4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value Dual Sim Mobile Phone
Published on 13 Nov 2011 by Andrew - Milton Keynes

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Regrets
I have had this mobile for 6 weeks or so and bought it with the same motive as others; not wanting to carry two phones around with me. I would like to be positive as most other people are or at least share the view; its Ok for the money. Moreover, I would not want to contradict those who point out that basically the two sims work well together, sound is acceptable,...
Published on 28 Jan 2012 by Bbradshaw

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value Dual Sim Mobile Phone, 13 Nov 2011
This review is from: Samsung E2222 'Texto' Dual SIM Capable Sim Free Mobile Phone (Electronics)
Having had to carry around two mobile phones is a pain, and I have had this pain for the last six years whilst running two separate businesses as a sole trader. I have been aware of dual sim mobiles overseas for a few years, but taking the risk of purchasing abroad is not for me, aside from an i-phone-a-like mobile bought for a few quid on an auction site. This didn't work, with O2 blocking the handset ID, so it was back to the double phone set up again!

I've kept an eye on dual sim phones, which have been tipped in the UK press to be the next thing to hit the UK markets for the last couple of years - but nothing has really come to pass, and you cannot buy a dual SIM phone in any of the main mobile phone retailers.

I noticed this Samsung E222 here on Amazon for a very reasonable price so took the punt - and I am very happy I did.

Both O2 SIMS were accepted by the phone straight away and despite Samsung's extremely limited manual, you're guided by the phone itself to set up in no time.

It's not a 3G phone, and it does not have WiFi - so don't expect to be surfing the net at high speed. The flip side of this is a extraordinary battery life - Five days of light use and it's still on half battery!

It's a good phone for texting, given the 'Blackberry' style of QWERTY keyboard, the call quality is a tad on the muffled side compared to my iPhone, but you can hear your callers just fine.

Operationally, you can set a different set of sounds for each SIM card; for example I have two distinct ring tones and text alerts for the two numbers, so you know how to answer the phone.

Both SIMs are active during standby...meaning that you don't have to switch between SIMs to receive calls. To make calls, there's a SIM switch button on the keypad so you can select which SIM to dial out on. You can also set the phone to display a different colour theme and wallpaper, again so you can clearly see which SIM is active for calling out with.

The phone is very light, a little smaller than an iphone and much lighter. The screen is fine for everyday calling and texting. A single BlueTooth connection (absent from some of the budget Nokia Dual Sim phones) is useful for handsfree dialling.

If you're on a call on one SIM and you receive a call on the second SIM, the second SIM will send to voicemail as if you were busy on a normal call.

There's apps for chat on Facebook, Gmail, Yahoo etc - I haven't personally set them up or used them. There's a couple of Java games, calculator etc, all the usual stuff.

The box comes with a UK plug charger. There is no wired handsfree kit, you will need wired headphones if you want to use the built-in FM radio. There is also no data cable in the box, but I bought a genuine Samsung one for a couple of quid. It's a standard micro-USB slot on the side of the phone. The phone also takes Micro SD cards if you want to store images etc., again you'll need to buy your own if you want to do this.

This is an advanced basic phone, if that makes sense. If you want a smartphone, this is not for you. For me personally, who just wants to receive two lots of phone calls and texts in one unit, it's perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great dual sim phone, 17 Nov 2011
This is my second dual sim phone, as like many people I did not like having to carry a work phone and a personal phone.
Yes the camera is poor, but this is a phone - how often do you really use the camera other than for a snapshot?

The ease of use for dual sim calling / receiving makes this phone stand-out.
Other dual sims have complicated menus to get you to dial from whichever sim you want to use, with this phone, one touch to switch sims and you then use as if a single sim.
Both sims being active all times, is great once you've set up unique ring tones for each line, so you can simply change the way you answer depending on who's calling.
Like other reviewers I have two ringtones, and two wallpapers, so I know at a glance which sim I am on.

As regards other features - it makes and receives calls on two sims very easily, it has bluetooth so can be used almost hands free and looks ok - what else should a phone do?

