5.0 out of 5 stars Sheeptastical!
I bought this game on import a few months ago and played it solidly until completion, which is pretty unusual for me nowadays, being an older gamer with other commitments. I simply don't have time to waste on playing sub par games. I can happily say that this game is far from being sub par. As soon as I started the adventure it pulled me in to it's sureal world. At least,...
Published on 12 Feb 2012 by Birdman

3.0 out of 5 stars A world of pain
Catherine is unique, I'll give it that. But although it's slick it's one of the most frustrating games I have ever played. From the creators of Persona and Digital Devil Saga, we have what feels like a dating sim game crossed with a platform puzzle game. You play as Vincent, a guy having a personal crisis about committing fully to a relationship with his girlfriend. At...
Published on 27 April 2012 by A. Griffiths

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected more than a puzzle cut-scene hybrid, 7 Nov 2012
This review is from: Catherine (PS3) (Video Game)
The important thing to know about this game is that it follows a very strict structure of cut-scene, talk to people in bar, puzzles, 50/50 choice on a relationship question, repeat. It repeats this structure all the way to the end and for a game that suggested lots of choices and control about a character in a relationship with two women I was slightly disappointed and expected more variety and control over the story: Heavy Rain this is not. Perhaps I just got the wrong impression from the trailers but it's important to know what your buying.
Now onto the positives, remember those cut-scenes and puzzles i talked about? They are amazing, first the cut-scenes; great character, dialogue, visuals, and English voice acting were incredible and often of the same quality (or even better) of popular anime series and films. It's funny, surreal, dark and has elements of Satoshi Kon (Perfect Blue but less serious). The story was engaging and unpredictable and I must admit I found Catherine very charming and this was reflected in the limited choices I was allowed to make that got me a very good and quite funny ending that I felt accurately reflected my decisions in the game.
The puzzles, oh the puzzles, what frustration and sleepless nights you caused me but the thrill of finally beating the level was great. No puzzle was so difficult I had to check walkthroughs, I just gave up and came back to it half an hour later with a clear head and brain in top gear and was always able to beat it. The puzzles are devious but fun and challenging, constantly evolving as new types of 'puzzle blocks' are introduced as you progress through the levels.
As a puzzle game with cutscenes this is brilliant, 5 stars (hence the 'fun' rating) but more control over the story, a few different locations instead of the bar (Vincent's office for example) with better side quests and more variety would be necessary to make this a overall 5 star game.

5.0 out of 5 stars We need more games like this, 23 July 2012
This review is from: Catherine (PS3) (Video Game)
I imported Catherine when it first came out in the US, and I must say for me THIS was the Game of The Year, a completely new title which turned out to be more interesting than sequels of the well-known IPs.

The story tells about a few days (nights) of Vincent, a 30-something guy who is in a long-term relationship with Katherine, when he meets a girl of his dreams - Catherine. The plot revolves around his decision who he is going to stay with and, depending on your choices, you've got several different endings to unlock. It's very rare that a game would pick up such mature topic, and I was surprised how realistic the dialogues between characters were.

The gameplay is mostly a block puzzle game, and a very challenging one (the new difficulty option 'very easy' was added for the Western release). So if you are playing for the first time, I recommend that you swallow your pride, play on 'easy' and I guarantee that this will still give you enough challenge. The game takes about 12 hours to beat first time so if you want to unlock different endings, you will still have a chance to try different difficulty options.

I strongly recommend the game, especially if you are a mature gamer who wants to have a short break from saving the princess/world/galaxy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky as Hell, 30 Jun 2012
This review is from: Catherine (PS3) (Video Game)
In a time were the video game market is dominated by throw away shooters and under done RPG's Catherine is a real gem. Its weird, really weird, and as a result feels like a game that the developers actually loved and really didn't give a hell whether or not anyone else liked or even cared about it. The story is insane - and awesome, and at times a little touching - it deals with cheating, love and perhaps - if you read to much into it - the purpose of partnership in life. That quite starkly contrasts the other side to the game that is effectively a giant block pushing puzzle game, with sheep, lots of sheep. The puzzle sections task you with climbing to the top of a giant tower by pushing blocks to make a path, it sounds simple but actually gets really hard towards the end. Catherine as a great story, fun gameplay and a sense of dedication and love rarely seen these days in video gaming. A Must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Catherine Review, 5 Dec 2012
Miss AL Holloway (Oswestry) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Catherine (PS3) (Video Game)
What can I say about the game Catherine? It is truly one of a kind. Its Wikia guide calls it a "horror/romance/puzzle/adventure video game", not something you see every day in a market dominated by generic FPS games and it certainly stands out by occupying a very specific niche.

