4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but with a couple oddities, 23 Oct. 2012
J. Iverson (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tell Me What'd I Say: The Atlantic Story 1955-1960 (Audio CD)
As the other reviews indicate, this is a good cheap set of early Atlantic sides. I just wanted to note a couple curious details for the picky out there. A couple tracks aren't the actual Atlantic versions, but earlier pre-Atlantic recordings of the tracks (which, for someone who has the more common Atlantic 'hit' versions, this is actually a tiny bonus). The version of Stick McGhee's "Drinkin' Wine Spo-Dee-O-Dee" is the version he recorded for Harlem Records in 1947 and T-Bone Walker's "T-Bone Shuffle" is the version he recorded for Black & White records in 1949.

5.0 out of 5 stars Atlantic fans will enjoy this 50 track set..., 14 Sept. 2011
C. FULLER (Brixham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This new 50 track compilation with recordings dating from 1955 to 1960 brings together so many known artists such as Big Joe Turner; LaVern Baker; Ray Charles; The Drifters; Ruth Brown; The Coasters and Choker Campbell. Nigel Cross has penned the liner notes and this is an attractively packaged set with photographs of some of the stars and a retro lining too. The sound quality is great and here you will hera aoorox 130 minutes of the Atlantic Records sound. Excellent value too. Look out for other compilations on both One Day Music and Not Now Music. Live the life live the music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 19 July 2013
Brilliant compilation of early sides from Atlantic. Excellent sound quality. This CD would suit all those who love the early days of rock, soul and pop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tell Me What'd I Say- The Atlantic Story 1955-1960, 29 Jun. 2013
I. Green - See all my reviews
I like this product because it's a mixture of good music as it was back in the 50/60s and a good purchase. Very good listening and enjoyable fun time music to share with friends/family young and old of the era and genera.
this is why I like it.

4.0 out of 5 stars No Filler here !, 5 May 2013
Another superb compilation from One Day Music.
Once again they have mixed well known tracks with more obscure ones that you may have not heard before.
If you believe this would inevitably lead to one skipping the more obscure tracks, rest assured all the songs have been carefully selected and are all well worth listening to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of the records that made Atlantic great, 17 Mar. 2015
Dangerous Dave (Berkhamsted, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Several thoughts occurred to me after my first run through this set:

1. Thank heaven for covers! I first came across three out of the first four tracks via (usually reviled) cover versions - "Leave my woman alone" from the Everly's, "Money Honey" from Elvis (of course) and "Honey Hush" from a certain Mr Burnette. The covers were all great. The originals are all great - in the case of the Drifters, superb. Double bubble!

2. It struck me that One Day have been quite clever here. They haven't packed it with hits. There are other Atlantic collections that do that. They've shown more imagination and included plenty of rarely / never heard ones which pique the interest of the more informed buyer.

3. That said the big tracks here are worth the admission price by themselves. Absolute ground-breakers like "What'd I say", "There goes my baby", "Searchin'" and "Since I met you baby PLUS two New Orleans rumba classics from the legendary Professor Longhair, PLUS four stormers from the suitably named "Big" Joe Turner PLUS two from the inventor of electric blues guitar, T-Bone Walker.

4. Although the end date for this collection was 1960 there are more than hints of the soul to come from Atlantic: all four Charles tracks of course but also Clyde McPhatter's "A lover's question", Chuck Willis's "It's too late" (covered by Buddy Holly), and Ivory Joe's early country soul opus, "Empty Arms".

5. Elsewhere there's a shedload of R&B, doo woppy stuff and even a little rockabilly, all produced to a very high professional standard and with a warmth and sheer pizzazz you don't always get.

6. "Shuffle in the gravel" has to be another candidate for that list of best titles ever.

7. Can anyone seriously give this one less than five stars?

4.0 out of 5 stars Jewels from Atlantic vaults., 10 April 2014
Some rare gems are in this little set believe me! Chuck Willis "My Baby" and "Honey Hush" by Big Joe Turner being two examples. Atlantic was such a vital and important label that produced pure soul magic and classic raw R&B. highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain!, 31 Oct. 2013
50 classic tracks for a Fiver? OK I've already got a couple of these tracks but at this price who's complaining!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great 6yrs of R n R Rockabilly, 29 April 2013
Ian Bishop "123IDB" (Mumbannar Vic Australia) - See all my reviews
6yrs of the best, several other presenters said they heard it being played and enjoyed the way we put the program together

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Artists Great Songs., 27 Feb. 2013
What can i say. Another great blast from the past. A good mix of artists and songs from years ago.

Tell Me What'd I Say: The Atlantic Story 1955-1960
Tell Me What'd I Say: The Atlantic Story 1955-1960 by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2011)