TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 28 September 2011
Secrets in Burracombe by Lilian Harry is the sixth book in the Burracombe village series and once again it was a wonderful read. Lilian brought our favourite villagers back into our lives and we were allowed another look into their world and seeing what happened next to our favourite characters. As an author Lilian Harry once again did not disappoint me as a reader.
As in past books of the same series the Napiers and Tozers families where the main characters of the story, Stella and her sister Maddie are also part of the main storyline this time along with Stella's future husband Felix the local curate. Joe Tozer, and his son travel from America for a visit to see his family which also added another dimension to the lives of the residents of Burracombe.
I do not want to destroy the book for other readers by saying what happens but I can honestly say all those readers that have been following this Burracombe series, they will not be disappointed.
Through reading all the books of this series it is clear that Lilian Harry knows Devon like the back of her hand due to the fact as all her fans know that is where she lives. What I do love about Lilian's writing, when she writes the dialogue and the vocabulary of the residents I could hear the devonshire accent when I was reading the book. She has such an understanding of the people from that area and especially of that era she wrote a true to life book from that time in history and showed the reader what life was like back in the 1950's and it was so different unfortunately from what life is like today. It actually made me wish life was like that once again as I know people faced problems just like we do nowadays but life seemed to be more honest back then and villages like the Burracombe seemed to pull together at times of need. Lilian Harry writes a very good book of village life.
The books are in order are as follows.
1. The Bells Of Burracombe (Devon)
2. A Stranger In Burracombe (Burracombe Village 2)
3. Storm Over Burracombe (Burracombe Village 3)
4. Springtime In Burracombe (Burracombe Village 4)
5. An Heir for Burracombe (Burracombe Village 5)
This book is number 6 and next November the next book in the series will be published which is Christmas in Burracombe and I am really looking forward to it as this book as like those books in the left questions unanswered and story-lines which need to be finished.
This book is better enjoyed if you read the other books first as all the stories are linked through the characters and past story-lines though are mentioned are not explained fully. Though this book on its own is a good read but I feel to enjoy this book to the full extent you should read the full Burracombe series.
I highly recommend this book as an excellent read.
on 15 March 2012
im totally hooked on reading lilian harrys books. having lived in portsmouth for 12 years i have walked down commercial road meany times and never once thought of the past days until i read her books and then i felt like i was part of the story. believe me if your 'pompey' based have a read and see if you feel the same too. i have read every one of her books and cant wait for the next one to come out. thanks lilian you sure given me many hours of happy reading and im getting all my friends to start on your books too
on 8 November 2011
Lilian Harry does not dissapoint. If you have read the other books in the Burracombe series you will love this book. The characters really come to life as if you have known them for years. I look forward the the next book Christmas in Burracombe.
on 17 April 2012
This book was an excellent read if you like stories about life in the 1950s. It picks up from the book 'An Heir for Burracombe' and continues the series. However I feel that even if you have not read any of these books before you could still enjoy it as a stand alone novel. The ending of the story leads me to hope that there will be a further novel in this series. I would recommend it to others.Secrets in Burracombe (Burracombe Village 6)
on 6 June 2014
sorry i have not got time to write something about all i have bought from Amazon, i enjoy all LillianHarry books a;; Essie Summers, Annie Groves Mary Jane Staples and Joan Jonkers books. my only adverse remarks re Amazon are about the Kindle.
this was bought for me A NEW ONE, in February this year, which failed to work on Good Friday you did replace it but with RECONDITIONED ONE this was faulty was replaced again this was also faulty, so was replaced again, this 4th one was failed to open when delivered, your ladies at the service centre worked and managed to get it working. it is obvious that reconditioning is not being done correctly. also i am rather disgusted that a second hand model is sent in place of a new one. prices for each new and second hand must be different. so are we due a refund of the difference. also i was informed byy email that on a promational code I could buy some books for 1-99 i bought two but on checking my account i have been charged the full kindle amount. please check
on 22 October 2014
There are visitors coming to Burracombe, Joe and Russell Tozer, Joe left for America after The Great War. But now he and his son have to Burracombe to see old friends. But with coming home, Joe brings secrets with him, that may help change the direction of the lives of some of the town's residents. Also the planning of the wedding between Felix and Stella continue, but danger is ahead of the young couple.
So I have to admit that "Secrets in Burracombe" by Lillian Harry has been the least favorite in the series. To me is seem that the action is slower than it has been all of the other books.
on 17 March 2013
as it is a continuation of the many other books wothin the april grove and burracombecollection it lets you see where their lives are going and what is happening to the families that have been created by the auther
i have read all of the april grove series and the books connected to them and have enjoyed them all as i have enjoyed the burracombe collection
on 16 August 2013
I have enjoyed all the Lilian Harry books and have read every one she has written. But I have a special fondness for the characters in the Burracombe series, perhaps because there have been so many books, which allows the reader to get to know the characters well. Looking forward to "Weddings in Burracombe" next.
on 7 August 2013
I'm hooked on the Burracombe books and really feel that I "know" the characters. Despite being set in the fifties, the stories are just as relevant as any contemporary books. More, please!
on 13 February 2013
You really should start with the 1st in the series Bells of Burracome. As with all her books, the author has detail down to a fine art. Her research is so thorough. She writes from the heart.