5.0 out of 5 stars Delonghi Lattisima Plus
Published on 24 Nov 2011 by Simon UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't recommend this machine
We bought this as a replacement for a Magimix M200 Nespresso which sprung a leak after six years. We opted for the Lattissima because it was the only model available that heats and froths milk with steam, which is what we are used to. We were not keen on the idea of an aeroccino.

We have always used only ristretto capsules and continued to do so with the...
Published on 16 Jun 2012 by pilatesforlife

5.0 out of 5 stars Delonghi Lattisima Plus, 24 Nov 2011
This review is from: Delonghi EN520.W Nespresso Lattissima Plus Coffee Maker - White (Kitchen & Home)
Hi, Well what a journey, I have been through the mill trying to find a great coffee machine and I have had bean to cups and unless you are ready to spend 750 upwards they are a waste of time. I was just about to spend 1000 on the new Jura and I saw the ad on TV (The Clooney One)for a new Lattisima (PLUS)which I had never seen before and realized that this was a one touch machine for 230!!!

I love Nespresso as the quality in brilliant but all the machines are very basic and dont offer one touch drink (at least one that works)To be honest I wasn't expecting much and thought it would go back but I was wrong.

The build quality is amazing, it looks really great, it has a small footprint, it makes REALLY HOT drinks from standby, you can adjust all quantities, the froth is as good as i have ever seen, reservoir is well located, the milk jug nossel can cleans itself and can be located in the fridge, it takes ANY cup or glass.

For 225!!! Dont even bother buying anything else unless you specifically want to grind beans and spend 4 time the money, OK Nespresso is expensive but anything worth having always is right!

Funny thing is nobody has stock, not even Nespresso so I was surprised to see one on Amazon and Amazon being Amazon I had it in one day.

I hope this review helps someone

Good Luck

Simon

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally steamed milk and no messy grinds (with caveats), 28 Dec 2011
I had been using a Nespresso Citiz + Milk for nearly two years and whilst I loved the convenience of a quick & easy latte in the morning, I still missed the taste and texture of steamed milk.
So, when I saw a Lattissima on offer with the 60 of free coffee I decided it was time to upgrade.

At first there was disappointment:
1) whilst the Krups Citiz + Milk main body was constructed of metal, most of the outer surfaces of the Lattissima are plastic - I don't think they will bear up as well as the Citiz machine (which still looks in amazing condition after two years).
2) There is no simple Latte option - only a cappuccino and latte macchiato button - both of which produce far too much froth - even on the lowest setting
3) It does not come with a Latte glass as pictured in all the photos! and my current Latte glasses were too tall to fit under the spout!
4) The lower drip tray has deep grooves and is not removable - which makes it a pain to clean if you spill some milk onto it!

However, the steamed milk it delivers is really well done. So I decided to persevere. After a bit of messing with the milk volume and coffee volume I have come up with a workable (if slightly awkward) solution. I use one cup to collect the steamed/frothed milk and then quickly swap in a latte glass when the pump for the espresso bit kicks in - there is a small delay between when the milks stops and the coffee starts. I then skim off the froth from the milk and then add the milk to the espresso.
Result - a great latte which in my mind is as good as any I get from high st chain coffee stores.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy-to-Use and makes Great Lattes., 18 Sep 2011
Bruce "from Brighton" (UK - England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First impressions are that this is a high quality product, well-packed in an attractive box which serves as a carrying case with integral handle. Opening the box, you find a heavy but compact unit, along with an introduction to Nespresso, a glossy user manual and a pack of 16 capsules - each one a different blend or type of coffee. The Nespresso guide has a kind of "menu" for the capsules, which describes their strength, flavour and origin. This is a nice touch and makes each feel like an "experience".

The documentation is extensive and also points you to the NespressoClub website, where you can get more information and sign up for newsletters etc. You can also buy accessories like Glasses/Mugs and more coffee capsules. It looks as if the latter cost less from this source, than if you buy them direct from Amazon - which surprised me. Although you have to buy a minimum of fifty at a time.

Setting up the unit was a bit fiddly and time-consuming - although you don't have to do this every time and of course you don't want to be drinking anything other than what was intended - so it's best to be safe and rinse out all the components before you start. Of course, you need to do keep this apparatus regularly cleaned at least every few weeks. But the hope is that the results will be worth it.

So the proof of the pudding ...does this make good coffee? I like Cappucinos and Lattes rather than strong espresso and I started with a light capsule. People have said to me that making this kind of thing is a skill - but I have never attempted to do anything like this before. So I reckoned if I could make something drinkable, first up - then this must be "easy to use".

You full up the "tank" with water, choose your capsule and in my case filled up the milk container. Then close the lever for the capsule and press the button for the drink you want - I chose the Latte Macchiato. Make sure you adjust the milk spout to go in the cup and you're away - it's as simple as that.

