5.0 out of 5 stars At last some common sense and helpful advice!
I have a 3 month old baby and this book was a breath of fresh air. It is packed with information but I didn't feel talked down to, it's just like a friend telling you all the stuff you want and need to know. I wish I could have Jo in the house to help me every day but I guess with this book she is!
Published on 29 Aug 2007 by A new mum

3.0 out of 5 stars down to earth advice
Published on 11 Mar 2011 by littlemy

3.0 out of 5 stars down to earth advice, 11 Mar 2011
This is the only baby care book I bought myself after I'd freaked out by Baby Whisperer that I had been given. With my newborn I wanted down to earth advice and guidance and this book was great for that; it was like talking to a knowledgeable big sister or good friend. It is not patronising and MOST IMPORTANTLY does not make you feel like a failure for not doing things a certain way from day 1 - which is the problem I had with BW (for the record I did revisit the book when baby was about 3 months and found it a bit more helpful then though still have a problem with its tone and some of the stuff in it). Like any book like this it has its limitations - unfortunately nothing or nobody is going to be able to give you black and white advice on how to take care of YOUR baby, nor should they. I found the limitation here to be that if things did not go as "supposed to" in 0-3 month section then the remaining part of the book is sort of irrelevant because it only builds on that, not catering for a situation where things did not go according to plan; for example my baby slept ok from birth and slept better and better until crash, at 3 months that all went to pot and she started waking min 3 times a night. In the book after 3 months it was all about "now your baby will be sleeping better and better and perhaps through the night"...

5.0 out of 5 stars At last some common sense and helpful advice!, 29 Aug 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars Jo Frost's Confident Baby Care, 14 Sep 2007
This book is full of useful, practical advice and is so easy to use, whether you read it in one sitting or dip in and out for reference. As a new mum, I feel much more confident now - thanks Jo!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, very short and common sense, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: Jo Frost's Confident Baby Care: Everything You Need To Know For The First Year From UK's Most Trusted Nanny (Jo Frost's Confident Care) (Kindle Edition)
Nothing that isn't really common sense outlined in this book so very disappointed by this read. The book is short and doesn't go into much detail about key subjects and routines.

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative, 8 Nov 2013
Informative book, have only got through the first few chapters.

Disappointed with the use of the term father and dad only - no consideration for non traditional families, such as family raised, same-sex or single parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 4 July 2013
great book from jo has really helped me with getting to know my son and how i can bea better father

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 3 May 2013
Very happy with the book, great condition and very pleased about the delivery service too. The book has all info you need, I strongly recomand it. Go Jo! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 19 Sep 2011
Wish I had bought this before my baby was born, it is full of useful, no-nonsense, practical advise as you would expect of Jo Frost.

1.0 out of 5 stars Full of Misinformation, 25 Nov 2013
This book is full of incorrect information on subjects of weaning, breastfeeding and formula. Wouldn't waste my hard earned money on it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this book!, 22 Oct 2010
This book claims to be 'Everything You Need To Know For The First Year From UK's Most Trusted Nanny' unfortunately it doesn't even come close. Other reviewers have said that this book doesn't intend to go in depth...but its title says otherwise.

It tries to cover so many topics, but falls short. It's vague, random and confusing. Some of the most important issues are relegated to small blurbs whilst others are waffled on about. A baby's first year is a long and wonderful time full of excitement and joy, but it is also hard work and can be lonely and confusing. Jo seems to want to focus on the good times, but most people need help during the hard times.

It makes many assumptions which are not backed by any facts. It also assumes your baby will fall in to some sort feeding and eating routine, this is not always the case, so if your baby does not conform you are left at a loss as to what to do. Strangely it also assumes that babies will not be able to sleep through the night until they are on solids, this is pure fiction as sleeping through the night has more to do with the weight of your child and how much it can drink/eat in the day than its age.

The baby log contained in the book is a useless set of lined pages with a cartoon picture of a baby. It offers no logical way to record your babies eating and sleeping.

The most disturbing aspect of this book for me is Jo using the term reflux without it being properly explained. Jo describes reflux as "Reflux, which is when babies become distressed during feeds and don't get proper nourishment". There is no further explanation in the book but she continues to use the term out of context and inaccurately. Reflux can be a serious and painful condition. It is very distressing for both parent and child and depending on the severity needs to be treated and monitored by a pediatrician.

Fellow Mothers, I would save my money. Use the internet, or if you want a baby friendly manual to help you find a routine of sorts try `The Baby Whisperer', keep an open mind whatever you read as every baby is an individual.
[[ASIN:0091902517 The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems (By Teaching You How to Ask the Right Questions): Sleeping, feeding and behaviour - beyond the basics through infancy and toddlerdom]

ARRAY(0x9f9c236c)