on 28 June 2013
I still cant believe it can be so tiny (40 cm) and tall enough even for me. (I'm about 6/4-6/5)
It is brilliantly designed and even with the carry case fits in a backpack (if you don't or can't ((airplane)) want to carry separately)
Feels strong and sturdy enough for any camera lens combo.
The built in monopod is great when you can't use a tripod. (because of restrictions or lack of space)
Just leave the rest in your bag and voila you got long exposure support and no one can complain.
The ball head works fine and got 3 built in spirit levels.
You can move the camera in to any angle and tighten one locking knob.
But you also got another locking knob just for panning.
In case if you got the camera in right position and you just want to do 360 vid or make a panoramic pic.
You get an extra (shorter) center column for the monopod use i guess and to get the lowest position when the camera facing upwards. I don't think that I will use it because it is easier to make the monopod shorter (collapse one section) or turn the column upside down than to change the ball head on the center columns. But it's nice to have it as an option and fits in to the case.
You also got a few Allen keys coming with the tripod. So you can tighten or dismantle all the parts easily.
The locking system of the legs are fast and easy to use. Twist (open) and twist (locked).
That's one of the reasons why I chose this over the Manfrotto tripods.
legs got screw in rubber feet that can be changed to rubber feet with spike but those does not come with the kit.
All in all I could not be happier with this purchase.
Amazon as always made my day with the fast and trackable delivery.
If you want to invest in to a good tripod I definitely recommend it!
Don't buy cheap crap because you going to end up spending more and more and finally you going to buy the quality one anyway.
(and cheap ones not as cheap as the build quality of them)
on 12 May 2013
It is a good quality tripod. It seems to be idea for travelling. That`s the main reason I bought it for. My current Manfrotto 190 aluminium is a bit too big to take on holiday. I could not justify spending a lot more money for the carbon version of this (giottos) tripod. The price increase to the amount of weight saved does not seem attractive to me. I have played around with it, comparing it to my current tripod (Manfrotto) and I do not regret buying it.

I have tested it with this set up: Canon 7D + grip with 2 batteries, 24-105mm L F4 lens, flash gun with 4 AA rechargeable batteries. Legs extended to the max. I think if you are to use this tripod you will have to use a 2secs or 10 secs delay between pressing the shutter release and taking the pic, otherwise there is a chance that you might get a small shake of the camera. You probably will find yourself using the hook at the bottom of the central column or like me setting the camera for a delayed shutter release and pressing the tripod with one hand to make it more stable. This seems to work for me, that`s what I have been doing with Manfrotto. Giottos gets a little bit more stable when you do not extend the very bottom leg extensions.

The tripod has only two angles for setting the legs. One for normal photography and one for macro photography or if you want to set the tripod very closely to the ground. It would be nice if it had a middle setting so the legs could be spread slightly wider to get better stability but still maintaining the reasonable height of the tripod (Manfrottos 190 has more leg angles). You can regulate with the allen keys (supplied) the resistance of the legs. It looks like that if you open and close the legs a lot the nuts become less tight but not to the point when you could loose nuts. You only notice that the legs close with less force. You will have to carry the allen keys with you at all time or maybe tighten the nuts to the max before going out on a trip.

So I think, Manfrotto is slightly more stable tripod but because Giottos can be folded into very manageable package, it wins for me in terms of a tripod for excursions longer than a day. I am quite happy to take Giottos to the mountains or on a bicycle ride. My camera, lens etc are rather heavy so if you are using less chunky equipment you are going to be more pleased with the tripod
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on 2 November 2012
I reviewed and looked around well before I made my final purchase. I was looking for something light but not over my budget and was not bulky. I got more than I expected, it's light for an aluminium tripod, the ball head is easy to use and I love the removable monopod leg which has been very useful at times. I have found the legs a little stiff to fold back after use but I am mastering this with use.
on 16 March 2013
I'm not much of a tripod user but I do like to tinker with long exposure shots every now and then and after my old tripod wilted under the weight of my D5100 and 18-200mm lens, it was time to invest in a new one.

I was drawn to this tripod because of its reverse leg technology and its ability to fold down to 40cm - it will even fit in my Lowepro Compuday 250 backpack! The ball head is excellent, it's smooth, fluid and locks in place firmly holding my camera in any position without slipping and the horizontal pan is handy for panoramic/video work. The monopod function is a nice feature too, just unscrew one of the legs and attach the central column to it. It comes in a very nice little padded bag that has a shoulder strap, as well with a set of Allen keys and a smaller central column.

I was struggling to justify spending £170 on a tripod but I'm glad I did - this really is a well built, quality piece of kit that I expect will last many years without problem.
on 29 October 2012
I researched a lot of reviews & decided on this tripod. Reviews were good & the make is good & the fold up size was ideal for my air flight. I would say I am very pleased with this tripod. The engineering is solid & of a very good standard & the ball head is easy to use & solid. Takes the weight of my camera (2KG) without problem. Instructions in the zipped inside pocket of the bag are good. A 40cm folded length is excellent for flights & the weight is light - certainly compared to my 6KG old Benbo!
on 8 December 2013
As only an amateur I tried to resist paying £160. Having dismissed the £20 range I thought moving up to £100 range would provide for my needs, then when I saw the Giotto Vitruvium the engineering, strength, relative lightweight and compactness with neat bag supplied I realised this was going to be a lifetime investment not to be missed. I am delighted.
on 26 February 2013
Very portable and stable enough. The ball head is very good, for the level of price. Would recomend to enthusiast. Always remember "the best tripod is the one you have when you need it". This is really portable. Would change the leg lock mechanism, since i prefer levers. Would buy it again.
on 24 July 2014
I love this tripod. It is by far my favourite. Light, compact, quick to setup and easy to use. I bought this initially as a travel tripod due to the size and the weight, but it has quickly become my go to tripod for all occasions. There is just one problem that I have with this product. It has a short life span. Two of the three legs are broken. Because of the telescopic screw tightening design of the legs, it uses little plastic pieces in the legs to stop the legs from falling out when you loosen them, these plastic bits wear down after a while and fall out or get dislodged resulting in either the legs not closing properly anymore or just falling out completely when you extend them.
Initially i though 'hey! no problem! I'll just get replacement legs', but Giottos does not sell replacement parts :( I am forced to consider looking at manfrotto tripods now as a replacement.
on 2 April 2014
Wasn't sure what to expect on a product billed as a 'travel tripod'.

I'm often out and about filming or doing stills. But this met my requirements for both. The ball head is removable, so any head can be fitted (i.e. fluid video head etc).

As for the legs, I was worried these would be flimsy, but even with the aluminium version is was sturdy. Just be careful to tighten the 'locks' as they are screw-up as opposed to catches. Found this out as one side began to collapse mid-shoot.

Big selling point on this tripod...the built in monopod. I was looking at this tripod vs the Manfrotto equivalent. Needless to say the monopod addition has numerable benefits to me.

And overall weight wise, surprisingly not too heavy - but if you want any lighter, go carbon fibre.
on 10 December 2013
Probably a little more than I wanted to pay for a tripod however after a bit of research decided to bite the bullet. I have used this product for a couple of weeks now mainly on night shoots. I have found it to be sturdy in use, reasonably lightweight and well designed.The Vitruvian has a clever method of collapsing into a compact size. I haven't used the monopod yet but have set it up for use and it looks functional. The ball head operates smoothly. The tripod also comes with a nice well made bag to put it in. So all in all a good purchase.