5.0 out of 5 stars Thomas Ades Anthology, 21 Sep 2011
M. J. Fuller (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thomas Ades: Anthology (Audio CD)
Well done EMI for its commitment to Thomas Ades. These discs make a very satisfying survey of his work to date. The first disc includes some recent, previously-unrecorded pieces for solo piano, and these are warmly and fully recorded without the slightly recessed sound of earlier pieces on the 'Life Story' disc. Personally I'd like to have seen 'Asyla' included amongst the orchestral music on the second disc - maybe the Berlin version, currently only on DVD - but every listener is likely to have different preferences among Ades' phenomenal output, and the selection here charts his development as a composer very effectively.

I look forward to recordings of 'Court Studies', 'In Seven Days', 'Lieux Retrouves' and 'Four Quarters'!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, and also good music!, 13 Dec 2013
J. Higham "joehigham" (Europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thomas Ades: Anthology (Audio CD)
This was a quick way of getting to hear who Adés is musically. Furthermore, on hearing it I was most impressed! I'd only heard the Adès Asyla: Chamber and Orchestral Works before, a gift from my brother many years ago - probably also from Amazon!

This compilation (or anthology) is really packed with exciting music. Some of my favourites are the "Chamber Symphony" and "Living Toys", with a quite superfluous trumpet solo in it, something one would normally find on a Gil Evans arrangement. But all the music - to my ears - is really exciting. The pieces I mentioned would seem quite 'jazz' orientated works - to give you an idea of the style. But saying that there are other gems here such as the Piano Quintet which ranges from delicate modern melodic music to more harsh dissonant sounds, great stuff!

One of the small complaints is that the booklet that accompanies the CDs isn't that useful. It does have all the basic information, an interview and a short bibliographic essay. However, I think if you mix up all this music (EMI) it could be useful to explain a little more, and give us details of the musicians involved?

Apart from that I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone curious to discover either contemporary (classical) music, or just curious to hear something of Thomas Adés.

Thomas Ades: Anthology
Thomas Ades: Anthology by Thomas Ades (Audio CD - 2011)