5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung HS3000 VS Sony MW600

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems to connect with everything... Now broken
Published 22 months ago by The Bear 81

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung HS3000 VS Sony MW600, 15 Dec. 2012
Samsung HS3000 VS Sony MW600

The idea behind the Sony MW600 Bluetooth was just what I was looking for, built in radio for when I'm jogging or just walking the dog and a display to show who is calling or the artist and song name playing on my iPhone without taking the phone out of my pocket. The problem was it kept transferring the call to the phone just before the call was connected, the display would freeze on the Sony Bluetooth where I would have to switch the Bluetooth off and on again before it would work properly again so I exchanged it for the Samsung HS3000 which is to me a much better Bluetooth. The Samsung feels batter quality and it works. It has a much bigger answer/call button making it much easier to answer calls without looking down to find it whilst driving which I had to constantly do with the Sony. Sometimes it would take so long to locate the answer button on the Sony whilst driving that the caller would hang up before I could answer the call.

With both Bluetooth headsets you can use your own headphones which is good because the ones provided on both are the type that push into the ears and block out all the surrounding sounds which may be good for listening to music indoors but not good if you are driving because you can not hear your passenger speaking to you and very dangerous if you are out walking or cycling because you can not hear the dangers or traffic around you.

I prefer the on/off button on the Samsung as it is a sliding switch as opposed to the Sony one that you have to press and hold until it turns on or off also the shirt clip on the Samsung is stronger so won't break as easily as the Sony one which is thin and narrow.

Multipoint on the Sony MW600. You can connect up to 3 Bluetooth devices at the same time but if you connect 2 mobile phones to it only 1 of those phones can be used for making or receiving calls, the second phone can only be used as a media player. I know this for a fact because I call Sony services who confirmed this.

Multipoint on the Samsung HS3000. You can connect 2 Bluetooth devices at the same time and if you connect 2 mobile phones to it both phones are active meaning you can make and receive calls from either phone. If your talking on one of the phones and the second phone rings you'll hear a little bleeping sound in the earpiece to notify you that there is a second incoming call. To answer the call on the second phone press the answer button on the Bluetooth once which will end the call your on and answers the call on the second phone also if you are speaking on one of the phones you can make a call on the second phone using the second handset which will automatically put the caller on the first phone on hold while you speak to the person on the second phone and as soon as you end the call on the second phone it automatically transfers you back to the caller on the first phone without cutting them off.

1* Sony MW600
5* Samsung HS3000

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Bluetooth bliss!!!!, 9 Feb. 2012
Now this is what listening to music should FEEL like... no.. not sound like, that's down to your source and ear buds, this is FEEL like!! Freedom from tangled wires with added crystal clear sound, this is bliss. Choose a pair of earbuds that sound great plugged into your source (mp3 player, phone, tablet etc...) then add this baby. You won't regret it !! Though it needs line of sight to the source for best reception, there's no discernible sound degredation through earbuds, computer speakers or HiFi.

Bought for the train trip to and from work, the function buttons, though small, are easily accessible and over A2DP, easily control play, pause & volume on my phone. The built in voice prompts also keep you informed of status, in use. Small and unintrusive, the HS3000 allows very easy pairing (no code required) to my phone, tablets and PCs.

The only problem now is my next techie present to self will have to be a bluetooth enabled mp3 player....

Update:... Sony Walkman NWZ-S765....

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to believe it's Bluetooth, 7 Dec. 2012
I own two of these - one black and one white. I bought the second as a spare in case my old one died. It's small, uncomplicated, light and clips firmly and securely onto clothing. Pairing is a doddle with multiple devices (though only 2 at any one time) - I have connected it to several phones, several PCs, my Asus Transformer Prime tablet, my Sony PSP and my Sony mp3 player without any issues whatsoever. Useful voice prompts tell you when you have switched on the device, switched off the device, connected to a Bluetooth device and disconnected from a Bluetooth device.

