5.0 out of 5 stars I just wanna hear some of that rock'n'roll music
Published on 4 Nov 2011 by Dangerous Dave

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Music but . . . .
Five CD double albums "The London American Story" 1957-1961 were ordered 18/04, with estimated delivery (to a UK address) on four, given as 25/04 to 26/04. These arrived in two packages - one from Discs4all, the other from Amazon UK on 23/04. The fifth (1957), which had had a warning "may require two extra days", arrived from Amazon EU on 25/04. All well within estimate...
Published 13 months ago by Bl In 11

5.0 out of 5 stars I just wanna hear some of that rock'n'roll music, 4 Nov 2011
Dangerous Dave (Berkhamsted, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The London American Story 1957 (Audio CD)
I've made some general remarks about this series already - please see my review of London American Story 1956. I took a look at the next year and declared "1957, as represented on the One Day set was an absolute stormer combining a great combination of familiar but great, plus less familiar but also great." It looked so good I had to take a longer look which more than confirms initial impressions.

For a start, One Day haven't half book ended it well with fantastic openers and closers for each of the discs. Big Joe Turner gets proceedings underway with one of his best shouted shuffles "Lipstick, Powder and Paint". Then Lloyd Price closes the disc with "Just Because", a great slow blues ballad in what would much later become known as swamp pop style. His erstwhile valet and chauffeur Larry Williams also released a version which was again excellent. Then the Everly's first single "Bye Bye Love" kicks off Disc number two - it may have been their first but it remains their most memorable, talk about a kick start to country rock! And for the final closer we get Chuck "Crazylegs" Berry, duckwalking across the stage and wailing that he wants some rock'n'roll music....

"Any old way you choose it.
It's gotta backbeat, you can't lose it,
any old time you use it.
It's gotta be rock'n'roll music, if you wanna dance with me."

In between we get the manic "Glad all Over" and "Your True Love" from good ole Carl Perkins. Alan Freed used to play the latter a lot on AFN. This was also about the time that there was a ballad single out from a film called "True Love" (Bing Crosby and someone else). A tad confusing. Then a month or so later Freed went on to play "Whole lotta shaking" from some new guy who really murdered the piano keys, what a record! And I think I'd forgotten that "Great Balls of Fire" was the same year. And then there's Little Richard in his pomp, Haley on one of his better cuts, Larry Williams - not his greatest track but anything from him is good, more Berries including that Beethoven one, Eddie Cochran just starting his brief career plus the now rather obscure and I have to say, dated but charmingly so, Charlie Gracie.

But the greatest strength of this set is its doowop. I'm not really the greatest fan but the stuff here is enough to convince anyone. There are classics and near classics all the way through. Let me start with the original cut of "Little Darlin'" from the Gladiola's fronted by Maurice Williams (famed for "Stay"). This one should warm the cockles of anyone's heart. On that marvellous multi-coloured Excello label. And it's one we never get to hear. Instead we get the cynically planned and executed near parody cover by the Diamonds. Then there's the Moonglows with "I knew from the start". Youtube has a great clip of the band from the movie, "Rock, Rock, Rock" introduced by the aforementioned Alan Freed. It's that chord sequence which has been used a million and one times, and those really hammered piano triplets, "... you were the one for me". And there's a Youtube comment "Malcolm X on guitar?". Then there's the Del Vikings with "Come go with me" which opens with so many "dum, dum's" you almost forget that some real words are actually coming. And that screech on the final line! And "go, go's" on the sax break. Can anyone resist this one? And there's the Silhouettes - those guys had ties like my band - but ours were clip on and never stayed on! But there's still more, The Five Satins, the Tune Weavers, the Dubs, the near legendary Billy Ward and his Dominos who had the training ground for lead tenors like Clyde McPhatter and Jackie Wilson.

And in between there are still other tracks, often more obscure, but with plenty of interest. The near rockabilly, "Rakin' and Scrapin'" from Dean Beard, Nappy Brown's "Little by Little" which I hadn't heard before, the stone classic extremely early soul of Sam Cooke's "You send me", Dale Hawkins (and James Burton") on "Susie Q", a rare white rock offering from Chess, a great black rockabilly cover of "Party Doll" from Roy Brown. There's some teen idol stuff here from Tab Hunter and Andy Williams (!?!?) several years earlier than the Fabians and Avalons - it`s pleasant period music if hardly classic. And there's some tough R&B from LaVern Baker and there's Fats, I almost forgot him. And there's "I walk the line" from you know who. And there's a strange item from a guy called Ken Copeland - have a look at the comments on Youtube. And there's probably something else I've forgotten.

Value? You bet. Utterly fantastic.

And who was it who rhymed "across the tracks" with "wailin' sax"? First ever poet in rock'n'roll.

