4.0 out of 5 stars Asus Eee PC 1011PX
This is a very quick review as it is really a warning to anyone wishing to buy the
1011PX based on Amazon's description of the product.

The two issues I have had is that this model has the 23w/h 4.5 hour battery and not the stated 11 hours mentioned in the description.
Published on 12 Nov 2011 by Alan King

1.0 out of 5 stars DOES NOT COME WITH AN 11 HOUR BATTERY!
I'm writing this in an effort to save others the hassle I experienced.

Published on 24 Nov 2011 by Kevin Turvey

4.0 out of 5 stars Asus Eee PC 1011PX, 12 Nov 2011
Alan King "Alan King" (Lincs, UK) - See all my reviews
1011PX based on Amazon's description of the product.

The Dual core N570 processor is fitted however. The other issue is no Bluetooth. It is only when I have read the manual does it
mention "depending on model" so these two issues mean that this 1011PX is not suitable for me.

Otherwise apart from the screen lid being a tad awkward to lift I am impressed by the 1011PX it is pretty nippy considering
the use of Windows 7 starter. The screen is very nice and the chiclet keys are brilliant. The netbook is very quiet and
runs cool. The trackpad and buttons are excellent. Hard drive capacity is reported as 217Gb with a D: partition of 100Gb.

Overall a great netbook, but for me let down by the Amazon description and misleading specifications by Asus.

1.0 out of 5 stars DOES NOT COME WITH AN 11 HOUR BATTERY!, 24 Nov 2011
Kevin Turvey (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus Eee PC 1011PX 10.1 inch Netbook (Intel Atom N570 1.66 GHz, RAM 1GB, HDD 250GB, Windows 7 Starter) - Black (Personal Computers)
I'm writing this in an effort to save others the hassle I experienced.

At the time of writing Amazon continues to list this netbook as having an 11 hr battery. In reality, Asus don't make a battery that lasts 11 hours (8 hours is about right for the 8700mAh battery that is claimed to stretch 11 hours but never does). However, this netbook 1011PX comes with a 2700mAh battery, which will last you about 2.5 hours, not the 11 hours in between charges quoted by Amazon.

The netbook itself is fast enough for general everyday use and if my previous Asus netbook was anything to go by, it will be reliable too. It's lighter and better looking than the earlier netbooks, but with a slightly more plastic and less robust feel to it than older models.

Amazon refused to replace the netbook with one that did have an '11 hour battery', so i sent it back for a refund and found a 6000 mAh version at another store online for the same price as the 2700mAh version. From that battery i'll get about 5.5 hrs probably.

The high battery capacity was a big selling point for Asus in the old days, and is well worth having if you can find an advert which lists the correct specifications in the first place.

EDIT:

After about ten months use from the ASUS I bought to replace the original one I reviewed here, I just thought I'd add some updated info for potential buyers:

1. This netbook replaced one of the first ones that came out, which were really quite fast and much more robustly built than the new, thinner ones out now. The new model is very SLOW after a short period of time by comparison.
2. The materials used seem to be nicer looking BUT of poorer quality. The battery catch broke after a few weeks and so now the computer cuts out if I move it on the table. The screen frame and RAM housing are made of materials far too flimsy to remain uncracked for long.

I contacted ASUS customer service who were unhelpful. They said they'd refer my comments to Research and Development - no good to me. I've downgraded my rating from 2 stars to 1 now as a result.

All things considered, I wouldn't buy ASUS again. They started off with something good and, like many other manufacturers, ended up using cheaper or poorer materials in the pursuit of greater sales through novelty (ultra-thin netbooks etc) once the brand name had gained a little reputation. What a shame.

4.0 out of 5 stars ASUS 1011PX 10.1, 28 Nov 2011
Searched long and hard, reading reviews, visiting shops etc etc and finally settled on this Netbook. Purchased 2Gb RAM with the computer and installed it before first run. Recognised memory straight away and the machine runs exceptionally well for such a small thing. Running full Windows 7 Pro and Office 2010 which it copes with admirably. Wouldn't won't to be doing any heavy multi-tasking but every day surfing and processing is just fine. Not the best sound, but what do you expect; it's not fitted with a top of the range BOSE outfit is it! I did clear out a lot of the superfluous software including the pre-installed anti virus (really easy using CCleaner# and banged on Microsoft Essentials which does the job nicely and is free!

Biggest draw back and let down - THE BATTERY: even doing the most mundane of tasks [playing solitaire] the battery never lasts more than a 1/4 of the advertised time. Not quite the all day, go anywhere companion you are led to believe it is. You won't even be able to watch a long film without the assistance of your charger and a power outlet. Turn the graphics quality down to it's lowest setting and you will get more from the battery but picture quality/resolution will be pants and the advertised battery life did say at full CPU usage! I don't think so!!

