4.0 out of 5 stars Stellar space chase
Published on 13 Sep 2011 by Discerning

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good story, potentially
At the time of writing, this book is free. There are a few reviews on here saying that this book is really bad/boring etc. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it cost nothing, so the only thing you're down on is time.

Published on 28 Nov 2011 by simon211175

4.0 out of 5 stars Stellar space chase, 13 Sep 2011
Discerning - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Phoenix Conspiracy (The Phoenix Conspiracy Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This is a cut above the rest of the free e-book brigade and the author shows definite promise. Captain Asari Raidan of the Imperial Starship Phoenix goes AWOL after attacking a seemingly innocent civilian convoy and Calvin Cross, the Commanding Officer of the IWS Nighthawk, is charged with finding him.This is a fluent, humorous read with only a few minor typos and I recommend snapping it up while it is still a free download. Definitely one for Star Trek fans. A sequel is on its way and I look forward to reading 'Betraying Nexus' and 'Civilization' when they are released.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine piece of Science Fiction, 22 Sep 2011
Shaun Horrigan "Shaun" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Calvin Cross is the young and gifted captain of one of Intel Wings finest phantom class stealth warships. When he is sent to try and recapture a rogue Fleet Captain who has stolen one of the Fleets most powerful warships he finds himself questioning the man's motives. Why would an exemplary Captain who had been decorated several times turn rogue? Discovering more and more clues Calvin has to risk everything for himself and his crew on a hunch that there is much more to this than he is being lead to believe.

Science Fiction is my first love in literature, and this book really is a fine piece of science fiction! At almost 9000 Kindle locations long, this is a long read, but the time flew by as I found myself turning page after page to find out the next twist in the plot.

Another review mentions that this book would be enjoyed by Star Trek fans, and I have to agree. In fact it reminded me quite a lot of the original Captain Kirk era Star Trek. The technology is not over done and there are no long descriptions of equipment or machines. The technology is really just the backdrop for a great story of command and duty. Characters are strong and believable and the interplay between them is one of the strengths of the book. It's not perfect and in some places the writing seems slightly flat, but I have read far worse by some of the top names in the field.

Kindle presentation is very good throughout with only one or two very minor formatting errors, which I have to say is a great achievement in such a long story.

Overall: I would like to give this story 4 and a half stars, but as I can't do that it will have to be 5 stars. It is probably the best self published "space opera" style science fiction story I have read and the fact that I read such a long book in just two days shows how much it drew me in to the story. I am looking forward to the next instalment and would happily pay for it! In fact I would have been happy to pay for this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good story, potentially, 28 Nov 2011
simon211175 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

I should point out that I found this book to be quite badly written. The book was full of clichés, the good looking captain, who although young has made it so far and always gets the job done even though he struggles to follow rules. The amazingly good looking, but uptight female lead, who you all know at some point will take off her glasses and take the band out of her hair to reveal she is every man's dream and not as tight as first perceived. We have mentions of vampires and werewolves, who at the end of the current story bear little relevance to the story.

Everything about this screams stop reading, but every time I heard that voice, I ignored it. There was something about this book that made me want to finish it. As badly written and predictable as it was, I liked it. The plot is good, if not obvious, and the characters, for all their obvious traits - were likeable. For a first book, this does show promise. I would hope that the author works hard on his style of writing for the future episodes, but for the price - it's worth a go.

Will I read the next in the series? At this point, I really don't know. I'd like to see how the story progresses, but I suspect that unless the preview of the next book shows serious improvement in the writing then I'll leave it alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly engaging read, 16 Sep 2011
The terse yet intriguing description plus its place at the top of the 100 free books available in Science fiction ensured a download. The book itself ensured that I will definitely purchase the sequel. A top novel, one I would have gladly paid for. The book itself had a good plot, and maintained a nice pace throughout. I cannot wait for the sequel to this book, and the release of the other projects he is currently working on. A must download, whether it is still free or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing sci-fi, 22 Sep 2011
Just finished this actually and really enjoyed it, keeeping my attention when I thought I'd dip in and out of it. Its a combination of a star trek type with a complex plot line and pulls you into mulling over what is right and what is not.

Only issue being that the sequel is not ready - however the opener packs a good punch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pulp Sci-fi book, 26 Oct 2011
This book is very much in the genre of the Pulp science fiction books
In the 50's they were priced at 10 cents, so free is okay for this book.
The tale could easily have been based on a current day ship travelling around the globe. Why would I say this? Well the plot is a standard conspiracy with an enemy, to over thrown the empire. What it lacks is the advance science that a true Sci-fi book deserves. Bullets on a spaceship .. come on! cells with iron bars, computer hard drives...these are even old hat today!!! The Author has forgot Frank Herbert, Arthur C Clark etc The beauty of a good Sci-fi is you can twist the story by the advanced technology, theory's and alien ideas. If he had used some of these unique tools open to a sci-fi writer, the tale could have been more adventurous and unpredictable. Then the book might truly reach the stars!
so sorry only three stars and half of those are for the cover of the book - typical of a pulp Sci-fi book, good cover mediocre read.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG ! Awseome...., 13 Sep 2012
Hi Folks

Well, if your looking at this review, you could be considering getting this book !

Warning !... It is very well written, its compelling, its exciting, the characters come to life, and you are drawn in the story.
I couldn't recommend this book any higher, in fact, I was so into the story, I was compelled to purchase the second book.

Now, hurry up Richard, I'm waiting for book 3 !!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Careful about the Sequel, 5 Jan 2012
An excellent read and well formatted - can't believe it was free. A bit like Star Wars in style. A word of warning though. At the end of the book the author tells us a sequel is coming called The Phoenix Rising. I so enjoyed The Phoenix Conspiracy and wanted to know what happens next that I searched for The Pheonix Rising and bought a book of that same title but didn't notice the Author was different (Gary Caplan). Be warned, although this is also sci-fi it is not worth reading even if free (I paid over £6 for it and regret every penny).

Since writing this original review I have read the next two books in the series, each priced at nearly £5.00 (Kindle version). They are also excellent but be warned that you may be in it for the long haul if you get hooked as there is still no sign of a conclusion at the end of book three.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow starter, but gets better, 23 July 2012
S. Reeves - See all my reviews
It's one of those books where you can tell the author is finding his feet, in the 1st quarter of the book, some of the descriptions are a bit OTT (yes we get it, Summers is beautiful), but bear with it, it does get better. Others complain that the story isn't finished at the end, but isn't that the point of books in multiple volumes?
The 2nd book is a lot better, drawing you in a lot deeper into the characters and action.
If you had to pay for it, I'd give it 3 stars, just because of the beginning section, but one of the best free ones I've read in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent opening volume of a space opera trilogy with Cold War overtones, 5 Sep 2014
Whitehatter "Roy Ellor" (Salford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
definitely a fine piece of sci-fi.

When I come across books like this, the test of it is whether the first free instalment makes me go back and pay for subsequent volumes. With this I did, immediately on finishing the first book. It isn't a great expedition into the esoteric or magical realm, it's a solid and believable piece of space opera with Cold War overtones as our hero Calvin finds he has to go rogue from his Investigation Service masters to chase down the real story behind matters he finds his ship embroiled in.

Plots and subplots are easy to follow, with layers of intrigue skilfully handled by the author. It's a novel that holds the reader's attention and in true Saturday morning cinema fashion, you want to immediately dive into the next instalment of the story as the depth of corruption and danger increases.

Great page turner from a young author who shows huge promise for the future by turning in a solid opener to a well-plotted trilogy.