5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning debut - I could not put this book down!
Published on 26 Sep 2011 by DaisyChainBookReviews

3.0 out of 5 stars 28 DAYS LATER meets INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS for teens
When the world's rocked by a series of earthquakes, the destruction of buildings and roads is only the beginning. Separated by geography, Michael, Aries, Mason and Clementine soon discover that the earthquakes have unleashed something ancient and evil. Soon their friends - even their own family - are engulfed by violent, uncontrollable rages that drive them to kill. No...
Published on 29 Nov 2011 by I Read, Therefore I Blog

4.0 out of 5 stars The Stuff of YA Nightmares, 9 Nov 2011
This review is from: Dark Inside (Hardcover)
Dark times lie ahead for these few survivours of one of the world's most devastating turn of events probably ever witnessed. After a series of earthquakes, bomb explosions and destruction North America (the setting for the several story strands though it is global) has been left in limbo with no communication means and the few survivours at a loss as what happens now. Then things get really scary. People start to change. Seemingly normal people that survived the initial events are becoming dark and attacking and murdering people in the most terrible ways. It's almost like the darkest corners of their human existence that would normally be hidden away is unleashed and allowed to take hold. The best way I described it to others is to imagine that you are in a situation where a little voice says to do something awful and then your logical brain says no and makes sense; well that logical part is gone completely and the little voice is a shouting one with time to play.

This book was disturbing. I cannot stress how fear-provoking and chilling elements of this book was and I was somewhat comforted to find out that some of my fellow blogger buddies were finding the same thing while reading it! It's so realistic and almost believable in some elements that you can imagine it happening and the writing is so detailed and gripping that you are sucked into this horror story no matter how much you want to run away. Like our central characters, you have no escape and find yourself on tender hooks as each character chapter ends and clinging on until it picks up again. Honestly I kept wondering if this was really a YA books because I was scared reading this and could read it when it got too dark out of fear. I'm 26 and I was physically terrified to turn each page for fear of what was to come but couldn't stop myself because it was just too good to put down.

The stories are all equally engaging and thought provoking as a reader and you really get into their heads individually but some characters I liked more than others. I think my favourite was definitely Aries because she seemed like the most relatable of the characters to me and I think I'd be most like her if I was stuck in the same situation. She kept her humour and tried to be strong but didn't pretend that she wasn't always in control because in extremes like that I'd be shocked if you could be. You assume that all these stories will come together but it quite a long road because they are all so spread out and from different places mentally as well as physically but this gave you time to learn about them as people as well as the horrors going on around them in this new world.

This book is very much a dystopian future fiction on the darker side as we see the darkness in humanity and a much more sinister look at the way fiction can be done when done well. Though at times I found the book hard to read because of how unsettling it was, in a way this made for a better read because it made me have such a strong reaction to it. It's a book that's meant to hit you in the gut with a sucker punch rather than just give you a bit of a shove.

Not for the faint hearted and for fans of I am Legend type dystopias and The Walking Dead/28 Days later type horrors. As a debut novel; this book truly will haunt your nightmares.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning debut - I could not put this book down!, 26 Sep 2011
This review is from: Dark Inside (Hardcover)
A totally thrilling page-turner, Dark Inside is an intense, exciting slice of apocalyptic awesomeness from debut author Jeyn Roberts. Undoubtedly one of the best books I've read this year, Dark Inside is a white-knuckle roller-coaster of a ride that kept me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. A survival story with chaos, anarchy murder and mayhem at its core, Dark Inside is not for the faint of heart, but since horror is my first love, I couldn't get enough of this book!

Dark Inside opens as a series of earthquakes occur across the world, rocking the earth to its core and unleashing an ancient evil inside the minds of humans everywhere. Those who can resist the dark inside must now fight to survive in a world gone mad where danger lurks around every corner in the form of the `Baggers' who exist only to hunt the survivors down and tear them from limb to limb. We see this scary new world through the eyes of four teens, Mason, Aries, Clementine and Michael all of who witness terrible atrocities, such as Clementine who sees a town hall meeting turn into a bloody massacre and Michael who witnesses and act of extreme road rage and is lucky to escape with his life. Mason escapes the bombing of his school only because he is visiting his dying mother in hospital, while Aries, caught in the earthquake, is helped to safety by a mysterious stranger only to find that the world has changed forever, and now she will never be safe again. Throughout time civilizations have fallen and now it's our turn as mankind turns evil and begins to destroy the world as we know it.