All-in-all, very pleased with the wee beastie even though the battery is disappointing.

MVW

p.s. even though the keyboard is a little smaller than normal it is very well laid out, has a quality feel and its use is very intuitive after a very short time.[ASIN:B005FW9SPQ Asus Eee PC 1011PX 10.1 inch Netbook #Intel Atom N570 1.66 GHz, RAM 1GB, HDD 250GB, Windows 7 Starter) - Black]

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little netbook but better battery would be a benefit, 29 Jan 2012
At the price being charged by Amazon (at the time of writing), I have to say that this is a very impressive netbook for the money. You will struggle to buy anything cheaper. I wasn't expecting too much at this price with regards to overall quality, but found there's little to complain about.

My first impression was very positive. It's a really cute little machine (and really nicely packaged too). For the money, build quality is absolutely satisfactory. I was impressed. Solid and well put together. No annoying gaps or creaks. Not too keen on the glossy plastic bits around the screen and keyboard, but the textured finish elsewhere looks nice and durable. It's smart and stylish.

The chiclet keyboard is good quality and feels suprisingly nice to type on. The trackpad is also totally fine and very pleasant to use.

Performance wise, I found it absolutely satisfactory too. Starts and shuts down fast and it's perfect for a light user (internet browsing, e-mail, etc.). The first time I've used an Atom processor and I would be totally happpy with how the N570 performed. It's also a very, very quiet machine.

However, as others have pointed out, this particular model comes with a three cell, 4.5 hour (max) battery and that will probably translate to between 2 and 3 hours at the most for general use. A bit of a shame, especially as netbooks like this are so light and portable that you don't want to be tied to a socket. Of course, you can always get a six cell battery (from as little as 30 on eBay but not genuine Asus ones at that price) later if you need more battery life.

I also thought when plugging it in to the mains that that the (tiny) power connector seems quite flimsy and I would be concerned with its durability. But that is a concern shared with Asus netbooks in general, not just this model - it seems that about all current Asus netbooks have this tiny, mobile phone sized connector and socket. It's about the only thing I didn't like.

So, overall, a delightful, little computer for the money. Exceeded my expectations (I was just after something cheap and basic to handle light internet, e-mail, Skype duties). And while tablets may be the in thing these days, I have to say that 'the netbook' is a lovely concept and really nice to use.

I would happily buy again (as long as the power connector doesn't one day confirm my suspicions of its flimsiness...). But, in hindsight, I would have paid the extra few tenners to get a different Asus model (either this or the very similar 1015PX) with a bigger and better six cell battery.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 20 Jan 2012
So I got this about a week ago, so I could do my schoolwork and homework on it in school. It arrived 2 days after I ordered it and it came with the bag I ordered (amazon basics Netbook bag w/ handles). I'm very impressed with it, and I'm glad I got it. The ports are well places and it's only 1.1kg.

The reason this product is not 5* is because:

1. It has no disk drive. I recently purchased Windows 7 Home Premium and it's a Disk. I was planning to use it on the Netbook.
2. Battery. The title is deceiving, because this could get maybe 4 hours of battery life. If your'e looking for something for email, web browsing, music, videos ETC, get an iPad.

Overall, it's good, buy it unless you need the above 2 things.

[...] I reviewed this and also unboxed the amazon basics bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!, 23 Aug 2013
Brilliant little gadget. I brought this originally for travel as I was going to New Zealand for 3 months. Was absolutely fine. Great memory, lightweight and robust. Good battery life. Great for surfing the net and storing photographs and music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fit for duty, 30 May 2013
Ivan Cohen "Dr Hotspur" (London, England) - See all my reviews
We bought this for my son to use in secondary school. He has writing difficulties due to fine motor skills issues, and this has solved a lot of his note-taking problems.

2.0 out of 5 stars Returned, 12 July 2012
Mr. S. Fish - See all my reviews
Mine was making a unusual sound from possibly the hard drive? It was returned for a refund. A great shock as it was an Asus!

1.0 out of 5 stars slow motion, 21 Jan 2012
Extremely disappointed with this netbook, its like going back to dial up again, is sooooooooo slow and thats with me upgrading the RAM to 2GB. It states the Dual core processor increases performance by 32%, well that must bring it up to minus 150%, completely useless, battery life 2 hours max so make sure your near a power outlet, my advice is to stay away from this at all costs, complete waste of money, thought i was saving money by buying this but its going to cost me more in the long run as i will have to buy a proper one now, around the road is the near cut, at the end of the day you get what you pay for, in this case a frozen piece of plastic junk!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Little wonder ..., 17 Jan 2012
Super fast delivery and very well packaged. These are amazing little machines that we will use to train young people at our charity. It makes it easy because we don't have a base and offer detached training. Many thanks.