As it was, my first attempt was a bit too frothy with too much milk - but that is easily resolved with a knob assigned specifically to this function. After a bit of stirring, I tried my first drink and it was surprisingly good - really different and interesting flavour - on a par with coffee I had drunk in good cafes. Not up to the very best - but the way I see it, it can only get better as I try more and make subtle adjustments. After a few goes I can get this to make a really nice Latte.

I am very impressed with the high quality approach and the way that the capsules give you Italian blends or pure coffees from Columbia, Brazil or even India. It's certainly a very interesting experience and a way to sample many different types through the club. I also like the fact that you keep the capsules and can then re-cycle them. This seems to be a really "neat" system that takes up minimum space and uses minimum resources to provide your coffee - nothing is thrown away or simply discarded.

It's slightly complicated - but if I can do it first time with no problems, then I'm sure anybody could. I can see no downsides - as long as you follow the instructions carefully. I would recommend this highly - especially if you want good coffee but have limited space.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING MACHINE, 30 Nov 2011
Very quick and easy to use. Compact size and delivers good hot coffee. Would recommend this coffee machine to anyone that likes fresh coffee

5.0 out of 5 stars Nespresso review, 11 Aug 2012
Mrs. Mfb Chaytor "MYALEE" (AUSTRALIA) - See all my reviews
This is a fantastic coffee maker - great for lattes and espresso, macchiato etc. Also very easy to clean and use. Well worth the investment

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't recommend this machine, 16 Jun 2012

We have always used only ristretto capsules and continued to do so with the Lattissima. Similarly, we used the same cappuccino and espresso cups. Initially, the coffee didn't taste too bad, although it seemed noticeably weaker than that produced by our Magimix M200. It was also not hot enough for our tastes, despite heating the cups prior to using the machine. Nevertheless, we decided to persevere.

After about four weeks, the taste of the coffee obtained from this machine really started to deteriorate. It tasted quite insipid and was totally lacking depth. The difference in quality of the coffee produced by our old machine and the Lattissima was remarkable, considering we were using exactly the same Nespresso capsules. It is possible to reprogramme the Lattissima to adjust volumes of milk and coffee and we have tried several permutations. All, however, have failed to produce coffee of comparable quality to our old Magimix.

Around this time, the Lattissima indicated it required descaling. I queried this with Nespresso as it had only been used for about 20 cups of coffee a week, if that. Nespresso said the machine had a quirk whereby it often needed to be descaled early in it's life. They assured me that, after this initial descaling, the process should not need to be repeated for 3 or 4 months. Time will tell whether this is true. If this machine requires descaling every 4-6 weeks, however, running costs will rack up, considering you can only use Nespresso branded descaling kits, at a cost 7 with delivery charges on top.

I had hoped descaling our Lattissima would improve it's performance but evidently not; we are still getting luke warm, insipid coffee. I actually tested it against our old Magimix using capsules from the same batch, the same volume of milk etc. The coffee from the Magimix had a far superior taste and was hotter. It is just a shame that we can't continue to use it regularly due to a leak.

I felt certain that De Longhi machines must have a lower bar pressure than Magimix as this seemed the only possible explanation for the inferior quality of the coffee. I rang Nespresso to query this but they stated both machines had 19 bar pressure.

On the plus side, the Lattissima is very easy to use and clean. You basically press a button and the coffee comes out - it's just a shame about the taste. The manual recommends the milk frother is dismantled and cleaned twice a week. I rinsed all the parts through after every use, however, as the milk left in the container had a slightly foul smell after it had been heated. I would certainly not return any unused milk in the frothing container to the fridge to use again, as suggested in the manual. You can, however, learn to judge exactly how much milk you need.

Judging by the other reviews, a lot of people are clearly happy with their Lattissima. We love Nespresso coffee, just not from this machine. Maybe we bought a dud. We will certainly try to return it as 200 is a lot of money for a machine that makes coffee we don't want to drink.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good Nespresso machine with some good touches and a few niggles, 3 Sep 2012
DWB1873 (Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used Nespresso machines for over 10 years now, starting with a baseline model which was all manual and no milk function up to the more recent machines that are fully automatic with milk capabilities. This is my second 'milk machine', replacing an earlier Delonghi model.

It's clear to see the evolution the machines are taking, not to mention the changes in user and environmental demands - for instance, this machine is the first one I've had which does not feature a cup warmer - a good feature, however a waste of power if you don't actually value warm cups. It also features a much more effective and robust milk system than previous models.

Nespresso works on the basis of capsules - aluminium coffee pods. It's still one of the neatest systems around, though I wish they were a bit easier to recycle. With it being propriatary, you do need to order coffee direct from Nespresso, however I have found their service excellent and their prices have been reasonable for a long time (29p for basic espresso, rising to 33p for the posher options) - there are over 15 types of coffee available, so sure to find one that you like with a bit experimentation.

