5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic
Someone To Watch Over Me I am a great fan of Susan & this new CD didn't disappoint. I think her music has a healing quality that reaches out and touches others. I loved it.
Published on 24 Nov 2011 by annann

2.0 out of 5 stars Simon Cowell to blame?
Published on 13 Mar 2012 by xeyan

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 24 Nov 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Susan Boyle - Someone To Watch Over Me, 4 Dec 2011
M. E. Simmonds "Fun lover" (Farnham, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Someone To Watch Over Me (Audio CD)
The third Susan Boyle CD is just as enchanting as ever. There are some new tracks on it that I have not heard before, and she sings them just as beautifully as ever. I have it on my CD player in the car, and she keeps me going on my journey. Well done, Susan.

2.0 out of 5 stars Simon Cowell to blame?, 13 Mar 2012
This review is from: Someone To Watch Over Me (Audio CD)
I am a great fan of Susan Boyle but was extremely disappointed with her latest offering. Simon Cowell or whoever else is advising her has got it all wrong this time. Firstly the CD at only 33 minutes long is very poor value for money. Secondly the choice of songs doesn't suit Susan's voice at all and thirdly the backing music is feeble in the extreme. In my opinion, Susan needs a powerful (but not overpowering) backing sound of a large orchestra for maximum effect.

For example compare Susan's rendition of Unchained Melody (with only piano accompaniment) with that of the Righteous Brothers' magnificent version with full throated orchestra and especially the supremely effective drums building to a wonderful climax. No contest!

If Simon Cowell does not buck up, he will be in serious danger of alienating a large number of Susan's fans. We (and Susan) deserve better!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice c.d but very short., 9 Nov 2011
Mr. Keith G. Smith (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The latest offering from Susan Boyle is a good selection of songs.The most outstanding are You have to be there.Unchained melody and Return.Only 10 tracks & this adds up to not quite 34 minutes of play.Hoping Susan's next album will be at least a couple of tracks longer.10 tracks for 8.99 is pushing it somewhat.Still a nice c.d though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really really surprising, 5 Jan 2012
This review is from: Someone To Watch Over Me (Audio CD)
Let's get one thing straight first - I am not a person that is susceptible to reality/talent show bandwagon behaviour. I don't rush out to buy something because Simon Cowell manufactured a emotional reaction to his latest 'find.' I watched Susan's BGT shows and thought she was good, but figured she was just another in a long line in this genre whose success is propelled by something other than true vocal talent.

So a few weeks back a friend sent me a few tracks of the album - the Depeche Mode remake and the first song. I hadn't really heard much of the other albums Boyle has done and what I did hear sounded too controlled - too tight. So I didn't hold out much for these. But they propelled me to buy the album. I frankly was quite astounded. Boyle has a delivery and musicality that is far beyond what you would expect from someone that had been singly professionally for such a short time. Her phrasing - the emotion that she imparts into these songs is really quite superior. It reminds me a lot of Elaine Paige - only, well... better.

My only criticism isn't really one - I can't quite figure out why they didn't include a full length version of Someone to Watch Over Me. The small bit they do include is some of the best on the album.

Well worth a listen if you enjoy this kind of music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Someone To Watch Over Me-Superb!, 9 Nov 2011
So excited when this CD/DVD arrived and it didn't disapoint. Beautiful heartfelt vocals on this album.
You must buy the CD/DVD to get a true feel of the album.
Simply Wonderful. Well Done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely enchanting, 11 Nov 2011
J D Tilston (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Someone To Watch Over Me (Audio CD)
I'm sorry so many reviews about this CD have been wrecked by people who don't seem to be able to respect the right of other people to have an opinion on something. Okay, if you don't like the CD write a review stating that, but don't comment on other people's reviews if all you are doing in commenting is telling them their opinion is wrong. It isn't - to them - so their opinion should be respected. Music, like art, literature and poetry, is a matter for the individual so people will have differing opinions on anything in those categories and no-one is ever really right or wrong. In those instances the best gauge of something being good or bad is how many people rate the item one way or the other and not so much what is stated.
Anyway, on to the CD. I don't find it depressing (and I am a depressive). I find it melancholy, which is very different. It transports a listener to somewhere other than where they are and that can give a person as much respite from their lives and problems as anything meant to bring that can. While she may not sing the songs the way the writers or performers of the originals sung them the way she does sing them is enjoyable and excellent. This album is, in my opinion, the best of the three she has done now and shows her at her best so far. I think it is showing us what this fine, much better than club, singer really is and I sincerely hope her agent and the rest of the team she works with stick with her. I think it's going to be a long time before people tire of her. It will certainly be a long time before I do. I think most people have forgotten that person who stood on a stage and stunned us all now and have moved on to realising she was, and is, far from a five minute wonder. This CD has moved her up another step, I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovers of Susan will savour this album, 7 Nov 2011
Susan has the unique capability to transport you to another realm, even if you are doing the ironing! But best to sit back, close your eyes and enjoy this wonderful singer who has so much genuine feeling in her. Her rendition of Lilac Wine and Mad World are alone more than worth the purchase price of this album. Seldom do you come across the real thing nowadays, but Susan is just that. Long may she continue to give us of her god given talent. Thanks again lassie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Calming, 12 Nov 2011
This review is from: Someone To Watch Over Me (Audio CD)
I was not a great lover of Susan Boyle, I admired her but never considered buying a CD of hers. However, I watched her recently in a documentary and I liked some of the songs she was singing so I decided to buy the CD. I absolutely love it, Susan Boyle has a beautiful, clear and pure voice and has so much emotion in her songs that all you want to do is listen to the songs over and over again, which is exactly what I have been doing this afternoon whilst deep cleaning the kitchen. I liked it so much I am about to buy another one for a friend for Christmas, her voice is so calming and relaxing you just want to close your eyes. Not a good idea when you are supposed to be cleaning but never mind, what a lovely CD I can recommend it to anyone for anytime. I think I have just become one of her biggest fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 7 Nov 2011
This review is from: Someone To Watch Over Me (Audio CD)
This woman is truly an inspiration. It doesn't matter what she sings, it's like hearing the song for the first time. Her rendition of Mad World is phenomenal, it has the power to transport you to another place, a place of dreams; the inner reaches of your soul. Someone to Watch Over Me, is a hauntingly beautiful album that showcases Susan's voice in a whole new light- one capable of highly sophisticated and stylistic interpretation. Bravo! Brilliant!

Someone To Watch Over Me
Someone To Watch Over Me by Susan Boyle (Audio CD - 2011)