The story itself focuses on a 30-something guy called Vincent who's at a crossroads in life. He is happy with his girlfriend Katherine, but she wants commitment, marriage and children, and Vincent likes things the way they are. He goes to his favourite bar, the Stray Sheep, every night to spend time with his friends, he has his own apartment and he likes his life the way it is. Basically, he is in no hurry to settle down.

This isn't the first time in a video game that a romance takes centre stage in the plot, but this is not about saving the girl, your princess is not in another castle, it's a lot more complicated than that. One night at the bar he has a few too many and wakes up with a cute blonde girl called Catherine. She seems like his ideal woman, sexy and free spirited, and now he is in a dilemma... Katherine, or Catherine? To make matters worse, men have been dying in their sleep and there are rumours that it is a curse for men who cheat on their partners. Vincent has started having nightmares - could he be the next victim? Definitely not your standard video game plot.

The gameplay is split into two parts. During the day you play Vincent in the Stray Sheep bar. Whilst you are there you can chat with your friends, send and receive text messages, observe and interact with the other bar patrons and staff, watch the news on TV, change the music on the jukebox and play a mini game called Rapunzel which is an arcade machine in the bar. Oh, and get drunk of course! (And you should get drunk, I will explain why shortly). All the conversations you have in the bar have different answers you can choose, which will tip a morality scale one way or another and lead to different endings in the game. When you are done with the bar, go home and go to bed, and this is where the nightmare begins....

The second part of the game play is Vincent's nightmare world. In this part of the game you are solving puzzles, which take the form of towers of blocks. The blocks must be moved by the player in such a way that you can make a clear path to the top, and escape the nightmare to live another day. In between each puzzle there is a landing floor, where you will find others trapped in the nightmare, all of whom appear to you as sheep. They see Vincent as a sheep, although you see him as himself but with sheep like horns. You can save your game at these stages, talk to the sheep to learn puzzle solving techniques, and buy items to help you.

Before advancing to the next level you must enter a confessional and answer a moral question, which will again effect your morality scale and potentially the ending of the game. At the end of each level you will face a boss character who will try and hamper your progress whilst climbing the tower. Successfully navigate the boss level and Vincent will wake up to face another day. Fail and "Love is Over". Tip: The more you drink in the bar, the faster you can move in the nightmare section. If only alcohol had such positive effects in the real world!

So, that's what the game is all about. Still interested? Good. Here is what I like about the game. Graphically, it is very nice indeed. The cut scenes are like watching an animé cartoon, and the music is quirky and suits the game well. The nightmare scenes also look superb, with bosses so grotesque I could not believe my eyes! On the whole the voice acting is great, although there are occasions where the lip synch doesn't quite fit - to be expected I suppose, since the game was dubbed from Japanese.

There is a lot to explore, and it is worth going back and talking again to characters you have already spoken to to gain more back story and helpful tips. The Rapunzel arcade game in the bar uses the same premise as the nightmare section so it is handy for getting used to the controls and practising techniques. I like that the story is something a bit different, and that there are multiple endings which adds replayability value to the game. Completing the game also unlocks a new two player mode which again adds replay value.

So what isn't so good? Well, nothing in particular, but you'll either love it or hate it - Catherine is definitely a very quirky game and not for everyone. You may find the characters a little irritating, Vincent is kind of spineless, Katherine is a bit of a nag and Catherine might be a bit of a dumb blonde, but there is more to her than meets the eye! Gameplay wise, the puzzles are addictive but they are rock solid hard. I have never been so frustrated with a game in my life and sometimes I need a day away from it just to keep myself sane, but then when I come back to it I will often kick myself as it is like the solution was staring me in the face the whole time.

Only being able to save the game in between levels is a pain too. You can reach a checkpoint half way through a puzzle, but if you want to stop and replay another day, your save will restart you from before you began the puzzle. This can be frustrating, especially on harder levels. However, I really enjoyed the challenge of this game and so far I've only played on the easiest setting! I am not sure if I will ever attempt the harder modes - it is clearly not for the faint hearted - although getting through a level, especially a boss level, is so rewarding it makes all the frustration worthwhile.

