5.0 out of 5 stars How far would you travel for the man you love?
Wrapped up in You is Carole Matthews 19th novel.

Janie Johnson is a 30 something single hairdresser living on her own in a little cottage in Buckinghamshire with just Archibald the Aggressive (her cat!) for company.

Published on 16 Sep 2011 by Lougrahamii

3.0 out of 5 stars Unusual !
Couldn't really enjoy this book, it was addictive but somehow found it hard to believe and not sure why. Love the sentiment but just didn't do it for me!
Published 14 months ago by sarah bassett

5.0 out of 5 stars How far would you travel for the man you love?, 16 Sep 2011
This review is from: Wrapped Up In You (Kindle Edition)
Wrapped up in You is Carole Matthews 19th novel.

Her Clients and Friends constant check on her love life gets her down. Nightmare blind dates and the news that her Ex is getting married and his Fiancee is with child pushes her over the edge. Before she knows what she is saying she blurts out that she is off on an Adventure to Africa!

Arriving in the baking heat in Maasai Mara in Kenya whilst the UK is covering in Christmas snow with the knowledge that all her friends think she has lost the plot! Janie meets Dominic, a Maasai Warrior who is to be her guide for the next week and who takes her breath away the moment she meets him. Can "Just" Janie stop herself falling head over heels in love with Dominic and return to her boring in life in the UK or could she dream of a happily ever after with him?

I was delighted to get an advanced copy of Carole's latest book armed with a hot chocolate and a blanket, (well it is a Christmas read) I set about Janie's journey. Straight away I was hooked and couldn't put it down. Janie is a very loveable character and I could understand her need to show her friends she had the guts to try something different with this trip to Africa. The sheer joy of her relationship with Dominic and the tenderness Carole writes of their developing love at the beginning of the story had me turning the pages to see what happens next.

An absolutely delightful story, packed full of comedy moments and also the changing dynamics of friendships as people reach new chapters in the lives. l truly felt Janie's sadness at many parts of the story and you just can't help willing it to turn out right for her. Is it possible to make true love work when you are from very different backgrounds or should Janie listen to what her Friends are telling her?

Perfect winter read that I totally recommend that I know you won't be able to put down!

5.0 out of 5 stars I was wrapped up in this book, 13 Sep 2011
realovesbooks (South east London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wrapped Up In You (Hardcover)
Carole Matthews has come back with a bang this year. From the first chapter of Wrapped Up in You I was hooked. I connected with the main character from the moment I met her. Janie works as a hairdresser which is a similar industry that I work in so when we first meet her at work with her chatty clients talking about love and holidays, I felt like I was reading about my working day! Janie's character comes over as very warm and caring if a little vulnerable. We only hope that she can soon find the love and happiness she deserves.
Carole teases us in this book with two gorgeous men, Dominic and Mike, who are two worlds apart and who are both perfect in every way and will have you looking at your partner wondering why he isn't more like these characters!
The descriptive method of writing Matthews uses in this book really gives this book an intriguing and exciting feel to it. I think this book should come with a warning on the festive front cover as once you have read this it will have you looking at holidays in Africa!

As you will see from the picture above now that Carole has moved over to Sphere she now has a fresh new look which in my opinion looks much more inviting. I was expecting more of a festive feel to the book judging by the cover so I was a little surprised y the storyline when Janie leaves the festive setting for a gorgeous setting in Africa.

We also get our little touches of humour in this book, my favourite involving a difficult escape route! The book starts at a great pace and continues the whole way through with no dull points to the book. I thought by the second chapter that I knew how the story was going to pan out but I was wrong. This novel is beautifully written and the ending is wrapped up in a lovely way not leaving us hanging and not feeling a rush to the close.

This is one of my favourite Carole Matthews books and I cannot recommend it enough, everyone needs this book sitting under their Christmas tree.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unusual !, 29 Jun 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me!!, 25 Jun 2012
KG (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wrapped Up In You (Paperback)
This was one of my downloads onto my Kindle and I went to this one first as I normally race through Carole's books with a smile on my face. This one despite the original plot really did not appeal to me and I did not get into it at all. Sorry Carole! I do have your next one to read already on my kindle so fingers crossed for a smile on my face!

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of emotion and that is just me!!, 17 Feb 2012
This review is from: Wrapped Up In You (Kindle Edition)
I am a massive Carole Matthews fan and have read all of her books. This latest one doesn't disappoint either. I got into the story almost immediatley and couldn't put it down. Even reading a bit on valentines day (hubby was not too impressed!!) but I just wanted to read and read and read it was that addictive.

Love the characters especially Archibald the Agressive although I do think he should have been let loose on Lewis and then he would not have bothered Janie again.

I laughed, I cried and sometimes I cried laughing. One of my favourites. Looking forward to reading the next book Carole.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite all wrapped up, 28 Dec 2011
This review is from: Wrapped Up In You (Paperback)
This was the first Carole Matthews book I have read. I enjoyed this book but it just felt like something was missing.

The main character Janie was likeable and caring. A hairdresser and a good listener. The characters in general are easy to warm to. Especially Janie's forever loyal neighbour.

The sub story with her creepy stalker Lewis Moran made me smile.

I wish the section set out in Kenya was longer. In places it was all abit Crocodile Dundee with the differences in culture.

This book was an easy read and hasn't put me off reading another of Matthews many novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Want One of Those please, Santa!, 30 Nov 2011
This review is from: Wrapped Up In You (Paperback)
Wrapped Up in You is the first of the current crop of Christmas themed books which I have read. I was drawn in by the cover and the other Carole Matthews books which I've also enjoyed. And I wasn't disappointed.

