Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on 8 August 2011
Phone Hacking: How the Guardian broke the story (Guardian Shorts)
Unless you have been a long term reader of the Guardian it is possible that the early stages of this scandal may have passed you by - I certainly missed them, or to be more accurate, I was unaware of just how serious the intrusions of the News International journalists actually were. It took the revelations concerning Milly Dowler's phone to change that for me and, I imagine, for many like me. That made me really sit up and take notice. It also made me want to sort out in my own mind exactly how the whole story had developed since it was first reported by the Guardian in 2007. This book reprints the Guardian articles as they appeared in the newspaper with no "hindsight" editorial changes as far as I can tell. Each section begins with a summary of the events reported upon and these summaries are an illuminating read in their own right. The articles run from January 2007 to July 2011 and the book finishes with a reprint of Guardian editor Alan Rusbridger's article "How we broke the Murdoch scandal" which appeared in the 17th July 2011 issue of Newsweek. Having read this volume I now feel that I have a better grip on the events that have unfolded so far and feel better equipped to follow those to come, and there will certainly will be more to come!
on 1 March 2012
This was published over 6 months ago, so it is pretty out of date now - but it demonstrates the riveting evolution of this scandal, and how the UK government had to set up a full public enquiry in response. Recommended.
on 14 March 2014
Once again the Guardian delivers the real facts and they attracted the insults,denials and other forms of aggression from the people who are now standing trial for the exact wrong doings that they accused the Guardian of inventing.Well done THE GUARDIAN and keep up the standard others follow.
on 26 December 2012
Essentially all the main published guardian newspaper reports on hacking with an introduction and time timelines. Useful and informative story.