5.0 out of 5 stars Onward and Upward
I found much to admire in BBC's 2010 album 'Flaws' and their new release
'A Different Kind Of Fix' delivers yet another laudable compilation. The
largely acoustic ambience of 'Flaws' is substantially swept away in this
collection of twelve new compositions. There is a harder, denser more
abrasive sound in evidence here which looks back to their 2009...
Published on 30 Aug 2011 by The Wolf

3.0 out of 5 stars Hot Dog Jumping Frog Alber-Bombay
Published on 7 Sep 2011 by Joseph Augustine

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year!, 29 Aug 2011
This review is from: A Different Kind Of Fix (Audio CD)
I loved their previous stuff but this is the best album they've made so far! It's pure brilliance. "Still" and "Shuffle" are incredible. The album is perfection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bombay Bicycle Club Are Finally Brilliant, 2 Sep 2011
This review is from: A Different Kind Of Fix (Audio CD)
I have to say, the hit single Always Like This by BBC has dominated my 'Top 25 Listened To' on iTunes for a long time, it's the song that first got me hooked into listening to Bombay Bicycle Club. However, they haven't produced a song quite as good since. The first album, I Had The Blues..., was filled with driving guitars and was a lot of fun to listen to. But it was an album that you listened to a few times and you thought you'd heard it all. I felt if they had honed that sound to perfection like they had on Always Like This, it would've been brilliant (not only that, the opening instrumental track, Emergency Contraception Blues, showed promise). I decided it was worth waiting to see what they turned up next.

I listened to Ivy & Gold soon after in anticipation of their second album, Flaws. A lovely little folk number, a pretty decent song I thought. However, when I found that the whole album was dedicated to this style I was less sure of whether I liked it. Rinse Me Down was a fairly good song as well. But at the end of the day any joy I found in the album was overshadowed by my disappointment they had discontinued the sound off their first album. My hopes for a new 'Always Like This' dwindled.

But there is good news at the end of this story. A few weeks ago I found the single 'Shuffle' and was amazed Bombay Bicycle Club were going to make another album in such a short space of time. On my first listen I quite liked it, but on repeat listens the piano riff lodged itself in my head and made me want to dance around like a crazy man. I happily realised BBC could be back with the album I really wanted from them. As luck would have it, Spotify put the album up a full 3 days before it came out, and for the first time I was happy I forgot to cancel my Spotify Premium subscription XD.

Now onto the actual review of the album, sorry if you hate me for making you read that bit above. I felt it was necessary to say it though, a nice build-up to my expectations for this album :P.
Album opener How Can You Swallow So Much Sleep was exactly the sign I wanted, it's a reworking of the original one composed for a Twilight film. It was typical Flaws style originally, all folk but still nice; and thankfully this time they've put the groove in it and livened it up. The rest of the album has a similar style, although each song is more distinctly different than in their last two albums. It certainly rewards repeat listens, and even its first two standout singles (Shuffle and Lights Out, Words Gone which is absolutely brilliant)will make you want to jive after the umpteenth time of listening to them. The first 8 tracks are really quite lively, with a more plodding three or four songs at the end. It quite nicely slows down, although perhaps more jiving would've been welcome. Closing tracks Favourite Day and Still are definitely signs of maturity of the band, and cement this as a good ALBUM rather than just a good collection of tracks.
In summary, more cohesive, more jivey, more mature, and more...better. Definitely loving this band at the moment and one of my favourite albums of the year so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 12 Sep 2011
Dr. L. Hamill "Laura Marie" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Different Kind Of Fix (Audio CD)
I have a previous BBC album and loved it. I bought this and haven't looked back. It is different from the Flaws album with a wider range of musical styles and a few more upbeat tracks.

Buy this album!

I Recommend Bombay Bicycle Club if you like:
Villagers
Idlewild
Laura Marling
Mumford & Sons

5.0 out of 5 stars Toe taping excellence, 31 Aug 2011
The usual suspect (2nd aisle on the right, top shelf) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Different Kind Of Fix (MP3 Download)
I'm a new member of the BBC fan club. I'm really lucky too because having only just got Flaws I find they have a new album out but a week later. Cool!

