If you need Sibelius, then it's great to be able to get a student edition. But note that this software asks for proof of student when you install, not when you buy, so check that you will qualify (I answered a previous review with the student criteria)
Sibelius is the perfect product if you have anything to do with composing music - it supports the main staves and chord input and playback, and converts between them. It also changes key, which saves a lot of effort (but your tutor knows this, so don't think you can cheat).
44 comments|11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 March 2013
I chose this rating because I bought it for my son and it has been so useful for him and lifted his work into a new level altogether. it has made him so happy - he never assumed I would get it, but it's made a world of difference for him. It arrived unbelievably promptly too! Well done and thank you.
on 3 February 2014
I recieved this product very quickly! It's great because now I can finally work on my composition from home rather than on campus.

Before activating in I had to scan my student card in order to activate it with codes they send to me after verifying my student statue!

Sibelius I love you!!
on 23 April 2013
Does the job for me, I am able to compose and export to midi to pro tools and don't have to go to uni to do it all! Easy to use and was relatively cheap compared to the 'full fat' version. Would recommend to any student or to anyone buying for a student. (You must have proof you are a student/ in education)
on 25 April 2013
For long time, I was wondering if there was any program that would do the job for musicians just like a word processor does for writers. I searched in the Internet and learnt the name Sibelius in the first place. Did a little bit of research about it, took a couple of classes and found out this is the program I was exactly looking for. Then I bought the then latest version Sibelius 4 educational one when I enrolled in a music course. The dealer told me it is no different to the proper version but only the price. Just an offer for students. I believed so because I found no difference in what I studied in the class and I am able to be doing a lot of things in it. When buying the student version, I had to prove that I was a student while registration or something if my memory served me well. After that there had been no such problems in upgrading.

I love to compose and arrange music. Not like a classical composer but simple score for my own rock/pop music. The composition and arrangement is all in my mind. Sibelius plays for me the notes I input for bass, drums, keyboards, violins, saxophones, etc. I listen to how it sounds and rework to make it sound better. I can use it as a final audio script before going to a studio. I even make backing tracks for covers and play guitar and sing along to entertain friends and myself. Though it's not suitable for professional entertainment use as sound samples are not of that high quality because the program is not designed for it.

Even after loving this software so much why I am giving it only 4 stars is that I regularly upgrade to the latest versions but not immediately. And after every upgrade, I have trouble finding the sound I have used in the previous version because of which my score sounds different. Currently I use different samples from different libraries - DLS Music Device, Kontakt Player 5, Rock And Pop Collection and Sibelius Player. Strange thing is that before every upgrade (4 to 5, 5 to 6 and now 6 to 7), I seem to experience troubles with the sound libraries which kind of forces me to upgrade even though I am happy with that version. I don't know why.

Anyway I thank Sibelius for coming into my life. Day or night, I just keep on my lap my baby MacBook Pro (running on OSX 10.6.8, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 and 4GB Memory), open Sibelius and swim in the ocean of Notes and Notations. I love it. It has been my everything. Good news is Avid/Digidesign (the maker of ProTools) bought Sibelius company. So I'm expecting that I can do more and better in the future. Recently I am only waiting for one announcement. Sibelius in iPad. Wow! Life would be more beautiful.
on 28 December 2015
was a bit complicated to make it work, I had to call up avid, but when i knew how, it worked fine and is exactly what I need for composing in my music degree.
on 1 October 2015
Fab product - according to my composer son (well he is/was still at school so not a professional composer) it is good. What do I know?
on 19 January 2015
The ultimate composing tool for any standard of musicien. Very useful, came on time and well packaged. Very pleased.
on 23 January 2016
Fast delivery and exactly what daughter needs for her o' levels and a level
on 17 January 2015
Could be clearer that you still have too obtain a key to use the software