5.0 out of 5 stars Which To Choose, 3 Feb 2012
This review is from: The London American Story 1957 (Audio CD)
If you're looking for a London American collection for 1957 you've got two choices, this and Ace's The London American Label ~ 1957. I've just received and reviewed the Ace collection so I gave this another play to compare the two. I should say right off that I found the Ace collection disappointing, there are too many awful tracks which should have stayed in the vaults. This, however, is a different proposition. With 50 tracks it's a representative sample of the 176 tunes issued by London American that year. Apart from the well known artists Eddie Cochran, Fats Domino, Everly Brothers, Sam Cooke etc. there are plenty of others worth a listen. Everyone needs some Lavern Baker, Lloyd Price and Larry Williams in their collection and even In The Aisle by The Five Satins deserves it's place. It Would have been nice to get Ruth Brown's version of Lucky Lips but all in all there's much to be happy about and not a lot to complain about.

So which is best. With Ace you get an excellent booklet and a number of tracks you could live without. Here you've got almost twice as many tracks at a bargain price. If you've got the money get them both but as all the better cuts on Ace are here you won't be missing much if you only buy this. One last thing Ace Records are rightly praised for their sound but on my system I prefer this, it seems a bit more vivid somehow.

5.0 out of 5 stars London American Story 1957, 28 Sep 2011
R. Shaw "Ronboy" (Leicester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The London American Story 1957 (Audio CD)
50 great tracks from 1957 including the hard to find "Stardust" by Billy Ward & The Dominoes. Other great tracks included are "Little by little"-Nappy Brown, a cover version of "Lucky lips" by Gail Storm and the original version of "Little darling" by The Gladiolas. Most tracks will be found on any 50's compilation but still a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I knew from the start., 28 April 2013
This review is from: The London American Story 1957 (Audio CD)
When I bought my first single with my own money at the age of 10 ( Everly brothers- 'Til I Kissed You) I knew something had changed my life for the better. So buying these collections from Amazon at a steal was a no brainer .Where to start? personal faves on disc 1 are Twenty Flight Rock...Roll Over Beethoven..Blue Monday... The Girl Can't Help It..I'm Walkin'... Sittin' On The Balcony...You Can't Catch Me... Walk The Line... to get tracks by Lloyd Price,Del Vikings,Big Joe Turner too is brilliant. and on to disc 2 with Bye Bye Love...Searchin' ... Short Fat Fanny... Susie Q... Sam Cooke's-You Send Me, Bill Justis,the wonderful Charlie Gracie,Jerry Lee, Coasters,Chuck Berry,it just goes to show how much I'd already missed ... I caught up pretty fast thankfully.like a great wine 1957 vintage was a very good year... a very good year indeed. the music... you can't go wrong ,a superb value package. An age of innocence and honesty, no auto tune here. it really is more than a trip down Memory Lane.thanks to the Moonglows for the inspiration for my title.;-) Pure STARDUST.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Canine's Cajones, 27 Jan 2012
It really is quite amazing how much we relied on the London label for our American hits, I didn't quite realise at the time just how many blue/black striped single covers I had in my collection. 1957 brings us huge names in rock n roll but it's the one's that you haven't quite heard of or just remember when you see the name in front of you. It really is like being reaquainted with an old friend. The biggies are there, Chuck, Eddie, Fats etc. but for everyone of them is a Ken Copeland, Dean Beard and Billy Ward. We now know where The Caravelles got their inspiration from with 'Gonna get Along without you Now' and any album that has The Rays' version of Silhouettes is worth checking out. Truly American Graffiti all the way through - a very good addition to your own 50's collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars An improvement, 10 Nov 2011
Aj Watson (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The London American Story 1957 (Audio CD)
Today I was given the opportunity to test drive this volume in One Day's 'LA Story' series. Thankfully it's a big improvement on their 1958 disaster in the series. A good selection of songs for this one, although it's not perfect - Why did they use a 1960s remake of Tab Hunter's 'Young Love'?? (It's taken at a faster tempo than the 1957 hit version for Dot and a slightly different arrangement) - The really crazy thing here is One Day have included his follow-up hit 'Ninety Nine Ways' on the same disc (which he also remade in the 60s), yet this one is the hit version - Go figure! Aside from some silly spelling errors - it's Gale (Storm) not GAIL, and Dean Beard's song is 'Rakin And Scrapin' (not SRAPIN'), this comp shows at least this company are starting to get their act together.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 8 July 2014
very good

5.0 out of 5 stars well done london label, 16 Nov 2013
This review is from: The London American Story 1957 (Audio CD)
so wonderfull to find such music delighted with this amazing purchasesuch good entertainment for music lovers and remberance of A PAST EARA THANKS.

5.0 out of 5 stars great fifties memories, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: The London American Story 1957 (Audio CD)
As in previous reviews of this series of compilations of the original London American recordings of this era.I have no hesitation in recommending fans of this music to buy this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars nostalgia, 13 July 2013
Mr R P Coulson (WALLASEY, MERSEYSIDE, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The London American Story 1957 (Audio CD)
this is the one I got that got me hooked on c.d's in this series, there are some real gems included here. VALUE.

The London American Story 1957
The London American Story 1957 by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2011)