What makes this book so entirely gripping and so, so scary is that it is very believable. The enemy in this book is all of us - family members, teachers, law enforcement, boyfriends and girlfriends - because we all have a dark inside, and nobody can be trusted. Think of the world we're living in now. It's not a very nice place. Not a day goes by when countless atrocities occur the world over, and I only have to think back a few weeks to the London Riots to cite an example of when people lost all sense of reason and started causing absolute mayhem on the streets. Throughout time, mankind has been his own worst enemy, and that is the scary notion explored throughout this book. It's clever, compelling and will leave you with lots of food for thought.

While Dark Inside contains plenty of carnage within its pages, this book also stands apart in its sublime writing and fantastic characters. The narrative structure of this one might take a little getting used to as it's told in alternating chapters from the point of view of the four teens mentioned above along with chapters from the mysterious `Nothing', but once you get to grips with the different narrative voices and their stories, this is a truly addictive read. The characters in this book are not perfect, they are flawed and sometimes they have to do nasty things to survive in this crazy new world they find themselves in, but you will root for them, and you will admire their will to survive. Dark Inside also contains a great cast of supporting characters including the adorable Chickadee who provides some wonderfully touching and tender moments in an otherwise bleak existence and a hot guy with a lot of secrets who I am harbouring a crush on even though I know it is so very, very wrong of me. I think I might be taking my love of bad boys just a step too far here. We'll see...!

For me Dark Inside had it all, and it is still playing on my mind even now. I have lots of questions and theories on this one. With great movie potential and huge crossover appeal I was blown away by this dark, edgy tale of anarchy and mayhem. Its real End of Days edge-of-your-seat stuff and I couldn't get enough of it. Jeyn Roberts is a writer to watch and I can't wait to find out more about this ancient evil and the new world it has created when the sequel (working title Sanctuary) releases. This one comes highly recommended from me. Go read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Will appeal to fans of Grant's 'Gone' series, 20 Nov 2011
This review is from: Dark Inside (Hardcover)
Dark Inside was a fantastic yet disturbing read. Although I shouldn't judge books by their cover, it looked a bit boy orientated which I found a little peturbing after finding Gone disappointing. The story was interesting and easy to follow. Right from the beginning, I was thrown into a world that had been completely shaken up by an earthquake and the consequent turning of a group of humans into zombies. This is my first zombie novel and it surprised me how much I liked it. The zombies weren't described as being overly gruesome but were infact quite hard to distinguish from humans, which made them even more frightening and dangerous. There seemed to always be some tension between the main characters and whoever they met, for this reason, which really built up the suspense. The story is told in four points of view, by Mason, Michael, Clementine and Aries, all of whom I found to be very interesting and well developed. It was interesting to see how their different situations in different places affected them. The 'Nothing' point of view was effective, but I did think it could've been developed some more. I found the whole situation to be really captivating and the writing was good. The descriptions really did make me feel unnerved at points, the atmosphere was terrifying and on-edge. There was action throughout but it wasn't too much, the book did feel well balanced. I wasn't wholly satisfied with the ending and though it was nice to see the protagonists unite, I think it could've been even more exciting and expanded upon. This was much better than expected and I'd love to see more from Roberts.

5.0 out of 5 stars shockingly fantastic, 30 Aug 2011
Dark inside by Jeyn Roberts

Earthquakes rock the earth places crumble to ash and people are killed within a blink of an eye but the worse is still to come. Evil has been set free and is changing people into something dark. Killers and hunters ready to tear you apart.

Four teens Mason, Aries, Clementine and Michael each in different places fighting to stay alive and to keep the darkness out there souls. Will they live through the horror that awaits them at every corner.

In the course of the book you manly follow four characters they are all different and the author has put them together really well. You follow the journey of these characters from the beginning from the not understanding what's going on to the having to survive. It's emotional and scary and you sometimes wonder if the characters are just going to give in.

The book was dark and deeply twisted in a way I really loved. Each character was not only trying to stay alive but was trying to keep this evil from getting inside them. It was a rollercoaster of action and fear and horror and I loved every page till the very end.

The book was well written and easy to get into because you are thrown right into none stop action from the very start. There are scares, shocks and so much more I don't want to give too much away but you need to read this book.

