5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read, 17 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Unseen Chronicles of Amelia Black (Kindle Edition)
The Unseen Chronicles of Amelia Black introduces our heroine, Amelia, as a 'kind, curious and wonderful' soul. Throughout, the book highlights this and takes us on a fantastic adventure through the Unseen Universe with Amelia and her friends as they try to find out what has happened to her parents. The book twists and turns through imaginative landscapes, described so well that you feel the author has surely visited the Unseen Universe for himself. I will not give any more away, for I won't do it justice and each part of the adventure is worth discovering for yourself.

The illustrations are fantastic and add a lot to an already interesting book, adding a visual to the ideas in your head of this wonderful place.

All-in-all a fantastic book, one that transcends age groups - there is truly something for everyone here.

I, for one, cannot wait until the next installment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Amelia Black - An endearing, exciting and edgy story, 22 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Unseen Chronicles of Amelia Black (Kindle Edition)
The Unseen Chronicles of Amelia Black was like a step back in time for myself as an adult. With an intelligently composed story-line and a gripping delivery, the book offered much of what was essential reading in my teenage years and I felt happily challenged as an adult to sit back and imagine the fantastical world that the author had created.

The story unravels swiftly and maintains a fast pace throughout, with super cliffhangers at the end of chapters that make the book a real page turner. The array of lovable characters feel three dimensional from their offset due to the author's knack for quirky, personable description, drawing us into each character's pysche. There are some very humourous moments as we get to know the personality clashes and in particular the interchanges between the two robots!

Of course, the book is not all sweetness and light. There is also, I'm glad to say, a wonderful dark side to the tale - some of the 'baddies' are really quite frightening. Again the author delves into the personality of these demons and we see them in many different lights which I thought made the story even stronger. Some of the demons are tangible and some are not so tangible which I found to be very intriguing, as are the wise musings of the older characters in the book.

There are delicious hints that everything is not exactly as it seems, but I don't want to give anything away - however, I am very much looking forward to the second book in the series.

It is also impossible not to mention the strikingly compatible partnership between the author and illustrator, whose mesmerizing illustrations compliment the book perfectly - painstakingly detailed and dynamic.

I would definitely recommend this book for children, teenagers and also adults who enjoy fantasy such as Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc. I also think it would be very enjoyable to read aloud to younger children.

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this story, 24 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Unseen Chronicles of Amelia Black (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this story. It reads like an Lewis carol, CS Lewis or Enid blyton taking me back to childhood days. I think most p5/6 girls would love it. The characters are quirky, dynamic and in some cases very creepy. A beautiful old school charm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Darkly dreaming Amelia, 27 April 2014
This review is from: The Unseen Chronicles of Amelia Black (Kindle Edition)
This is one of those lovely, dark little children's tales that adults can look at and similarly appreciate in the vein of Gaiman or Burton. I'd recommend it!

The Unseen Chronicles of Amelia Black