Don't buy this game if you aren't prepared to try something different. Don't buy this game if you're the type of gamer who gets frustrated and throws the controller down when things get tricky. Don't buy this game if you are looking for an easy platinum, as you will be disappointed. However, if you are after a departure from the norm and a wicked challenge to boot, then give this a try. I'm glad I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Catherine - LOVE IS OVER!, 18 Feb 2012
This review is from: Catherine (PS3) (Video Game)
Being a fan of Persona 3 and Persona 4, I was really looking forward to "Catherine" and was generally intrigued by it's plot and artistic style. When I finally got to play the game (on import) I was not disappointed. The game itself is split up into two main parts, Vincent at the bar talking to his pals as he goes through the ordeal of juggling both Catherine's and Vincent ascending the block tower in his boxer shorts. I was initially concerned about the puzzle aspect of the game as I had read that it was insanely hard infuriating experience, these concerns were alleviated as the puzzle aspect of the game actually turned out to be a very enjoyable, addictive and organic experience...HOWEVER this was with me playing on easy mode. Normal mode is somewhat harder and won't let you step back when you make a mistake. I found easy mode a nice challenge. It wasn't too easy and indeed some people may struggle with this mode, if so, there is a very easy mode selected by holding down select on the start menu. The other half of the game in the bar has lots of nice cutscenes and I found talking to the people at the Stray Sheep (the bar) a lot of fun. Without wanting to spoil the plot too much, Vincent encounters many moral dilemmas and his decisions throughout the game lead to different endings. The possibility for different endings adds extra replay value to the game, so perhaps maybe play through on easy mode on a first run through and try normal on a second run through in an attempt to get another ending.

All in all I really enjoyed the game, like the Persona games it is a little bit different and embraces the mundane, which for me adds to the appeal of the game. Those of a sensitive disposition maybe put off by some of the racier cutscenes in the game, but for me, that side of things isn't as bad as some have made out (though that maybe partly due to my gender), the game is about adult themes and relationships and doesn't overly embrace fan service.

Give it a go, but of course be ready to hear, "I'm not ready to die yet." by Vincent A LOT!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 8 July 2014
fantastic

5.0 out of 5 stars A very unique game (in a good way), 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: Catherine (PS3) (Video Game)
I have currently put about 40+ hours into Catherine, and I seriously don't see why people are complaining about it. Sure, the game is not for everyone, but for the people who it is aimed at, this game is one of the most unique games around (when I say unique, I mean it. I have tried to find a game like this one, to no success).

Although it is not visually the best, and controls can get a little weird at times (especially when navigating behind the blocks), its music is absolutely wonderful (not surprised by this as the music was composed by Shoji Meguro. For all you persona fans, like me, out there, you know how great his work is). I personally loved the visuals (again, all you persona fans will recognise Shigenori Soejima's work just by looking at the front cover) and I loved how tense the game can get at times.

All in all, a wonderful game. If you don't like hard timed puzzle games, then this isn't for you. But if you do, then be prepared, because this game is very challenging on hard, but trust me, you will feel like you've conquered Mt. Everest at the end of it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most annoying game I have ever played., 29 May 2014
This review is from: Catherine (PS3) (Video Game)
This game will cause you to get VERY frustrated. I won't go into the story because I'm not giving it away. But the gameplay is very frustrating. You climb up a tower on each level. To get to the top you must move blocks and climb up them. It's NOT as simple as that though. You move them in all different directions to create the right platform so you can progress to the top. While that is happening the blocks beneath you fall, so you can't sit around and think for to long. The game also has life's. So if you lose them it's game over.

Don't rush through this game. Choose the difficulty carefully. The games first few levels will not be too difficult on medium. But when you get around halfway through the difficulty spikes up a lot to the point we're the level I was stuck on was next to impossible. You basically have to rush through the level very fast, and must do it perfectly with no mistakes or you won't make it.

Overall the game is fun. But gets frustrating. If you can handle repeating the same level over and over again then go and buy this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Catherine (PS3) (Video Game)
Wonderful gift for someone into puzzles games, came in a nice package. Came as seen as well as a wonderful game.

4.0 out of 5 stars 3 weeks to deliver, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Catherine (PS3) (Video Game)
It took about three weeks for this game to arrive, from the date I bought it. The package was sent from the US, which explained why.

With no indication of this on the item description, and with no delivery tracking options, I was a bit peeved.

Then again, the price here is dirt cheap for a fantastic game, and the game itself was in fantastic, wrapped condition. Just beware if you're in a hurry to play it, or are buying it as a gift, etc. If you can bear the wait then go for it.

Catherine (PS3)
Catherine (PS3) by Deep Silver (PlayStation 3)
17.43