Because of its size, the buttons are awkward to use but I don't care. Because when used with an apt-X capable device (I use mine with a Samsung Galaxy Note 2) and high quality IEMs (I use Ultimate Ears Triple-Fi 10s with Comply tips) the combination is so awesome it's hard to believe you're listening to IEMs through a wireless Bluetooth connection. In fact, this set-up sounds better (at least to my ears) than plugging the IEMs directly into my phone. In particular when listening to lossless FLAC files, the sound is very balanced, with a dynamic, exciting presentation, nice detail and an engrossing three-dimensional soundstage. Ensuring a good seal for the earphones, the bass is taut and deep. Vocals have presence and texture. Highs sound clear and well defined (not "splashy"). I would suggest however that, in my experience, highly compressed sources show up flaws far more readily. Note that as far as I know, neither my Note 2 nor the HS3000 use the lossless version of the apt-X codec, but they are still better than any other portable listening set-up I've ever had. Of course it won't beat a top-class pair of wired headphones connected to a decent system but at the moment I'm not likely to get much better for unencumbered wireless listening on public transport.

Whilst I bought this device just for listening to music wirelessly on the commute, I have on occasion used the call function. A larger and much easier to access button is positioned on the front to answer calls. Sound at both ends is perfectly adequate in my experience. The microphone is positioned at the top of the device and as long as it's not pointing downwards or too far from your face (e.g your belt) it is able to pick up your voice very well.

To summarise, positives are:

(a) small;
(b) light;
(c) apt-X capable;
(d) has a decent battery life (I would estimate maybe 8-10 hours use per charge and 2-3 hours to recharge from empty);
(e) perfectly acceptable talk quality at both ends (though I have not used this feature an awful lot - I bought it for music);
(f) at least with the IEMs I use and the apt-X codec, it sounds utterly fantastic for what it is;
(g) sounds good even with non apt-X devices (my old Samsung Galaxy S2)
(h) is an absolute bargain at just over £30 on Amazon.

Downsides are:

(a) due to size, buttons are awkward to use, even if you have normal size fingers (you need to use your fingernails);
(b) again due to size, could be very easy to lose (but at least cheap enough to replace without too much pain)

All in all, the HS3000 really comes across as a bargain if you need the convenience of wireless and still want excellent sound quality on the move. It seems to be capable of stepping up and performing brilliantly when paired with a decent source and/or decent output. But to make the most of it you will want to both: (1) replace the dire bundled earphones with a decent pair of headphones/earphones; and (2) ensure you use an apt-X capable music player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung HS3000 Bluetooth Stereo Headset, 25 Mar. 2014
I initially purchased the sony sbh52 from amazon but returned it a few days later. The music quality was excellent but the call quality was appalling. The mic picked up every noise in the background leading to an unpleasant calling experience. If you drive or are in a noisy environment and plan to make calls.give the sony sbh52 a miss. Apart from the call quality it does everything else it says on the box.
I replaced the Sony SBH52 with the Samsung HS3000. Music quality is excellent ,on par with the sony, if you use good earphones. The ones that samsung supply with the HS3000 don't do any justice to the quality of the output from the unit.
I was pleasantly surprised at the great call quality. The noise cancellation certainly kicks in cancelling almost all of the background noise. Callers told me they thought I was in a room when in fact I was driving.
I'm very happy with the Samsung HS3000.

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems to connect with everything... Now broken, 1 July 2013
I wanted this to connect with a bluetooth transmitter that I have plugged into my TV. It worked first time so now I can listen to it without disturbing my wife. Bonus is it also works with my HTC One so I have wireless music down the gym. Distance works to about 6 metres then it cuts out. Excellent value and headphones are also pretty good that are supplied with it even though I wasn't looking to have headphones included. Mic works well too for phone calls. Update: clip on the back has broken already. It is very fragile so after three trips to the gym the clip has had enough. Still useful to listen to TV wirelessly in bed but now half the use it had before. Annoying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great device and simple to use., 21 Sept. 2011
L. W. Newton "lwn83" (Nottingham, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My old Bluetooth ear piece was tinny and lost connection very easily, but this Samsung device is superb, simple and easy to set-up with auto pairing, no more messing about having to pair the device every time you switch it on. my phone (Nokia 5530 express music) picked the device up straight away without any fuss.

I am impressed with the sound quality of this head set, music sounds great and is stereo, the device has 3 preset sound modes, the only let down is a little weakness in volume but that don't really bother me.

I been using this device on my bike, no more messy cable , the only problem I have is the buttons should be more pronounced as the can be a little fiddly to find the correct one.

Making and receiving calls is easy, just the push of a button and voice activation.

The headset comes with a mains charger, OK pair of headphones with a short cable and user instructions.

Overall a decent headset, I like the voice prompts and tiny size of this device, the button response is slow but that could be my aging phone!!

4 Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, 8 Nov. 2012
I bought this to replace my old BlueMusicPro headset, which if they're still selling them is a good cheap option, I only replaced it as I had it for 2 years and the battery wasn't lasting as long as it used to.

