5.0 out of 5 stars ICEHOUSE ON TOP FORM.
Published on 23 Dec 2011 by chuffe

3.0 out of 5 stars Icehouse White Heat 30 Hits
great band for the 80's music. i love their music since in the beginning. passing by little girl and no promises
Published 8 months ago by luke

5.0 out of 5 stars ICEHOUSE ON TOP FORM., 23 Dec 2011
This review is from: White Heat: 30 Hits (2cd+dvd) (Audio CD)
Bought a video of Icehouse in concert performed in Melbourne in 1980,and have waited 31 years for a dvd to come out,so as I can watch on my 32" tv,and what can I say,really worth the wait,absolutly brilliant,bought the package on Amazon Markeplace for 16.51,what a bargain,although even at Amazons price of 35.53 would still be worth it to me,plus you get the added 2 cds,although in the Amazon description it only says 1 cd,and no mention of the dvd,if they were would no doubt sell more copies,took 10 days to come from New Zealand,and arrived 23rd december,made my Xmas!!

5.0 out of 5 stars White Hot Icehouse Hits and Videos., 26 Jan 2012
This review is from: White Heat: 30 Hits (2cd+dvd) (Audio CD)
Whilst I agree that there appears to be a rather heavy handed approach taken to the remastering of the tracks contained on "Icehouse White Heat",let's remember we are talking about single/radio mixes.They were originally mixed and mastered,sometimes compressed to be a little punchier so as to sound ok being broadcast on radio. This collection is based on the single/radio versions which is where I believe some confusion as to the term remaster is applied. Keep in mind,for the most part,they are different versions to the mixes that were featured on their respective albums.In fact some of the tracks were so significantly remixed that they sound like different takes."Street Cafe","Baby,You're So Strange" and "Man of Colours" are just three examples.I actually like the new masters.I'm hearing detail in these tracks I've not heard before and believe me,I know this bands music well.
But let's not argue about whether the audio is up to scratch,I personally think it's awesome.The real juicy part of this collection is the dvd.
Thirty-three promo videos,some of which are alternate versions,here for your visual and aural delight.Everything from the edgy debut single (when they were known in Australia as Flowers)"Can't Help Myself",the classic "Great Southern Land",my personal favourite "Nothing Too Serious" up to the last single released from the Big Wheel album "Invisible People".Finishing off with a couple of rare Australian TV performances.
There has never been such an extensive collection of Icehouse videos released before this title and to have them all here on the one disc is incredible value(much cheaper here in Australia).In the words of our esteemed music guru Molly Meldrum,"do yourself a favour" and pick up a copy of White Heat.It's red hot!
Also recommended,the reissue of their classic debut album,"Icehouse (30th Anniversary ed)".
"Great Southern Land,In The Sleeping Sun.."

4.0 out of 5 stars great collection, 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: White Heat 30 Hits (Audio CD)
- excellent addition for collectors who already own their albums (with unreleased single&radio edits)
- DVD with collection of clips
- fair price for a 3-disc box-set

5.0 out of 5 stars Great old memories, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: White Heat 30 Hits (Audio CD)
This is songs I used to listen to when I was travelling around Australia, brilliant stuff and it still sounds great. My husband had never heard them and he really enjoys them too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic blast back to the 80's!, 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: White Heat 30 Hits (Audio CD)
Loved Icehouse back in the 80's, who can forget the classic "Hey Little Girl", this is packed full of songs that you have always sung along to and never realised it was them along with a brilliant DVD to see them in action. Well worth the money spent!

3.0 out of 5 stars Icehouse White Heat 30 Hits, 14 Aug 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars icehouse at their best, 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: White Heat: 30 Hits (2cd+dvd) (Audio CD)
every track brilliant, or perhaps i am biased. give it a listen to the very aussie earthly sounds, best australian band

4.0 out of 5 stars Icehouse Complete Singles, 6 Oct 2012
Son75 (Paris France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: White Heat: 30 Hits (2cd+dvd) (Audio CD)
I bought this album on a whim because I already have all their studio albums but just couldn't pass over the DVD containing all the clips. What's more, some songs here are slightly different from the original version because they were edited for the radio. The only album that doesn't have any song in this compilation is the 'Berlin Tapes' which contains only covers. This may explain that.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic songs, hideous "remastering"..., 12 Nov 2011
This review is from: White Heat: 30 Hits (2cd+dvd) (Audio CD)
Edited to add - there is a large portion of my tongue firmly in my cheek in the following review - I can summarise it very quickly - the remastering has changed the sound of the tracks massively, if that may worry you listen on Spotify first for free before shelling out (it's the perfect app for comparing original/remasters back to back).

Ichouse were the soundtrack to my mid/late 80's and produced, to me at any rate, some of the best songs about at that time. I played Man of Colours on tape (youngsters note: tape cassette - a kind of analogue removable memory cartridge that could store, oh say 20 odd songs*) to death whilst boyracering around Essex in my black Gordini Turbo in 1987. 1987. 24 years ago. Oh god. Here comes the depression. Youth. Hell just being slim! Anyways, all the tracks on Measure for Measure and Man of Colours represent poignant and happy memories for me. I think it was this Man of Colours I was listening to when I encountered another black Gordini Turbo on `my' patch and set out to prove that my car was indeed blacker than his until we got pulled by a plain clothes rozzer who, it turns out, wasn't too impressed with my overtaking technique (wrong side of the bollard on a zebra crossing). His opening words to me will be etched on my memory forever *ahem* "You must be some kind of c***!!!!" Essex coppers. Great stuff. Where were we? Yes, every song is like a little time capsule - you know how things just trip forgotten memories? It's all like that - well it is if you were into Icehouse at the time and for that, this compilation is truly marvelous.

