5.0 out of 5 stars Great boost for someone returning to full time employment
Published on 26 Aug. 2011 by RaspberryRipple

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Good BUT...
This book is very good indeed. Its comprehensive, dealing with advice with every aspect of the job from first impressions and confidence levels down to the fundamentals of organising yourself, your boss and dealing with people politics. Its a must read.

Published on 27 Aug. 2011 by MrsClooney

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Good BUT..., 27 Aug. 2011
MrsClooney (Coventry, England) - See all my reviews

The only disappointing aspect that spoilt my enjoyment of the book is that, in every chapter, the author refers to templates and further materials that are supposedly downloadable from the website which will assist in the subject matter pertaining to that particular chapter's theme. These materials were nowhere to be found on the koganpage website. I contacted Koganpage (the publishers) and did get a response confirming that the materials had not yet been loaded to the website and that this individual would seek them out and send them to me, but that did not happen. To date, nearly a month after I finished reading the book, the materials referred to within the book have still not been loaded or received. Disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great boost for someone returning to full time employment, 26 Aug. 2011
As someone who has been working as a freelance Executive Assistant on a project by project basis for over ten years, the prospect of returning to full time employment in such a difficult market was daunting. So of course I turned to Amazon for ideas and came across Sue France's Definitive Personal Assistant & Secretarial Handbook. And it really is definitive. I particularly liked the fact that she assumes that excellent IT skills are a given and that the book really concentrates on issues that are more difficult to quantify, for example relationship management, time, organising and stress management, and dealing with difficult people and managing conflict. The more practical matters such as checklists for event management and presentations are also very welcome. Yes, if you have been working as a PA for many years (as I have), then some of it will be familiar, but to have all of the information in one reference book written in a friendly open style will be an invaluable tool to anyone venturing into the job market at this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all, 29 Aug. 2009
I am already half way through it - my edition came yesterday. It's fab - lots of great tips and I love the quotes. I am giving this book to my boss when he goes on leave - never mind just reading chapter 10 he can read the lot! I am off to log onto the website....!

Am excellent, well written 'bible' for all PAs/Secretaries. Have recommended all the PAs in our building to read and also have mentioned it to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and motiviational for PAs at all stages of their career, 23 Sept. 2011
Having met Sue France at an event recently, I finally had the opportunity to thank her in person for writing this book - it gave me the motivation to address the problems I had been experiencing in my career and helped me to feel far happier and confident in my role.

Whatever stage of your PA career , it reminds you about the importance of the basics, and prompts the reader to give further thought as to how he /she can develop personally.

It is carefully divided into well thought out sections allowing the reader to dip in and out making it excellent for refering to as a resource - not just a read from cover to cover. The style of writing is very accessible.

I particularly liked the final section which was suitable for sharing with your employer - a really useful way of starting a conversation about the employer/employee relationship.

I have recommended this book to several young women who want to start a career in the PA/Secretarial industry because I think it offers an excellent introduction and grounding.

I look forward to reading Sue's next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars the best choice, 23 Jan. 2011
I purchased this book as I wanted to improve in my new job as secretary to Directors, nurses and performance managers. I am half way through this book and it has given me alot of great advice. It has a section about PDP and minute taking. It has everything that I need to know. I am also taking notes in my note pad while reading so I can have a reminder whilst sitting at my desk. Would reccomend this a first choice for anyone in this field.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 5 April 2014
Excellent book. Clear and to the point helped me with my training course. I passed! I would recommend this book to those who choose to follow up their carrea as a EA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive Personal Assistand & Secretarial Handbook, 16 Feb. 2014
D. Sinclair - See all my reviews
I've been a PA for almost 15 years and this book was an extremely useful reminder of why it is I do what I do - to be of assistance to any self deserving boss who doesn't have the time to sweat the small stuff. Many useful reminders and tips - a useful read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 20 Aug. 2013
yes it is worth buying this book will give you confidence in all manor of areas so go ahead make that purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for all PAs, 29 Aug. 2012
I read this book a couple of years ago when I was feeling very demotivated. I was working in a job where not very much was expected of me and I did not want to fall into the trap of "living down" to someone's expectations and underperforming. Sue's book was exactly what I needed. It reminded me why I wanted to be a PA in the first place, and has practical advice which, with hindsight, seems like common sense but sometimes you just need to have it spelled out for you! Having been a PA for 10 years, there were some things which I already knew but it does not hurt to have a refresher every now and then.

I picked this book up off my bookshelf again recently as I was due to return to work following a year on maternity leave and I was feeling a bit rusty! I felt much more confident having read a few chapters and remembered what a great book it is. I really can't recommend it enough.

I also want to mention that I was not able to download the various documents referred to in the book and I contacted the author directly who was really lovely and emailed them to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars PA & Secretarial, 16 Feb. 2012
It is a very informative book, easy to read and doesn't use any techincial jargon. Gives some very useful advice to apply if you are new to the post, however I think some of the suggestions are best left until you have your feet under the table.
The delivery was speedy The packaging excellent as it was not overboard and the condition was perfect.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›