5 stars
This book is dark and deeply twisted and shockingly fantastic

4.0 out of 5 stars Scary, dark & disturbing book, 15 Mar 2012
Mr. K. Cross "keithcelt2" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dark Inside (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Oer! Yes, certainly scary....I had to keep the light on a couple of nights after reading parts of this book!!! Okay, the plot is a little thin, but it's still a roller-coaster ride of a read, reminding me somewhat of James Herbert's early book, 'The Fog'. Following an earthquake, the world goes mad, with some people turning into vicious killing machines. Those not effected have a desperate struggle to stay alive. Because the effected do not turn into monstrous-looking creatures (like zombies, for example), & they look like any other person, it makes it all the more frightening, because you just can't tell who your enemies are....until it's too late!!! The action is seen through the eyes of four teenagers, all well drawn characters, all believable & likeable folk that I found myself rooting for. This is aimed at a young adult audience, but I'm fifty seven & thoroughly enjoyed it. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT a good book!, 27 Jan 2012
Tina Gillham "magic112" (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Inside (Hardcover)
This is a fabulous read, I started it before bed last night and was still reading it at 3am! Not finished yet, but had to come to amazon this morning to find out if this author had written any more. It's an apocalyptic tale about four young people who are trying to survive in a world that has had a series of earthquakes. These disasters are not the whole problem, people (most people in fact) have become filled with an evil rage that drives them to destroy others.
What a good book this is, I highly recommend it and I am 50 years old, not even the target audience.

5.0 out of 5 stars When's the next one out?, 21 Jan 2012
N. J. H. (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dark Inside (Hardcover)
There's been a pretty mixed bag of opinions on this debut book for Jeyn Roberts but I absolutely couldn't fault it. We're thrown into a world, not much different to our own, and gradually introduced to the lives of four truly fantastic characters. I think the key to a good book is often it's characters and Dark Inside has such a broad range of different personalities that I had a fairly detailed opinion on each one of them - which isn't to say that they were all likeable.

Not far into the book an earthquake impacts upon the lives of everyone and every continent of the Earth. And although this might seem like a pretty interesting story at that, it just gets better. Something odd begins to happen and certain people are acting strange - strange enough that the blood of those they know and potentially love will be on their hands.

If you enjoyed the "Gone" series by Grant then this will definitely appeal to you. However, it is completely different so don't expect the same sort of storyline. This is a unique story about a journey during the apocolypse to survive and avoid the temptation to give in and kill.

If I was forced to pick a fault with the book I would say that I agree with some other reviewers that some parts of the beginning take some getting used to because of the amount of characters being introduced so flicking back to previous chapters is sometimes helpful but not essentially.

I recommend this to anyone after a new and interesting read that promises to keep you gripped. For those of you thinking of buying for children I would warn that some scenes might be considered quite disturbing (due to the amount of death and brutality) but not in a graphic or gruesome manner. Perfectly suitable for teens + though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and action packed!, 6 Nov 2011
Jade (Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Inside (Hardcover)
With so many dystopian and post-apocalyptic books out on the young adult market, it really does take a lot to pull something new out and impress me. Dark Inside was one of those books that had a fantastic synopsis but I was worried that it wouldn't be unique because the whole 'people suddenly going crazy and murderous' has been used so much in movies.

On the surface, Dark Inside was totally amazing, the plot was amazing and the execution was absolutely perfect. It was one of the most thought-provoking, scary and unique apocalyptic novels that I have ever read and I zoomed through it in about three hours. Looking deep down there were a few issues, which I'll mention in a minute, but these issues didn't make me enjoy Dark Inside any less. I just feel as though I should mention them as I am, after all, reviewing this book and not just writing a post gushing about how amazing it was.

The plot was unique, I wouldn't actually call it dystopian or post-apocalyptic because the apocalypse happens during this book (but I'll tag this review as that because I don't know what else to put it under), and it isn't quite zombies because these aren't rotting, hands out, "braiiiins" zombies, they are something much more terrifying - normal human beings who have been taken over by the dark inside of them, intelligent human beings who are strategically ridding the world of those that haven't turned murderuous and that is what makes the book as scary as it is.

My issues with the book were few, and I would like to mention that in no way did they ruin this book for me. I found that because the book was switching between five characters, with little difference in the narrative voice, I didn't relate or connect with any of them as much as I felt that I could have and I feel that we should have focused on two of them, (Aries and Mason, the two with the strongest narrative).

There were also a lot of events that seemed unrealistic, such as Aries's group not being found, which were essential to the plot but I felt was too 'lucky' to be realistic. This wasn't such a big deal because our characters all had their share of good luck as well, so it evened it out.