It's coffee drinking, gather around the campfire music that quite simply relaxes me. Damien Rice without the anger and more of a smile, in a nutshell.

A Different kind of Fix is much more electric than Flaws and hence carries a more rocky sound, if I dare call it that. Can't say it's better than Flaws since that's all going to be down to taste, I'll sit on the fence and say it equals it. I'll also say it's my favourite album of the year so far. Noah and the Whale is great but it's criminally short at 33mins! This is 50mins of top tracks all the way through.

Peace...

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!, 19 Feb 2012
I LOVE this vinyl with all my heart! My friends are so jealous of it! I have framed it on my wall along with my signed foals-cassius vinyl but it completely shows it off! The signed vinyl is so much better than the signed album. So happy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Hot Dog Jumping Frog Alber-Bombay, 7 Sep 2011
This review is from: A Different Kind Of Fix (Audio CD)
If 'Flaws' was Bombay Bicycle Club's well delivered difficult but subtly brilliant second album foregrounding the charmingly talented Lucy Rose - certainly it might have been for the Ivor Novello Awards - then 'Fix' is sure to become the commercially successful third album. However to my ears there is nothing here too adventurous compared with earlier material, but steady enough to build upon a growing fan base...

Steadman and Co's distinctive sounding vocals and guitars shine on tracks such as 'Bad Timing' or 'What you Want' exhibiting cool exciting chord progressions in keeping with the first album. However, equally this time around, there are lesser and somewhat cliched moments like the jaunty radio-friendly 'Shuffle' that has a rather contentious twee-ness factor built-in. The song construction also steers towards the styles of others bands. 'Still' for example resembles a Thom Yorke a la Radiohead piano classic. This fact taken alone detracts from the crafted arc of distinctive experimentation one might have hoped for IMHO and possibly lowered raised expectations.

If 'I Had The Blues...' had the cool-surf vibe with a great white bulge of catchy riffs and 'Flaws' is achingly reflective and sensitive, then 'Fix' is M.O.R quirky catchiness reminiscent of Prefab Sprout. Jack Steadman even makes a passing resemblance to the younger 80s bard (minus white beard) if you squint hard enough!

As much as it pains me to say at this moment Two Door Cinema Club's stuff is slightly more ear-wormery catchier from another up and coming kids-in-nappies British band. Which one is destined for greatness is hard to say..?

1.0 out of 5 stars I like Flaws... but it wasn't what I ordered., 5 Nov 2012
This review is from: A Different Kind Of Fix (Audio CD)
I really enjoyed Bombay Bicycle Club's second album, but opening up the case to 'A Different Kind Of Fix' and finding the disc for 'Flaws' inside was a little frustrating to say the least.

2.0 out of 5 stars Better live, 3 Oct 2012
G. Shalders - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Different Kind Of Fix (Audio CD)
A few good songs but no way near same league as Mumford and Sons. Heard them on TV at one of the summer romps and sounded good. Wont be purchasing another.

1.0 out of 5 stars Music spoiled by poor production, 4 Jan 2012
This review is from: A Different Kind Of Fix (Audio CD)
I can't criticise the music but this would have been so much better if the recording wasn't so compressed.

Once again an artists music is ruined by dynamic compression which leaves the music sounding harsh and loud. Come on guys you can do better than this.

BBC did you know your music is being ruined by poor production?

2.0 out of 5 stars A gem in a mediocre album, 24 Feb 2012
M. Bass (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Different Kind Of Fix (MP3 Download)
You don't want this album. It's same-y, unimaginative and outstays its welcome. If you want a large volume of Bombay Bicycle Club buy the excellent 'I Had The Blues But I Shook Them Loose'. What you do want, however, is the song 'Shuffle', which may be one of the best songs of the year. 'How Can You Swallow So Much Sleep' and 'Lights Out, Words Gone', which as far as I can tell are the only other singles off the album are pretty forgettable, bar one or two lines of the catchy riffs Bombay Bicycle Club excel at. Not their best, and feels slightly rushed out to make us forget the boredom of Flaws. Here's hoping they can turn it around next time!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›