This time I decided to spend a bit of extra money on a good one and that is what I got. I had a Samsung S2 and now an S3 and it connects to them straight away when it is turned on, had to select it the first time from the bluetooth list but after that any time my BT is on and I turn on the headset it just connects no hassle or pressing extra buttons to get it to connect.

The battery life out of it is good, usually lasts a week of medium use, I use a different headset when I'm at work so only use this one when I'm out and about.

The range on it is very good, I've gotten it to work even when my phone was in another room, though it did get a bit spotty but still pretty impressive for bluetooth.

My only issue with it are the buttons, they are on the sides and not particularly prominent or distinguishable if you are used to pressing on touch alone.
The forward/ play / back button are all one piece of plastic with only a slight dip down for the play part, so if you want to pause a song it is very easy to hit forward or back.

Another issue I've found is changing the volume, as it is on the opposite side to the f/p/b button I find myself putting my fingers on that side to hold it while I change the volume with my thumb and end up skipping a song.

The call button on the front is also one touch call so unless you only set up the headset to audio only and not to the phone it is very easy to call the last person on your list, but turning off the phone functionality defeats the purpose if having this.

Overall I really like this headset, if the buttons were more spaced out and more rigid (preferably shaped) then it would be perfect.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing for the price, 1 Jan. 2014
Colin Main (UK) - See all my reviews
These headphones consist of two parts which I will review separately:

1) The ear-plugs.
These are a very basic quality and I find it very difficult to get a good fit in my ear. Sound quality is poor - tinny and lacking bass, but there is a build in bass-boost that almost makes up for this. The lead is not very long, which is exactly what you need if you are going to clip the unit to your collar or lapel, but if you want to clip it to your belt (which I do underneath a waterproof jacket when walking the dog) you may well need an extension.

2) The reveiver unit.
This is OK at best but is over-priced for its quality. The biggest button on the unit is the most useless (to me) - the "call" button. Press it once and it re-dials your most recent number; not much use unless you are 100% certain who you last called. Press it twice (or perhaps it is a long-press) and it does something else equally useless (to me). To me the "phone" features of this are unneccessary but the way they are implemented mean they simply get in the way - it is almost impossible to pick the unit up without pressing a button. MUCH more useful would be to have the main button as a "play/pause" button.

Overall the unit is overpriced and, whilst it might be good for someone who always only phones one person, it was a bad purchase for me and will soon be replaced by something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for hard of hearing users..., 9 Mar. 2013
Paul Lewis (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I use a Samsung SII, and am hard of hearing. I use the Oticon Zests in both ears with either geemarc ear hooks or the direct input shoes.

This little device has it's own microphone and connects using your blue tooth compatible phone. It has a 3.5mm socket allowing you to connect ordinary MP3 headphones, your direct connection cable for your hearing aids, or your ear hooks/neck loop for telecoil listening.

What's great about it? It has volume control, and with the volume up on max, connected via my hearing aids, it's way too loud for me (i have a -55 DB loss binaurally) at only 75%. I also can put my phone in my pocket or view my emails/calendar while on a call, with any cables coming from the phone to get in my way.Since getting it, it has made mobile phone calls so much easier, as i have no interference, no problems finding the 'best place to try and hold it above my ear at an obscure angle', and the HS3000 has it's own microphone.

the HS3000 is smaller than my thumb, and clips to your shirt or jacket. It also supports media audio from your smart phone, and has a call answer button, volume buttons, track pause, next track and previous track buttons.

Seems to work excellently with my Geemarc ear hooks and Samsung SII. I'm well impressed

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect..!!, 10 Oct. 2012
Love this little device, with it's 3.5mm jack it allows connection of any preferred head phones whilst still enabling calls with it's built in microphone. It can connect two phones simultaneously, so you can listen to your PC, MP3 player or phone and then take a phone call from the other phone seamlessly. The clip on the back is great so you can have the microphone facing you for a clearer call etc. The unit it small and unfortunately this means that the buttons are also, which can make it difficult to change tracks, adjust the volume etc. but it doesn't take too long to get used to this. The voice command function is quite impressive but I don't use this much - I prefer to press buttons.
My only gripe is that the unit gives voice information which for me is a little too quiet.

Overall a fantastic product.

(PS the dearer top of the range version uses a micro USB port for the headset instead of the 3.5mm jack which means you can't use anything other than the supplied head phones)