on 5 August 2012
This product is so underrated in amazon UK, I just wish I knew Obi100 existed before, it'd have saved me and my family so much money. This is my 2nd Obi100 and the 1st one I bought it from amazon.com before realizing it's also available in amazon.co.uk, which means cheaper/faster shipping :) (not available in amazon.fr)
Just to tell you how much I like this produt, I have now 4 of them (2 Obi100 and 2 Obi110) that I'm sending to my family all around the globe... and I'm considering buying more. Why? because I have a landline here in France that allows me to call 104 countries for free and my Obi110 is used as gateway. So that any of my family member can call the 104 countries for free. Guess what? my ISP is called "free" :)

What about the features?
- regular US phone number at home (through Google Voice or Call Centric or ...)
- many codecs available (including G.729) = low internet bandwith countries can be reached
- web-based remote administration of the device (I can configure the Obi devices wherever they're in the world)
- easy configuration
- less than 30£
- last but not least: Obi to Obi communication!! It's peer to peer and it uses many different ports (not only 5060), thus avoiding IP/port blocking from some third world ISPs.

Just try to find an ATA that offers half of this... oh yeah, the OBi110! Consider buying this latter if you want to use it as a gateway to landline. Have a look at amazon.com, I've never seen such a high customer rating:
on 17 December 2014
I currently use this with voipfone in the UK. It all works fine but I will warn you to make sure you secure the device or you will receive hundreds of spam calls from hackers using auto dialling software to try and break in to the system and dial premium rate numbers. The manufacturer does not make this clear. This device will act as a server. I did not need to port forward it.

What happened...

I came home from work to hear my phone ringing but it wasn't ringing on the app. When I picked up, nobody there. It happened again and again every 3 minutes. When I checked the log, it had been happening for the last 3 hours - every few minutes.

Now it's secured, no more spam calls.

To help others, search google for "mango's guide to configuring the obi100" and look at the security section as the advice I followed stopped the spam calls!
on 6 April 2014
These ATAs are 'unlocked', which means one can pick and choose from services. I own three different Obihai devices, and I like the flexibility of picking my VoIP service. For example as of April 2014, Localphone (a UK-based company) offers a pay-as-you-go outgoing US number calling at 1/2 of a cent per min. (They also have subscription rates, for example, currently 800 outgoing US min for $1.60 a month.) For an incoming line, I get a free line from CallCentric, with a NY number.

For those who are not as technically inclined, there are full service providers that will automatically do the configuration and setup for you-- via the ObiTalk website.

I also use this device to connect to my own Asterisk PBX on a private internet server.

Google Voice is changing the way they allow remote connections to their service in mid May, 2014, but this OBi200 is not a one tick pony.
on 6 January 2014
Using it to route calls from my cordless Gigaset phone to my Elastix PBX system. I bought the Komodo® RJ11 Male to BT Socket Female Telephone Adapter Converter from Amazon as I live in the UK. I did however have to turn off automatic provisioning so the settings don't automatically default as I configured it from the builtin web gui rather than obitalk.com (Btw. you can make your unit completely standalone and not joined to their system whatsoever if you wish like I did)

One thing is (but it's not a fault with the product) - You cannot reject incoming telephone calls.

This is just so unfairly reviewed on Amazon in the UK! Why?
on 2 June 2013
Bought the Obi100, not to make international calls or take advantage of its many features but just to get rid of my BT line. I was apprehensive about the call quality bit this box combined with Sipgate has surpassed my expectations with crystal-clear calls. Worked straight away after configuring it on the Obitalk web portal, but needs a few more settings changed to make it work its best with UK phones - mainly to get a UK ringtone, cure Caller ID glitches and stop it pausing before it dials a number. Does come with a UK plug but not an RJ11/BT adapter, so will need to purchase one separately.

Lots of help available on the ObiTalk forums if you need it. Recommended over the Cisco/Linksys products even if you just want a simple ATA. Would be five-star except it's not configured out-of-the-box for the UK, but an adapter and a couple of hours fiddling with the settings and you're all set.
on 30 August 2014
I can not emphasis how GREAT this product is.

A max. of 5 mins to install and set up, and it works flawlessly. I have bought a 2nd unit to give to family members abroad - OBi to OBi calls are completely for free.

I also have it coupled with an Anveo SIP account for dirt cheap regular calls (eg. a 5 min long intl. call to a mobile phone now costs me about $0.05, rather than the €1,20 my Dutch land line provider usually charge.

For anyone making more than a few intl. calls per month this is an absolute MUST.

I tried a 110 unit, but couldnt make it work with the local Dutch telephone system. The 100 is IP only, and therefore much easier to get working.

10/10, very highly recommended :)
on 22 February 2014
Once it is working, it is fine with good audio, no more lag than a mobile phone, and solid connection to my SIP account. To get it working in the UK can take a bit of effort, and some basic knowledge of phone and internet tech is a real advantage. The warning about needing an adaptor from US line jack to UK phone is for real and I had to frig an adaptor, although you can buy one - see other reviews.
The setup for other VOIP providers is not obvious but would have been easier if I had noticed the setup wizard on the interface which has only the necessary settings - the rest of the interface can change a huge number of settings and bork your chances of connecting in a big way.
on 21 April 2013
I get these for all my new clients simply because they work. They're the new technology in voip and I have fewer problems with these than I have with the Linksys. In addition, I can access all my clients boxes without having to tie them down to one location. They can take their box anywhere and it works without any involvement from me. Then, of course, there's the free calls between all Obi boxes as an added bonus. Clients bring their families on-board so they can all call each other for free.
on 6 December 2012
The amount of things you can do with these is simply amazing. I have two voip providers, one provides me with free land line calls and the other allows me to call the US for 0.3 pence a minute - that is 10 minutes = 3 pence. Saves me a fortune.
Another trick is number substitution - my bank uses an 0845 number but a local (free to me) number for customers from abroad, so I simply substitute the 0845 number for the local number and generate the call from Canada - and all going on in the Obi100, all transparent and all from my house in the UK.
Got relatives abroad - get one of these for them and call their unit from yours using your home phone & broadband - completely free ! If I had the money, I'd buy the company :)
on 3 January 2016
Bought to replace a Linksys box which suddenly stopped with a bang. On first set-up, which was rapid and using Sipgate VoIP service, it worked fine but I received an endless stream of spam calls. Help from Obihai support quickly sorted out this issue, but now I cannot seem to call European mobiles so I await further advice.. That said this is a small, unobtrusive box which does the job.