Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 May 2012
I enjoy every track on this CD. I am a new Christian and want to learn the worship songs we sing in church. This CD really fitted the bill as we sing most, if not all, of them and I enjoy listening to Chris Tomlin's renditions of them.
on 24 January 2013
THoughtI had purchased a bootleg CD when listening to the 1st Track "How great is our God".. Its an amazing international version with contributions around the world. Brought this CD as "Indescribable" is one of my fave Chris Tomlin tracks. Really enjoying this CD as its great for individual worship. Other motorists may think I'm out of the box as I sing out loud as I drive along... It's infectious..
on 7 September 2013
Chris Tomlin is one of the best worship song writers and singers of the times and How Great Is Our God, World version gave me goose bumps, its fantastic. I saw the passion concert, video of it and it's truly Wonderful. I would say buy his albums you will not be disappointed, there songs to raise up to.
While I have a few worship oriented discs in my collection, they don’t tend to make it to my CD player that often. That’s even true of powerhouse artist Chris Tomlin, and I absolutely love some of his songs that we sing in church every week. So when I saw he was releasing How Great Is Our God: The Essential Collection, I figured this was a chance to get all the songs I love in one place.

Most best of collections like this feature a new song or two. That’s not the case here, although several songs have been rerecorded. I’m not familiar enough with Chris’ music to know for sure which tracks those are, although I can make a couple of guesses.

One of those is the World Edition of “How Great is Our God.” While Chris starts it off and sings some lines here and there, he turns the majority of the track over to worship leaders from around the world who sing a line or two in their native language. It’s different and takes a few listens to appreciate, but I do like it as it shows just how universal the body of Christ is. And the African chanting during the chorus is a great touch.

But don’t despair if you are looking for this song. Chris also closes the disc out with the song, and this time it’s all in English. I believe this is a new recording as well and builds from piano to full on drums and guitar. This anthem is a current favorite of mine, and I love it.

Another new recording is “Forever.” A choir joins Chris on this chorus taken from the Psalms. The new drum pattern is lots of fun and makes a great song even more powerful.

Two of Chris’ updating of hymns are present here. First up is “The Wonderful Cross” with features fellow worship leader Matt Redman. The verses here are the familiar hymn, but there is a new chorus that makes it feel modern. Of course, the drums and guitar help with that, too. Chris does the same thing with “Amazing Grace (My Chains are Gone),” and if possible I love this hymn even more with the new chorus. The song is mostly piano, but it somehow makes the lyrics even more powerful.

Speaking of powerful, there’s one of his newer songs, “Our God.” This anthem is based on the idea from Romans that “If God is for us, who can be against us?” It starts off with strings before more traditional piano and guitar come in and the tempo increases. It’s a great song.

It’s funny some of the songs I didn’t know I know until I got this disc. Songs like “Holy is the Lord” and “Made to Worship” are songs that I’ve heard without even knowing who had made them popular. And speaking of popular, this disc does have his classic take on “Indescribable” and “We Fall Down.”

I’m sure someone better versed in Chris’ music will have complaints about some songs that were included or excluded. All I know is that most of the songs here I like.

Yes, I did say most. There are a couple of songs that are weak. “Famous One” has never struck me as a great song. It just seems disrespectful to call God “the famous one.” Maybe it’s how cheap we’ve made fame in our society, but He is so much more than that. “God of This City” also doesn’t sit quite right with me since I feels like telling God what to do. I’m probably missing something in those songs since the rest of this disc has a proper reverence for God, but those are the tracks I skip over.

The rest of the disc is great, however. So if, like me, you want Chris Tomlin’s best songs in one place, How Great Is Our God: The Essential Collection is the disc to get.
on 18 October 2013
WOW, what a FANTASTIC worship CD, get's your mind set back in the right place, on God. Keep up the good work Chris and group. God Bless!
on 9 February 2013
Awesome christian worship and a blessing from Jesus, this is an inspirational album. You can meditate on this and pray to God
on 21 October 2012
It is what it says on the tin! An essential for any Chris Tomlin fan; Chris at his best!!! Just put the CD on and listen, although I defy you not to sing along, and be transported to another place, uplifted and inspired!
on 12 November 2012
This CD is beautiful with very inspiring music and words to bring you into the Presence of God. It truly is essential to know just How Great Is Our God and worship Jesus.
on 4 November 2012
I have never bought an album by Chris Tomlin before and I have to say its WONDERFUL STUFF, very meaningful truly spirtual.
This dose mean ofcause I must buy other albums writen by this wonderful person.
on 31 October 2013
Like all of Chris's music this CD does not disappoint. I would recommend this CD to anyone that really wants to dig deep and worship God.