4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and amusing read
Published on 22 Oct 2006 by H. Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars Pointless Babylon?
Published on 14 Sep 2006 by Dr. J. S. E. Sullivan-lyons

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and amusing read, 22 Oct 2006
H. Jones "madpixie" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fashion Babylon (Hardcover)
Despite working in various fashion related circles in various jobs over the years, I had no idea of half the stuff that this book digs up (yes call me stupid, I like to think of it as seeing the glass as half full too much :P). Couldn't put this down due to the witty writing style (much like the other Babylons I've read), although the ending was a little frustrating - what happens next?! Was it all a wonderful success, does the lead remember to draw backs next season, does she get picked up by the big fash house?

Despite the ending I enjoyed this a lot and learnt a hell of a lot about the fashion world that I see so many girls getting light headed about - they should read this and realise just what a lot of old tosh the entire industry is and that paying several hundred pounds for a label piece of clothing is generally not worth it - especially when someone gets paid to sit around and draw pretty pictures all day and thats it! (I know we're meant to like the lead but I really disliked her intensely as she seems to believe she has it hard - go get a proper job love and then you can moan.)

Overall though I'd recommend this whether you want a light-hearted read, an interesting expose into the fash world or just something to take away your thoughts of life before bed time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Calling all fashionistas!, 1 Jan 2009
This review is from: Fashion Babylon (Paperback)
I was expecting more of an expose with this book but I found there to be too many cliches within the covers such as the models who don't eat, and the drugs... nothing too surprising there, so.... but I did enjoy the hierarchy of the fashion shows and who gets to sit where depending on their importance! This novel would also make me think twice about spending a fortune on 'designer' clothes from high end boutiques. The main character, a fashion designer who has dropped from Hot to Not in just one season is anything but loveable but nevertheless, she is highly amusing and although there isn't much of a storyline here, this book is a must read for anybody involved in the fashion business or anybody thinking of entering this fickle world and all the nonsense that goes with it. I found it easy to read and the book has interesting facts about the fashion business interwoven into the story if you can just try and ignore the obvious cliches that unfortunately pop up too often. This is my second book by this author and I'd definitely try one of her other ones as she's a witty, informed writer. If you're interested in fashion at all, pick it up - you won't be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fashion up Close and Personal, 12 Nov 2006
This review is from: Fashion Babylon (Hardcover)
I really, really, really enjoyed this book and am glad I read it and finished it within 24 hours. I heard Imelda talking about her book on a London radio show and was gently intrigued. Then I watched 'The Devil wears Prada' and knew that I had to read this book to get the real deal on the fashion industry.

My dreams of becoming the first black male supermodel from London have been taken off the shelf, locked up in a safe, and the key thrown away. Whilst this book is really funny, there are things in this book that just make you u shake your head with amazement. What the heck is a model doing with two sexy toys inside them and a pair of handcuffs? That aint fashion- that is WRONG!! Lol!! It was interesting to read about the mark ups, cabbage, knock-offs, model hierarchy, backstage drama, and fashion parties. Whilst on one hand you feel sorry for the designers and all the hard work they put in, all of it in a razor edge of whether or not the industry will love it. On the other hand you read about the hotel suites, money spent wining and dining models and editors, and your sympathy for them starts to wane.

This is a good book for those who want to know what it is like behind the scenes and how much time and effort goes in to creating a line for a show. If you enjoy anything about fashion then make sure you read this. It makes me feel really sorry for the thousands of people entering those supermodel shows, because if this is what it is really like, they'd take a 9-5 job any day. Good read!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fashion Babylon!!!, 12 Dec 2006
This review is from: Fashion Babylon (Hardcover)
This book is fantastic! I have read both hotel babylon and air babylon and totally love the honesty in the writing and how the whole story is told, dirt and all. I am a fashion design student and when I spotted this book I was so excited! It has lived up to expectation. It both teaches snippets of the trade and gives an insight into the lifestyle... 10/10... Vicki

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Laugh, 2 Oct 2006
This review is from: Fashion Babylon (Hardcover)
Ok so it's no Dickens or Hardy. This book is light, easy reading that brings a smile to the face and some moments of out-loud laughter. It's not the best book I've ever read but then I didn't expect it to be. It doesn't try to hard and certainly doesn't take itself too seriously, which for me is a winning formula.

I'm just becoming more interested in fashion as I grow up (Im in my late teens) and this book is a gentle introduction into the crazy, non-stop world of a fashion designer, and despite some of the more goary details about models' underwear and so on, it has actually prompted me to look for a career in fashion.

So, the long and short of it is, if you're interested in fashion, looking for an easy holiday read or just a bit of a laugh, then this is the book for you. If you're looking for hardcore literature or a deep and meaningful book, then it's needless to say don't bother!

For what it is, I'd give it 5*s, but for an all round book it misses a little something.

It does exactly what it says on the tin.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pointless Babylon?, 14 Sep 2006
Dr. J. S. E. Sullivan-lyons "Dr. Jo" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fashion Babylon (Hardcover)
This book definately is not as good as the previous Babylons. The problem I think is that we already know so much about the fashion industry, that there wasn't a single thing in this book that we don't already know. For example, lots of people in the fashion industry take cocaine, they drink champagne, clothes are hugely marked up compared to the cost to make, models do not eat anything, Naomi Campbell is officially a pain in the neck, and young models are exploited. This book is very readable and mildly entertaining, so if you are recovering from the flu or want an easy read on holiday it is ideal. However, don't buy it expecting any mind blowing revelations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, 28 Sep 2006
Kayleigh Dunn (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fashion Babylon (Hardcover)
Having not had time to sit an read a book in years, I'm so glad I made an exception for this one - I could not put it down! A season in the life of a London Womenswear designer was a gripping read, full of gossip and rumours about designers, models, fashion editors and buyers. I'm a fashion design student myself, so there were handy bits of business info woven into to the story too.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE IT, 19 Mar 2009
Alison Harris "rosieloves" (london, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fashion Babylon (Paperback)
I'm at college doing fashion, a friend in my class lent me the book. I LOVED IT! I couldn't put it down, the rest of our class has since read it and all enjoyed it.
I felt it had great facts about the industry and is a must read for all fashion students!
I'm looking for a similar book could anyone recomend any?

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read, 21 Feb 2007
This review is from: Fashion Babylon (Hardcover)
Fashion Babylon is great for those times when you yearn for a quick, easy read.

I read this cover to cover in a day, due being in bed with 'flu and it cheered me up with several laugh out loud moments. I particularly enjoyed the gossipy snippets all, according to the flyleaf, completely true.

Don't expect Tolstoy and you won't be disappointed. A fluffy, funny window on the fash pack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Insights!, 1 Jan 2008
This review is from: Fashion Babylon (Hardcover)
Fashion Babylon does well at aiming to show the behind-the-scenes of the fashion world, which is done in a story form. It revolves around the fast-paced lives of an independent fashion designer and her business partner, who races for their collections for 2 seasons... and also their dreams & hopes of becoming big someday.

Along the way they in 6 months of their lives, they encounter the many different players in the industry - fellow independent designers, the big labels, models, celebrities and up to show & shoot crews. All these encounters gives insights on how the industry work - the good and the bad. And the very challenges the designers & models face to succeed. The insights on the different shows in London, New York and Milan is an added bonus, showing the differences of industry in the 3 fashion cities.

This light & easy-to-read book amakes an interesting read for those who want to know more of the fashion industry - for career/ business or just the fashion enthusiasts who want to know how the industry works.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›