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and working ok, 7 Nov 2011
As I am using mobile phone only for phone calls and texts I was looking for something not to expensive but reliable. And this actually is it. Good price, both cards work properly, long lasting battery. Buttons are looking a little small but to my surprise are easy to operate. Overall happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent unlocked, dual SIM, value-priced, blackberry-type cell phone, 24 Feb 2012
Mercury10000 (Haarlem, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
For the price, this phone is hard to beat. It is a two SIM (DUO) unlocked quad band (850/900/1800/1900) blackberry-type keyboard phone, which means you should be able to use two full sized SIM cards from all standard GSM countries worldwide simultaneously. The phone will automatically switch to the SIM with the incoming call and you can manually select the SIM you wish to use for each outgoing call. You can turn off one of the SIMs, through the menu, if you wish, when you don't want to receive roaming calls in a particular country. I have used the phone with two different carriers, each from different countries and the phone worked fine for phone calls and SMS messaging.

Although the phone is advertised to work with Gmail with an included app, I found the Gmail app timed out when trying to pull Gmail emails and so did not work as advertised, which is true for the gmail applications with many Samsung phones with a Gmail app (Google it). It is not a smartphone and does not have a touch-screen. You can access the internet through WAP. The phone does have Facebook, Twitter, MSN Messenger and other IM applications, but I have not tried those apps yet.

The phone has a wide range of features providing extreme value for the price including: a camera, MP3 player, bluetooth, micro-USB port, earphone jack, and micro-SD slot. All work as advertised. You can set each SIM to its own ringtone, wallpaper, and theme to make it easier to identify the origin of incoming calls by SIM. The phone will merge the address books of both SIMs, if desired.

For the price the limitations are more than reasonable: no 3G, no WiFi, micro-SD limited to 8GB, camera quality only fair (VGA). Call quality is very good, if not iPhone clarity, but more than adequate and easy to hear and be heard. The phone has a UK keyboard and UK plug charger (utilizing the mini-USB port).

The phone comes packed in a small cardboard box containing just the phone, the battery, and a very brief product manual on a large folded sheet of paper. The manual is the main limitation. The sheet containing the manual is very weak and incomplete -- many features are not discussed at all or discussed incompletely. You more or less need to go through each individual menu completely to learn the full range of features and what can be done with the phone.

Some of the menus don't fully cover the phone's functions, so you need to check around to find what you may need. For example, to permanently assign a bluetooth headset to the phone, so it doesn't keep asking you to allow a bluetooth connection each time you turn on your headset, you need to go not to the bluetooth menu, but rather to the applications menu and then select Bluetooth and then Assign. Not user friendly at all, but at least the function is available. This product is clearly a budget phone, but with many nice features, if you want to make the effort to fully master and utilize its capabilities.

The phone does allow you to upload and assign picture files of you callers to the phone, which is nice, using the micro-USB cable (you need to purchase this cable separately). Languages available are English, French, German, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, Turkish, Polish and Irish for display menus. For some reason the phone does not let you synchronize it to carrier time; you can only set the phone time manually. There is software on the Samsung site called KIES, which is suppose to allow file synchronization and updates, but I could not get this software to work with the phone. However, this software is not needed to load picture or ringtone files -- you just need the micro-USB cable. I bought the Belkin micro USB cable Belkin 1.8m Hi-Speed 2.0 Micro, USB Cable USB A to Micro B, which works fine.

The keyboard is easy to use (keys are small, obviously, to fit an alpha keyboard, on a handheld phone). The phone looks very much like a blackberry. However, the phone is entirely snap together plastic, so dropping it on a hard floor would definitely not be a good idea, if you want the phone to last a long time. I would strongly suggest getting a good form fitting leather phone case at the same time you buy the phone. I found the Samsung Universal case for under £4.00 Samsung Universal Vertical Mobile Phone Leather Case as the best value available at the time of my purchase. This case works well with this phone and comes complete with a nice interior fabric lining to prevent scratches and a tough leather exterior with pull strap. The phone fits *extremely* snugly in this case to start, and as you break the case in, the phone fits well and is very well protected from drops and dirt.

All in all an excellent cell phone for the price, especially if you want to use two SIMs with a reasonable range of features. The Samsung e2222 offers really good value and is a strong performer in the economy phone class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little phone, 23 Jan 2012
Bought this for occasional use on pay as you go and I'm mightily impressed. My old phone was a nokia dating from ~2000 or so..., :-) Only used single sim and for calls and a couple of texts, but find the keyboard easy to use (albeit a bit small for my hands), the screen bright and clear and the reception excellent even in areas were signal is dodgy.

I can't really think of a downside.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone if you are studying in a foreign country, 31 Oct 2011
Luke Fletcher "LuFletch" (Luxembourg) - See all my reviews
If you are someone looking for a phone with dual sim capabilities, this could be the one for you!

