Eden Of The East Movie 2 - Paradise Lost [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:£6.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 22 February 2012
Format: DVDVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It's worth noting that 'Paradise Lost' is the sequel to 'King of Eden' and a series, 'Eden of the East',came before that, so viewing this as a stand alone film might be a little confusing, and is not recommended.

However, as a fan of the original series and first film, this is a decent conclusion. The quality and attention to detail of the animation is fantastic, the characters as well developed as they were in the series, and my attention was gripped from start to finish.

Its certainly a fitting conclusion to the Eden of the East franchise, however it does have a few loose ends not fully explored, but for the most part, it reaches a satisfying conclusion.
VINE VOICEon 17 August 2012
Format: DVDVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Okay, right off the bat it's probably a no-brainer to tell you that there is no point in watching this movie if you haven't already seen the previous movie AND the preceding television series because Eden of the East, because believe me, the story here is DENSE to the point where it can very easily make no sense whatsoever if you haven't been playing close attention from the start of the entire thing... and even then, it isn't exactly the easiest story to follow.

The story primarily revolves around Japanese college student Saki being unwittingly thrown together with manic amnesiac Akira Takizawa once again and their continuing attempts to unravel the mysteries of his past following his memories being erased on at least two occasions. Central to this mystery is the group known as the Selacao, of which Takizawa is apparently a member. The Selacao are a small group of people who have each been handed a vast fortune, with a Star Trek looking mobile phone connected to an AI called "Juiz" being how they manage all their transactions, and told to basically "fix Japan" with it however they see fit... and as it turns out, all of these people are seriously insane in some form or other, with one of them being a supermodel who is a serial killer with a penchant for castration (Earning her the nickname "Johnny Taker"). It's pretty weird stuff. This movie follows on from the prior movie, which saw a once again mind wiped (At his own request) Takizawa believing he is the illegitimate son of the recently deceased Japanese Prime Minister... putting him in a position to begin a political ascent with the intention of satisfying his wish of becoming leader of the country... for whatever reasons. However, with the remaining Selacao still determined to get in his way with grand plans of their own it seems Saki, Takizawa and their allies only chance of bringing this whole situation to a head is to finally find and confront the man responsible for the creation of the Selacao conspiracy, Mister 'Outside'.

Now... I consider myself a man of some intelligence, but after watching through a TV series and two movies, Eden of the East remains a truly baffling piece of work to me. Oh, it provides explanations(Of a sort) for everything going on eventually, but the reasoning WHY certain characters take the actions they do at some points is just a mystery to me. The story has been a fairly dense one from the off, but there was always the promise of answers and pay off by the time it concluded... but apparently there wasn't the promise of satisfaction at this conclusion at the same time because that's exactly what there is not. There isn't enough in the way of a real payoff for everything that has gone on up until this point. I got to the end and the only thing going through my head was "That's it? All of that just for this?" and the feeling was not helped by the glacial pacing and dry, talk heavy focus of the two movies... I wasn't expecting a massive gunfight to finish things off or anything but a little tension... a little genuine excitement... are these too much to ask for?