Back to the machine...
Cons:
1) The water tank is quite small and if you're making a lot of coffees, it will empty quickly. It's easy to see the level though and easy to fill up.
2) The used capsule container is also small and I find it fills up quickly - easy enough to solve by emptying it more often!
3) The power save feature is frustrating - the machine turns off in under 5 minutes if you don't use it. Considering it can sometimes take me this long to get all the bits and pieces together this is touch annoying and I would value the option to be able to increase the timeout.

Pros:
1) A neat, small machine with a minimal footprint (though still larger than a kettle) on the work surface. Design is neutral and would fit pretty much any kitchen.
2) Fully automatic options for lungo (large) and espresso (small) - just insert capsule and push button.
3) Milk system is excellent - much easier to use than earlier models I've had and the froth adjuster actually works - very easy to use and to get good results. Also reasonably easy to clean, though the pipes are quite narrow so a bit difficult to remove milk fat deposits. Overall though, very easy to use.
4) Quieter than previous models I've had, though still a little noisy if you're used to the silence of filter coffee.
5) It really is simple to use.

Overall, I would highly recommend this machine, though I would advise that if you are regularly making lots of coffee for guests, or value features such as the cup warmer, to look at the earlier Delonghi models still available - it is possible to get ones with bigger tanks and so on.

If, however, you just want a simple machine that produces great coffee and frothed milk with minimal fuss, this is definitely a machine to put near the top of your list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 20 Dec 2013
I bought this machine about 1 months ago and I can't praise it enough. Looks great on my counter top and takes up hardly any room. We drink mostly milk based drinks in our house so first think I did was change the settings for the latte macchiato as this only gives you an espresso size shot of coffee. We use the Lungo pods and I set it to dispense a lungo shot, then I adjusted the amount a milk. I now get a nice big cup of latte each morning.

Some people complained about the coffee not being hot enough. I always prime the machine before the first use of the day. This means running just the lungo shot through without a pod in it, I then press the clean button on the milk container, this warms the cup before I press the latte button(obviously discard the water first). Coffee comes out nice and hot.
Yes this machine produces quite a lot of foam but as I take sugar in my coffee a quick stir seems to get rid of that. To be honest if you set it to the lowest setting it's not much of a problem.

Cleaning the machine is a breeze. Just dismantle the milk container and stick it in the dishwasher, this can be done once a week. I tend to do it every couple of days, just to keep it nice and clean. All the drip trays and pod containers can go in aw well.

As Nespresso are offering a a 70 gift card with this machine it's turning out to be a bit of a bargain, only problem is I'm now drinking twice as much coffee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little machine, highly recommended, 13 Dec 2012
A. Sharot (London) - See all my reviews
This is my second coffee machine the first being a Krups Dolce Gusto Melody 2, which was fine for 18 months, but so difficult to clean that we eventually had to throw it away. Delonghi hardware appears to be better designed and built from higher quality materials, which helps to explain why it is times the price, and the fact that it uses real milk unlike some pod based rivals means that lattes and cappuccinos are in a completely different class. If anything espressos are better too and if like me you like your lattes nothing beats a one touch coffee machine that makes the whole thing from scratch to coffee shop standards in about a minute.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Coffee Made Easy, 3 Aug 2013
Mouldy (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these excellent machines to replace our ageing Siemens TK50 Nespresso machine. It is clear that a few years worth of technology has moved the preparation of a proper cup of coffee forward somewhat. Our old machine was bulky and frothing the milk was a seperate task from the preparation of the coffee itself. From switching this compact machine on to sitting down to a latte machiatto takes little more than a minute and tastes every bit as good as a coffee from one of the high street coffee shops. Setting it up out of the box was quick and easy and routine cleaning of the milk container, which is easily detatchable to keep in the fridge and ready to use, takes just a few minutes a couple of times a week.

There are negative comments regarding the temperature of the drinks that this machine makes, but a simple tip I learnt from the Nespresso Club is to place your cup or glass under the milk dispenser nozzle and use the cleaning button for about 10 seconds to steam and preheat the cup, then tip out the small amount of hot water that accumulates and prepare the drink in the normal way. Even without this process, I have no complaints about the temperature of the coffee, but preheating the cup will help to keep it slightly hotter.

A further tip is to not buy your coffee capsules from Amazon, where they are usually twice the price that you pay if purchased directly from Nespresso. I have just replenished my supplies, buying 200 capsules for 60, including postage, which is usually by next day courier. Joining the Nespresso Club is free and all the details are included with the machine.

Don't hesitate . . . if you like good coffee, this is the easiest way to make it at home!