Overall, I absolutely loved Dark Inside. It was totally unique and had me holding my breath in fear until the very last page, despite not being able to connect with the characters I was totally dragged into the storyline. I am so excited for the sequel. I would recommend this to dystopian fans and thriller fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, brilliant., 29 Sep 2011
This review is from: Dark Inside (Hardcover)
When I first saw the trailer for this book, I didn't exactly know what to make of it... I just knew it looked amazing. So I was hoping the book was just as good. I put off reading Dark Inside purely because I had so many other books to read, but when putting it off just became annoying I finally picked it up and read it. I wish I'd picked it up sooner! Jeyn Roberts did an amazing job of getting straight into the story, attracting the reader immediately. Once you read the first chapter, there is no putting it down, you'll just want to continue reading...

I love the fact that the 'Nothing' has it's own chapters. There isn't really any hints as to what or who the Nothing is at the start of the book, but Jeyn does start to drop in hints. Our four main characters also have their own chapters, as they don't know each other... yet.

Mason is the first of the four we meet, and we meet him just as he receives the news that his mother has been in a car accident. He goes through a tough time as he just can't accept the fact his mother has gone, and he says that he doesn't want to talk about it because that makes it real. Now most people have other family members around to help deal with it, not Mason. So the next person he'd turn to is his friends... Unfortunately some 'baggers' blew up his school and none of his friends are in a position to comfort him anymore...

Then we meet Aries - who is actually a Gemini, nice touch of humour there Jeyn. She is on the bus with her friends Colin and Sara heading to school for an Alice in Wonderland rehearsal. Needless to say, they don't all get there. There are earthquakes breaking out everywhere, and unfortunately the school bus Aries is on is effected by the aftershock, and not everyone survives. Aries is saved by a mysterious stranger and then helps her look for her friends. Colin, (who I hate - I have no sympathy for this boy whatsoever) Is a wimp and runs away. Sara is found, unfortunately she's already passed on by the time they find her. Once they've found Sara, the mysterious stranger accompanies Aries to safety before leaving.

After Aries, we meet Clementine. Now Clementine was at a town meeting with her parents when things turn nasty. Clementine is told to leave the building by her mother when two baggers enter the room and kill everyone. The baggers in this story are cruel, plain and simple. Though we don't exactly know what it is that made the humans go crazy and turn into baggers. When she escapes and is almost attacked herself by a bagger before he turns back for a second, giving himself enough time to tell Clem to run, she vows to find her brother Heath which was originally her mothers plan.

The final of our four characters is Michael. Michael and his friend, Joe, witness a horrible crime during a road rage, and then witness something just as bad when the police turn against everyone and shoot the onlookers. Michael and his friend escape in the car of another onlooker called Evans. It doesn't take long till Michael is on the run again with Evans. Who do you turn to when even the police are the bad guys?

Now along the way all four of the characters meet up with different people, form different groups, and have different stories. But eventually, they all meet up... Some form long lasting relationships, some don't. Two in particular broke my heart. As much as I want to talk about these two relationships, I can't because I don't want to spoil any of the twists in this book, but I almost cried due to one event. The way Jeyn Roberts wrote this particular event was delicate and sweet, despite the fact it was a sad event and in the middle of all this crap with the baggers...

I really enjoyed this book, and would recommend this to anyone with no where to be, no one to see, no one to speak to - someone with a few hours when they can just be alone with this book. I promise. Once you start, you won't want to stop.

Jeyn Roberts wrote an amazing book, and one thing it taught me in the case of an earthquake releasing that here, is Trust no one. Not even yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary! Worth reading, 31 July 2011
V. Nicholl (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dark Inside (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really did find this scary. Having been a bit doubtful at the start (the first few pages didn't grip me, and I thought I'd got a clunker) I soon got reeled into the story. There are a lot more characters than the short description implies, which is good, because the author doesn't pull any punches. Noone is safe, and you aren't presented with paragons of virtue. These are real people, who have flaws. They get scared (who wouldn't?!) and they make mistakes, some of which cost others their lives.

This isn't a zombie novel. There are a series of earthquakes world-wide and a huge portion of humanity goes crazy. Some of them it is easy to tell, some it isn't. Who do you trust? If you haven't become one of the crazies, does that mean you won't? Our characters simply don't know.

I don't know if there is going to be a sequel to this book (I would definitely read it if there is) and I can't decide whether it would be good or bad if there wasn't. This book would stand brilliantly on its own, but equally, if the author's imagination can sustain the story, there is lots more to be told. If you liked Carrie Ryans 'The Forest of Hands and Teeth' or Mira Grant's 'Feed' or Kirsty McKay's 'Undead' then you should definitely give this book a try.

Dark Inside