Now the bad (and it is really bad in some cases) - the term "remaster" in this instance basically means every track has been run through additional compression and some pretty brutal limiting. Now to be fair, this can really benefit the rockier tracks which weren't pushed so hard when originally mastered in analogue days and so sound nicely "beefier" as a result . . . but there also appears to have been a relativey hefty amount of top end (8khz plus) added which makes extended listening at decent volume levels extremely uncomfortable. And it's the quiter tracks that have really suffered the most from this approach however - particularly Man of Colours title track, whose beautiful dynamics have all but gone. Squashed and pumping noticably it's like it's been aurally raped! Just compare the original 1987 master to this "remaster" - complete night and day. Can't help but be disappointed that such a great collection can be potentially ruined. So whoever remastered this should be forced to master to K20 for the rest of their lives - actually no, just ban them from remastering full stop. and cut their ears off. and force feed them to them. In fact if Iva OK'd this his ears must've already been chopped off!! (joking!) Yeah, OK but seriously - my advice is before you fork out a hefty amount to get this collection over from Australia - listen to the tracks on Spotify first and see whether you like the remastered sound.

Overall then - Songs/muscianship/memories = 5 stars , remastering = -1 star.

*no shuffle facility.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 19 Sep 2011
This review is from: White Heat: 30 Hits (Audio CD)
Icehouse to me were for years that one hit wonder Australian band who did that catchy song Crazy. I also had memories of a catchy song called Hey Little Girl but didn't know it was them. Looking up the Crazy video on youtube earlier this year, led me on to other songs that I had never heard and I couldn't believe how good they were. Iva Davies was I found out, the fulcrum, Mr Icehouse. His talent is enormous.

Listening to White Heat at times it seems like a few different bands because the style kept changing over the years and Iva Davies voice sounds different at different periods. There are thirty songs on two discs. I wouldn't say the first four songs on this sound like The Undertones. Its just what I think of. The simple yet brilliant angsty new wave thingy. No it doesn't sound like anybody else but its part of that genre. Can't help Myself is Australia's Teenage Kicks except its better. This was absolutely butchered on the dance remix album I got for want of nothing better at the time, so after listening to the proper version on you tube I was delighted I could get hold of it on a cd when White Heat came out. The intro to the song is fantastic with some kind of I don't know, keyboards? I just love the sound of this.

Its followed up by We Can Get Together. The dance remix version did its best to conceal what a brilliant song this it. The keyboard thing in the background reminds me of Kim Wilde's Kids in America but that came out in 1981 and this was on a 1980 Icehouse album I think. Walls is more of the same kind of angsty punkish tunefull. Icehouse is a kind of creepy effort that creeps up on you after a few listens. Two more fantastic songs.

I can't believe I had never heard Love in Motion before seeing the video on yt. It is one of the best pop songs ever. The soft keyboard thing all the way through is genius. Great Southern Land has a lovely keyboard intro and great verses showing off Iva Davies vocal range. Its an epic song- about Australia I understand. Street Café. How was this not an enormous worldwide hit? Especially with the video they made. You look at the garbage that sells by the bucketload these days. The keyboard intro combined with the lyric ` If there was no tomorrow, if there was just one more chance I'd take it again' is haunting. The powerful guitar that kicks in with the chorus is haunting. The oboe piece halfway through is even more haunting, especially with the images that accompany it on the video. I wouldn't say this is more sophisticated than Can't Help Myself because that was a very sophisticated song in its own way. But they're showing here that Icehouse want to keep moving forward.

And they changed the mood again with Don't Believe Anymore. Again, how did I never here this before. It is one of the best low tempo songs of the eighties with a haunting synthisiser background growling beneath the brilliant saxophone playing. Dusty Pages is uh, haunting. I've got to stop using that word but it is. Iva Davies voice sounds very different on this to any other song here I think apart from maybe Taking This Town which is a catchy upbeat number. I love Dusty Pages which seems to be about a man trying to keep a dying relationship going.

No Promises is a sort of epic ballad that works very well. Disc one ends with Mr Big which isn't quite as good as what went before and Disc two was always going to have its work cut out to follow all that up but it doesn't do a bad job at all, starting very strongly with Cross the Border and Crazy. Lots of stuff happining on Cross the Border, powerful vocals,clever vocal interchanges, East West Points to the Nation ( love that ), a powerful beat, nice guitar bit halfway through and Crazy has got lots of layers of pure brilliance such as the guitar hook, the diving synthisiser bit and you've got a ribbon of rainbows. Other favourites of mine here are Man of Colours a nice ballad, Jimmy Dean, a powerful sort of epic thingy, Touch the Fire, a good rock pop song and Nothing too Serious a very clever high tempo song, especially the bit at the end. Miss Divine and Anything is Possible have got guys singing along in the background to a catchy tune. The second cd kind of peters out with Big Wheel and Satellite which aren't bad but not great either and a female vocalist version of Love in Motion. Thirty songs, many of them brilliant. Great value.

ARRAY(0xaa294d08)

White Heat: 30 Hits (2cd+dvd)
White Heat: 30 Hits (2cd+dvd) by Icehouse (Audio CD - 2011)