It looks very nice and the voice acting is good, the soundtrack is excellent and there is a lot to like here... but I found too much of the experience as a whole to be dull and unengaging. Not an anime to remember as a classic in ten years I think.
VINE VOICEon 30 December 2011
Format: DVDVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have to admit that I come to this review without seeing the first part the series, which is a little bit of a handicap to say the least, for what it is worth, it may be best to see a review of the first part titled ` Eden of the East' to give you a feel of what to expect. Before I continue please see Mr Cook's review as it gives a good overview of the disc length and other features on the disc.
So what attracted me to this Manga production? It's quite simple really as I enjoyed the Ghost in the Shell, and the complex series and thought that this production would have similar traits great story line, and animation that both has visual impact and stunning imagination. Well the narrative does not disappoint, with political and subversive elements and mobile phones that look and feel as they are integral character in the plot! All which helps heighten the intrigue, and for this viewer did not disappoint. The characterizations were good, but did not seem on par with that of Ghost in the Shell. Here too the animation was good, but again the animation of the various characters seemed almost overtly simplified. To conclude then, a reasonable production but as `Josh' says in his review if your new to this series, `this is not the best place to start!' Your better starting off with the first instalment, as this DVD is not a standalone production, and hence my three stars.
VINE VOICEon 19 February 2012
Format: DVDVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
An anime with a real social conscience? Sounds like an enticing prospect to me. And that's what Paradise Lost offers - a slick, thoroughly modern thriller that manages to include everything from politically charged drama to hi-tech tension within its spectrum. Yes, the narrative might be pretty complex and takes a while to get to grips too, but everything is so well paced and sleekly executed that it's not long before you're lured into the shadowy intrigue of unfolding events. With an excellent voice cast and beautiful visuals, Paradise Lost not only feels like a bit of real eye candy, but it packs the meaningful agenda to back it up to. Toting messages about the position of young people within society and the ungainly tightrope those in power stride, you leave wanting to immerse yourself ever further into this world of magic cell phones and socio-terrorists. At its best, Paradise Lost makes you look at our own world and question its values, and your own place in society - and from an hour and a half of anime-thriller, that isn't bad going.
Format: DVDVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Others have done a good job of highlighting that this film should not be viewed out of sequence and it only took me a few minutes to realise that this is exactly what I was doing. Despite reading the plot synopsis for the first film and the series, I still felt somewhat in the dark so I'm not going to add much to the debate about the plot.

What I can say is that this is a visual treat. I'm not a particular expert on the Japanese animated film genre but I have watched my share of studio Ghibli films and the manga films that broke into western filmgoer consciousness in the 90s. I also watched some Ghost in the Shell so knew something of what this director, Kenji Kamiyama, was capable of. Eden of the East: Paradise Lost is beautifully detailed and a has a maturity of direction and screenplay that makes me want to start from the beginning to watch both the series and the first film before returning to appreciate this instalment properly.

I have a couple of minor complaints that have no bearing on the review of the film itself but rather the implementation of the DVD. My usual preference is to watch all films that are in languages I don't understand in their original form with subtitles. However I got the strong impression that the subtitles themselves were lacking in detail so switched to the English dubbed audio-track which confirmed my suspicions that the subtitles were substandard! I generally accept that the subtitles have to be a simplification of the script but these seem to leave out significant plot details and make a puzzling story even more opaque.

The second annoyance was the audio track which is quite patchy in quality. Some parts are well recorded but others, especially where music was involved, are under-sampled and well below the quality of what is on screen. This is a shame as the studios have clearly gone to great lengths to give us a detailed and closely observed visual world - either the original recording or the transfer to DVD hasn't done their sound-scape justice.

As I can't really judge the plot fairly, I'd give this 9/10 for the quality of animation and 6/10 for the overall DVD quality which has the problems of subtitling, sound quality and rather minimal extended content.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This second `Eden of the East' movie takes off where the first film `King of Eden' left off with Takizawa and Saki returning to Japan where he is suspected of being both a terrorist and the illegitimate son of the former Prime Minister. As he and his friends continue attempting to make Japan a better place they are also in the sights of the remaining Seleção and the Japanese government, but with the game coming to a close can Takizawa do enough to win while discovering the truth about his past?

Although it probably isn't quite as good as the previous film and is somewhat slow in places this second and final movie does conclude the series rather nicely. While I am sure there will be some who will be disappointed with the conclusion of this interesting and thoughtful series, I enjoyed the film very much. The plot takes off exactly where the previous film left off and although there are still some questions left at the end, I do feel that this conclusion was generally satisfying. I am still not much of a fan of the animation style used for the films and the series itself, I will admit it is growing on me and I like it better than I did at the beginning. The English voice acting is as good as it was in the series as well.

Overall this has been a very entertaining series and as a whole I would give the entire thing a full five stars. As for `Paradise Lost', it probably isn't the best part of the series but anyone who has watched Eden of the East from the beginning should enjoy it and I feel it deserves around four and a half stars.
Format: DVDVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Eden of the East: Paradise lost is based on the television series of the same name, resultantly I felt very much behind the curve on this one. I still have no idea what a "Ruiz" is, or why ordering things over your phone is monitored by a secret society. Minor qualms aside, this is an entertaining film with an immersing story-line.

