4.0 out of 5 stars Practical & Plain Speaking, 6 Feb. 2013
S. Arnold (Bournemouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Refreshingly Simple Finance for Small Business: A straight-talking guide to finance and accounting (Business Bitesize) (Kindle Edition)
Shortly after I retired I decided to turn my videoing hobby into a small business run from home. I wish I'd had this book when I started, as it gives practical, easy to understand advice for this kind of business as well as slightly larger ones. The only downside I found was that the section on VAT, which I wasn't interested in, occupied too large a section. Definitely recommended, especially at the Kindle price.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great book!, 15 Aug. 2011
H. M. Williams (Yelverton, Devon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a book that I wish I had written myself. It is a really great guide to finance for small business, written in a jolly style which will make it really accessible for the hard-pressed businessperson.

It is full of anecdotes that hit the right button.

I love the fact that when, Emily Coltman gives advice, she always says "On the one hand this..., while on the other, that...".

And in addition, she produces very apt case studies.

In short it does exactly what it says on the cover and Emily Coltman should be congratulated on writing a really useful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic little book!, 10 Jun. 2014
A fantastic little book!
The one thing holding me back from starting a little home based business was not knowing how the financial side works. This book explains it all in a nutshell. I now understand the basics of Tax, VAT, and how it all (financially) needs to work.
Most business/accounting books are boring (I am a creative person), this one is great, I read it, made my notes and understood it all within an afternoon.
Would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful plain English advice, 6 Oct. 2014
I have just started a new business and the plain English in this book makes me feel a lot more relaxed about the dreaded numbers. It has explained to me why being a Sole Trader rather than a limited company is the more practical option even though there can be "tax savings". Freeagent is plugged quite a bit in the book, it is a great way to manage my business as a freelancer though.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it very informative., 17 Mar. 2014
Simple to understand, even for someone who don't know about finance. I loved the way it was laid out. Great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent information, 6 Jan. 2015
This book is short enough to read in 2 or 3 hours but tells you almost everything you need to know to start a small business as a sole trader and also covers VAT for when your business gets a bit bigger.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really helpful, 6 Oct. 2014
Really helpful - helped me get a lot of things straight in my head. I know zero about finance, so starting up has been a bit of a headache - wish I'd found this earlier!

5.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward and helpful, 5 Oct. 2014
Really helpful and straightforward guide to finance for small business. I have recommended it to my students