Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£9.61+ £1.26 shipping

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 17 October 2010
Album of the year for me no question. Whilst I can admire Arcade fire and Interpol (can't help associating the three I'm afraid) I don't love their new albums like I love this one. Like a tongue tied teenager trying to pen a love letter I can't fully express how much I love it though. There are times where the album sounds a bit like the Killers, some times a bit Edwyn Collins, sometimes like a hyped up Johnny cash, but mostly this album is solid Walkmen. Truly original, instantly recognisable, sadly so far undervalued. It is worth getting this "double" CD for the 4 extra tracks for about a pound more than the single version. Catch them in the UK next month with the Black Keys - a bill made in heaven.
on 18 September 2013
I only got into the Walkmen recently but I got into them in a big way. I started with their latest album, Heaven, and worked my way backwards. Now I have You and Me, Bows and Arrows and this one, Lisbon (definitely worth getting the deluxe edition BTW). Its hard to say which is my favourite, but without a doubt my favourite Walkmen SONG is on this album. I'm talking about track no. 2, Angela Surf City. Boy oh boy oh boy, what a song! The Walkmen have this weird ability to create amazing tunes that will have you giddy with excitement, but they don't really do anything particularly different. They sound much like all of their other tracks, until you listen to them for the 7th or 8th time and they just CLICK. Another favourite is Stranded, with its awesome lazy tijuana brass backing. The third monster track is Torch Song, which perhaps best evokes the band's fondness for the music of yesteryear, with its doo-wop back-up vocals and generally swinging, finger-popping 50s feel. With this song, they remind me strongly of Shudder To Think, another neglected East Coast treasure, now sadly defunct.

They are one of the slyest, most cunning bands around. Suffice to say, if you like one of the records I have mentioned you will like them ALL. All of the elements are in place. The unique vocal stylings of lead singer Hamilton Leithauser (now there's a rock and roll name for ya!), the brilliant guitar noodlings of Paul Maroon and that absolutely crackerjack rhythm section of Peter Bauer and Matt Barrick. This is just super smart music. I would say its genius. Just listening to it will make you smarter. Try it and see if it doesnt!
on 2 December 2012
Enjoy the faster more 'rockier' tracks,but too many slow ones for me,still the voice is fantastic,so will be listening several times in an attempt to like the slower ones,4 track 2nd disc dissapointing as all the same mid-tempo pace,very little to choose between them in terms of a tune.
on 30 November 2010
The guys in The Walkmen were previously in Jonathan Fire*Eater, a cult-ish indie NY band predating both The Strokes and The (early) Kings Of Leon in the rock revival we experienced in the (early) noughties. And you can find some of The (early) Strokes and The (early) Kings Of Leon in this record. Except it doesn't rock much, has a sour guitar sound that I don't like and a singing voice I don't like either. However, this a more than capable band and a rather crafty record and I suppose other ears would give them more stars than I do. I'll keep 4 songs (1 - 'Juveniles', probably the best track of the whole set -, 5, 8 and 9) and burn a CD with them before bringing the album to the local record & tape exchange, just like I did with the only Jonathan Fire*Eater LP I bought at the end of the 1990s.