5.0 out of 5 stars split ends
Published on 2 Jun 2012 by Ken Webb

2.0 out of 5 stars handle shattered
Published 13 months ago by Bald Eagle

5.0 out of 5 stars split ends, 2 Jun 2012
This review is from: Spear & Jackson 6.5lb Razorsharp Log Splitting Maul (Garden & Outdoors)
Having, for years, used a log felling axe to split logs but then had it nicked, I bought the maul through necessity. And very pleased I am too. Thankyou thief. I was tempted to buy the more expensive models but as an occassional splitter this is just the job. Also, the flat end is good for belting the grenade I bought with it, a good combination that worked on even the toughest branch intersections. In my head I was suddenly a lumberjack in British Columbia with echoes of the Monty Python song, 'I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay ...'. rolling off the tongue. The predominantly strange looks from my wife were however tempered with a subtle hint of sneeking admiration for, 'her man'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Log splitter axe, 26 April 2012
Axe arrived two days after order and does what it is supposed to very well. The weight of the axe allows logs to be split easily without much effort. After a few weeks use it is still very sharp. Sturdily constructed. A good purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars S & J splitting maul, 6 Feb 2012
David Turner (Mereyside U.K.) - See all my reviews
I have recently purchased this maul for splitting fire wood logs from various trees. I chose it initially because the cutting face and materials appeared better than the more commonly advertised brands. I cannot comment on the shortcomings of the others or their benefits, but I can assure anyone looking for a splitting maul that this must be a top contender. I have split 7" dia birch branches 4ft long with relative ease, 16in eucaliptus stumps 2ft long with a single swing.I have never used full force as I'm not yet expert enough and anyway I'm no Charles Atlas. I didn't buy this maul through Amazon as their lead time of 4-5 weeks was excessive but once they are in stock you will be doing well or spending more to beat this product. Look for other suppliers if you're in a hurry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 23 Oct 2013
Needing a new splitting maul, I could not decide what to buy. This Spear and Jackson for just over £20, a Bahco which looked much nicer for £50 or an extremely nice Gransfors Bruks for £90. When buying tools my usual approach is to buy the very best as they tend to work better and last longer - cheap tools are just a false economy. However, having read around on the internet, some people suggested that a maul does not need the finesse of a felling axe, and that a £20 version would be just fine. The Bahco, which I nearly bought apparently has a strange handle which is not easy to replace, and £90 for a maul is a LOT of money. So on the basis what I read on the internet, and the other reviews here on Amazon, I bought this. And it is very good indeed. I have been splitting logs with it and does the job just fine. I have also been using it to split logs into kindling and again it just gets on with the job. So if like me you are in need of a new splitting maul and can't decide how much to spend, just get one of these - and spend what you have saved on other tools for your workshop.

5.0 out of 5 stars logsplitter, 21 Jun 2012
top quality tool, the price was right,delivery was fast,I used it the first time on spliting eucalyptus logs, that where 2feet a cross with ease well pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp, 27 Nov 2012
I bought this for chopping wood for our wood burner and it take no effort, you could almost show it to the logs and they split them selves! Great product and great service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 28 Oct 2012
On the back of other reviews I bought this.
Great tool.
It does work best with well seasoned wood, but it feels tough and reliable.
Chopped up lots of big 10 inch logs today.
Very good price too.
10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars so far so good, 21 Oct 2012
Works well i have split many logs already, so much more effective than a grenade type splitter and a nice solid Handle.

2.0 out of 5 stars handle shattered, 19 Sep 2013
By nature i am careful about tools and also comprehend the potential dangers to self and environment when using a heavy axe. In consequence it was a complete surprise when the shaft of my axe shattered after about a month of use. I was splitting small Sycamore trunks. This is not a difficult wood to split as it laminates easily in all directions. Very disappointed as i had chosen the S&J brand for both quality and value perceptions. I think i will select a resin handled model next time.

5.0 out of 5 stars As described, 1 Feb 2014
Tom (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
As described. You hit stuff and it breaks things. What more can you say? Use with a pair of gloves to aboid blisters