We pick up where the first film left off; on the same plane that takes off in the concluding scenes of Eden Of The East and find Akira "Air-King" continuing his quest to better Japan. At points this moral-lecturing about bettering the future is sickeningly cringe-worthy ["Why can't people just enjoy earning money more than spending it?" - I mean, really?!] and it is obviously that it is trying to inspire the Japanese NEETs (Not-in-Education, Employment or Training) to pick up the societal slack a bit. The story is wrapped around the terrorist attacks from the first film and as a result I felt that not a lot actually happens in this instalment - they just end up discussing the first one at length.

Secondary to all this governmental-youth-stimulus-infused-plot is the near-endless mobile telephone usage; the entire film runs like one long animated mobile advert. I have no idea if you can actually purchase these handsets in Japan, but they get more screen-time than the characters themselves [a handset is on-screen for the entirety of the credits just in case you missed the preceding 2 hours and hadn't already got the message]

Nonetheless, well animated, entertaining when you can piece together what the hell is going on. If you're into Eden of the East; you are sure to enjoy this. Otherwise, this is not the best place to start!!
on 22 December 2013
I've been reading some of the reviews for this, and it looks like a large number of them are by people who aren't familiar with anime, or have at most a casual interest in it. The number of people rating this 3 stars for reasons such as "It's not good as a standalone film" is frankly mind-boggling. Of course it's not good as a standalone film! It's the final part of what is essentially a 3-part series with a relatively complex plot.

If you are not familiar with Eden of the East or anime in general, don't think you can watch this and appreciate it. One gentlemen who rated this 3 stars said that he couldn't imagine adults sticking with it. Frankly, I would think that anybody would have a hard time sticking with the conclusion to a story that they knew nothing about.

If, however, you watched and enjoyed the Eden of the East anime and the first film "King of Eden" then rest assured that the conclusion "Paradise Lost" is a fitting end to the series. And if you agree with me then I would encourage you to submit your own rating! This really deserves a higher rating, since it's been bumped down by lots of people rating it 2 or 3 stars simply because they're not familiar with the series.
on 6 September 2012
First of all before watching this movie I strongly recommend you watch the TV series and the first movie. This movie directly follow on from where the first movie left off.

If you watched the series so far and liked it then you must watch this conclusion.

This second movie brings Eden of the East to a close and unlike the first movie doesn't end in suspense. The only downer to this movie is knowing that there is no Eden of East to come.

The art is actually a bit of a bug bear to me on Eden of the East as a whole. The backdrops are really well animated as are the characters with one exception, they have no nose. It's a minor irritation but one that I've never got used too. Ignoring that though the Blu-Ray release looks stunning.

The story and plot in this movie as in all the series are really good though and easily makes up for the lack of noses on the characters.

This release also features various trailers and movie spots as well as US cast commentary and Visual commentary as extras. It's always good to see extras.

Overall if you have watched and enjoyed the series so far then this is for you.
VINE VOICEon 19 January 2012
Format: DVDVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Watching this anime it quickly became apparent that one really needed to see the first film for all the detail of the plot to connect up although the bare bones were relatively easy to piece together. It would also help to have seen the series which preceded the films which has been edited into a film format as an extra in the 2 disc version of "East of Eden 1". It's also not the easiest thing to watch with subtitles as the action flows too fast to watch and read fully so it will need at least two viewings for those of us who don't understand Japanese but hate dubbing. I assume it was aimed at a teen and sub-teen market and the quality of animation is much more in line with the reather crude fast produced mass-market tv series' than the visuals we have been used to with films produced for the cinema market. Studio Ghibli it ain't.

At the moment I only reckon on 3 stars but if I ever feel inclined to catch up with the earlier episodes I may revisit that after seeing it in a wider narative context. If the visual quality of the animation were better I would be keen to do so but at the moment am not particularly inspired.