Pros:
- Very decent battery, lasts about 5-6 days
- You don't have to carry separate phones for 2 simcards
- The phone is very light
- you can assign different ringtones to each sim card
- it has most of the basic functions that a phone needs

Cons:
- Camera quality is virtually non-existent
- feels slightly cheap, I've dropped it on the floor and it instantly went to pieces

There are a few other dual sim capable phones out there, most of them made by samsung. One of them is the B5722, a touchscreen that might appeal to some people. All in all I am very pleased with the phone, does exactly what it says on the box for a fair price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dual sim flexibility, 12 Feb 2012
D S (Midlands) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is a great little phone. Battery life is excellent and it's very straight forward to use. It's quite nice looking too.

You can easily access text messages from both sims in one place, but can choose which sim to use to make calls or messages at the touch of a dedicated button. You can have a different wallpaper for each sim, so you know which one you are using at a glance. It's like having two phones in one.

Ring tones can be personalised for callers and you can assign neat little thumbnail pictures to go with each.

Using a mini sd card allows you to store your important pictures and data straight onto removable media with easy setting of options through the menu/
I needed a dual sim phone because there's poor reception at my home address of a network that gives me free calls from my home phone - I used to have to carry two phones around.

The camera isn't anything special, but I didn't buy it to take pictures with. It would be adequate to record incidents for example, but not for photo album snaps.

At first I was a bit alarmed that the number buttons are so small and I wondered if I would be able to see them. I do need to put my reading glasses on before dialling a number from scratch.

Texting is simple with the QWERTY keypad, although I did need to turn off a rather unhelpful predictive text option that seemed to have a mind of its own. Predictive text is great if you are using a number keypad, but a full QWERTY one just doesn't need the hassle in my opinion.

I often am pleasantly surprised at how much charge is left in the battery - it charges quickly too.

All round, I do like this phone and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a nice, basic dual sim phone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Texto E2222, 19 Dec 2011
I'm really pleased with most things on this mobile phone, the dual sim works like a dream and the phone itself is really easy to use. I bought a data cable but can't get it to work as I appear to need a driver for the phone, which I can't find, so I can't use it yet and read data from my phone on my PC. I have connected to the internet, but not with a lot of the applications, but I'm sure this is down to my own ignorance and I just haven't been able to find out how to do most of the internet related stuff yet. I transferred some tunes via Bluetooth and they are on the phone, but I can't work out how to use them as ringtones as they haven't landed with the other ringtones, but are separate as music. I've searched the web to try and find out solutions to the things I want to do, but without success. None of these problems are down to the actual phone though, and I am really pleased with it. If anyone knows where to find a driver so that I can connect the phone to my PC I'd be grateful to know, plus using transferred ringtones.
APRIL 2012
I've had this phone a few months now and am so pleased with it, I downloaded Samsung Kies onto my PC so now I can put music etc onto my phone direct from my PC. I can also set the ringtones from my Music folder by accessing the tune and choosing from the 3 options, so I can now have a different tune for each of my contacts.
I have a different photo set for each sim card and a different colour so I always know which sim card I am using, and it switches between the two effortlessly.
I have accessed the internet now, Google, my emails - Gmail and Yahoo, Facebook and Amazon, which are about all I use really.
For the price this is a brilliant phone and I am extremely pleased with it. I haven't really found any down sides to it, apart from having to have a black phone, but that's very minor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost looks like a blackberry, 15 Jan 2012
Just wanted an up to date phone rather than renew my contract so this sim only phone was just the ticket.I don't really go in for social networking or surfing the net on my phone, just texting and phone calls, so this was ideal in relation to the price. I like that it looks like a blackberry, but I can't justify the price of a blackberry I don't need something that is all singing and dancing. This does the job.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very nice phone, 1 Jan 2012
A. Matharu (UK) - See all my reviews
I was best pleased when I received the handset, I can add the following comments:

- Feels like a blackberry;
- Receive phone calls on each line as each simcard is active;
- Making use of any simcard is done easily by a dedicated button;
- Music player is excellent including the various DSP effects;
- Loud speaker plays at maximum with no ripples;
- Display is crisp;
- You can get message alerts to be repetitive for SMS messages received;
- Block SMS or calls function;
- Good battery life;
- Unlocked phone;
- Need to buy your own memory card;
- Need to buy your own USB data cable;
- It comes with pre-installed applications: MSN Messenger, GTalk, Yahoo Messenger and Facebook;
- Camera is basic;
- You can record radio programs;

On the whole the phone is priced correctly and I wish there would be available accessories.