, sarcastic, unwill... (Dorset - United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Withnail And I [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Hedonism at it's best, if you ever wanted to be an actor - this is a must see and if you haven't see it anyway. Richard E Grant is nothing if not superb in this role, older viewers will go back to their youths, drunken ramblings and comradery with enough doses of wit to keep everyone awake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Withnail & Marwood, 13 Oct 2007
Clem Fandango (N Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
For once the cult hype is totally appropriate although I imagine some gonzos out there brought up on Hollywood 'comedies' a la Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler et al just won't get it !
This is as English as tea & cake or fish & chips.A gentle, warm tale of two down at heel actors crashing into depression and poverty through their thespian inactivity. The cure....a trip to the country -in this case rural Cumbria -to stay in Withnail's camp uncle Monty's dilapidated farmhouse.
Bruce Robinson's script is stunning in it's darkly humorous tone and has spawned more quotes than any other film ever made..period !
Withnail is a cultured cerebral film for mature intelligent people. It's not a kids or chav movie although my youngest son was 12 when he first saw it and he loves it !
How can you explain the magic of Withnail & I...you can't. It just gets you deep down inside or you walk away...baffled. If you are one of the fortunate ones who 'get it' then I'm sure you'll be destined for a lifetime of repeat viewings.

One word of warning concerning the 20th anniversary edition. My copy did not come in the advertised metal box, just the standard DVD case and the sountrack is not THE soundtrack. Just a short 14 minute blast of Withnail incidental music...no King Curtis 'Whiter Shade of Pale' etc I'm afraid.

Withnail and I [DVD]
Withnail and I [DVD] by Bruce Robinson (DVD - 2011)