I immediately empathised with the plight of Janie in her dead end job, trying to make a life for herself after being dumped by her boyfriend. I laughed at her disasterous blind date and her accidental acquisition of a persistent, obnoxious stalker. I loved her next door neighbour Mike who was a tower of strength for Janie which she needed one. I even grew to like her toxic friend Nina who had problems of her own. But for me, the novel really gets into its stride when Janie and Dominic meet in the Maasai Mara and he sleeps outside her tent to protect her from the wildlife (and her fears). It's the first time Janie's felt protected and cared for - and it's a feeling she doesn't want to relinquish.

We are rooting for Janie from the get go when she takes the initial - and for her, giant step - of going on holiday to the Maasai Mara to break out of the rut she's in. And when she almost bankrupts herself to return to Africa for a second time and brings home her own personal souvenir, we've got our fingers and toes crossed and hope that it'll all work out for her - and Dominic.

I don't want to give away the plot [I hate when reviewers do that!]. All I will say is: if you want to follow Janie and Dominic's path to happiness and true love as they fight against prejudice and ignorance - then get out the box of kleenex, top up your hot chocolate with marshmallows and squirty cream and prepare for an emotional ride. By the end of it you'll have forgotten all about Christmas Lists and on-line shopping and will want Santa to bring you a Maasai warrior of your very own!! Just like Just-Janie.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fab festive read, 31 Oct 2011
DizzyC "carol36" (East Anglia, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wrapped Up In You (Paperback)
Janie is just an ordinary girl, and single for way too long. So long that her friends and clients at the hairdressing salon are trying to fix up her love life. She tries to convince even herself that she is happy being single.

Lovable Mike, is the divorcee from next door. He is a good friend to Janie and she would be lost without him. He is always there for Janie and wants to be more than just a good friend.

Lewis is Janie's blind date, never to be repeated, who just doesn't get the message that Janie is not interested.

One of Janie's regular customers suggests she goes on holiday to Africa. Janie would never think of going to Africa on holiday alone! But she does just that after blurting it out whilst trying to look for an excuse not to attend her ex-boyfriend's wedding!

Lovable Mike, takes Janie to the airport and tells Janie about his true feelings. It is not what Janie wants right now.
Once Janie arrives in Africa she is still unsure how she managed to get into this situation. How will she sleep at night with all those wild animals out there?
That is where her Maasai Warrior guide, Dominic comes into the picture.
Dominic is completely different to the last blind date, Lewis the creep. Dominic is the perfect romantic and exotic hero without even trying.

When Janie finishes her African holiday and returns home to England all she can think about is her holiday romance. Was it just a holiday romance or can they have a future together when their lives are so different?

I really enjoyed a different take on boy meets girl in this storyline. These two characters are so different and their lives are worlds apart. It made for interesting reading, in amongst the love story, to discover the problems that these two characters would face trying to be together. The will it work, won't it work scenario had me gripped.

I kicked off my festive seasonal reading with this review copy of Carole Matthews latest novel. I would recommend this as a perfect festive read. Fellas - this would make a good stocking filler, too.

It is like Shirley Valentine meets Out of Africa!

5 out of 5 for me!

Thank you to Sphere for sending me a review copy

4.0 out of 5 stars Wrapped Up In You, 30 Sep 2011
This review is from: Wrapped Up In You (Hardcover)
Picking up this book I was led to believe that it was going to be a real Christmassy read, mostly due to the festive cover and the mentions of Christmas in the synopsis. However, the book wasn't quite as Christmassy as I imagined, which was a bit of a let down as I was all psyched up for a festive read, thankfully though, Carole was still able to produce a really good read, so I wasn't left feeling disappointed for too long.

The story tells of single hairdresser Janie who, in a bid to escape her gossiping clients and work colleagues, heads on a whirlwind trip to Africa. Little does she know that whilst there she fall for Maasai warrior, Dominic.

Carole Matthews is an author who I always feel safe with. I know her books will bring a happy ending and that ultimately the story contained within them will be a feel good one, which is exactly what Wrapped Up In You is. Carole writes short and snappy chapters (my favourite) that leave you thinking 'just one more', while she also manages to pack a lot into each chapter, so much so that you almost wonder how she does it.

This book has got likeable characters, as well as a nice if somewhat brief change of setting when the story relocates to Africa. I thought that it made a nice change to have the main character's love interest (Dominic) to be someone so far removed culturally to the main character (Janie), and thought it was good that he was so different to your typical chick-lit hero.

It might not be the Christmas read I was expecting, but Wrapped Up In You is a good read nevertheless, and one you could pick up at any time of the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Safari magic, 24 Aug 2011
This review is from: Wrapped Up In You (Hardcover)
Wrapped Up In You is Carole Matthew's eagerly-awaited nineteenth title. I have been one of Carole's loyal fans after being enchanted by The Chocolate Lovers' Club, where her unique warm, funny and tickle-my-heart style of writing captivated me.

Wrapped Up In You is a romantic romp through Janie's singleton life as a hairdresser; her relationships with Archibald, her indomitable cat, and best friends Nina and Mike paint a vivid picture of how one small decision can change our whole world.

Janie's great adventure- a safari led by a gentle Masai Warrior - is beautifully depicted, with wildlife scenes vividly brought to life and you really can step into Janie's wonderment of her surroundings and the blossoming of deep emotions between herself and her protector, Dominic.

As Janie returns to her quintessentially English village life and yearns for her holiday love, the wheels are set in motion for the dark - and light - sides of friendships to show themselves and how we, as individuals, are changed irrevocably by love when we least expect it.

This wonderful book made me laugh, made me cry and made me sigh with a deep desire to head off on safari - another beautiful "keeper" gem to add to Carole's list of amazing novels which lift your spirits and remind you of just how wonderful love and life is.

I absolutely LOVED this book and I really think Archie needs to be made into his very own superhero character!!

Wrapped Up In You