5.0 out of 5 stars Great Flour
Published on 19 Jun 2012 by Arbella

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very white
This is the third sack that I have purchased. The first sack was nice and white, the second had a very small amount of brown in it, but this sack is more brown than white - quite disappointing for flour that is described as 'white flour'. So I will not be ordering this one again. Otherwise - this is a very convenient way to buy flour. It always arrives on time and is...
Published 14 days ago by Mrs. A. James

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Flour, 19 Jun 2012
This review is from: Bacheldre Watermill Stoneground Strong Bakers White Flour 16 kg (Grocery)
I used to buy flour in bulk from a modern mill and it was fine but nothing special. Recently I have been experimenting with home breadmaking - using different techniques and ingredients and I can honestly say this flour produces a bread that tastes much better than the ordinary 'run of the mill' flours on offer at the supermarkets. I do alot of baking, so am really pleased to be able to buy in bulk and have it delivered. My next experiment is with their organic flour but I would recommend this one without hesitation; it tastes great, is very reasonably priced and you don't have to lug flour home with the shopping every week!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top drawer, 4 Jan 2012
Jason M. Webber "Jason" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bake a lot so to be able to purchase this much good quality flour with no delivery cost (on super saver) was excellent value. I will be ordering again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 5 Aug 2013
The product is very good, I've baked some fantastic bread with this flour. As I bake a lot it's great to know that I have plenty in ! My one and only criticism is that when the flour is delivered it's not as shown on Amazon, it's in a plain white bag (rather like a cement bag) and not as detailed on the photo.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice flour with brown flecks, 12 July 2012
This is is the first time I have bought Bacheldre Mill flour, and I shall be buying it again. However, when I had my bread risen and ready for the oven, I noticed little brown flecks in it, which I think are wheatgerm. This means the bread is not completely white, which is not a problem for me, but which other customers should be aware of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy baking :), 7 Jun 2012
HI All,

I started baking my own bread a while ago and kind of got the bug. Due to the amounts of flour I was using I wanted to buy a bulk sack to save money and I am really glad I did.

This flour is a really good quality strong bread flour, and you can taste this in the breads that you bake. I have used this now to make excellent white loaves, baguettes, pizza, naan, pita and sourdough. I even used this flour to make pasta with, and had excellent results.

I am a hand baker, but I am sure that this flour would be equally as good using a bread machine. Also if you subscribe to this item you save money and postage charges, and they automatically send me a 16kg sack every 2 months, but you can specify the duration to suit your baking needs. A white loaf now costs me about 50p, and tastes so much better!

Highly recommended and I will also be trying some of Bacheldre's other specialist flours :

Happy baking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 23 May 2012
The product arrived promptly and as described, the packaging was damaged and torn but luckily the product came in a airtight plastic bag so no damage done to product packaging and this i attribute to delivery anyway and not manufacturer. This is my third 16kg bag of flower from this supplier and i have no complaints its very good quality at a very good price. i would reccommend to any pizza or bread makers out there, try the malted flour makes great country style bread

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD PRODUCT, 5 Jun 2012
This flour is very good & despatch also very good got my order in four days was colected & delivered on same day well packed & it also makes good bread had to change the mix a bit as not all flour is the same would use again when i run out.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 17 April 2012
started to make my own bread brought the white flour very pleased with it and the results good tasty bread, i would recommend it , had a couple hicups at first nothing to do with the flour , just getting the ingrediants right

5.0 out of 5 stars Stoneground Flour, 15 Feb 2012
Mr. S. Bigham (Chesterfield, UK) - See all my reviews
What a delight it was to taste the first bread cobs I made using this Bacheldre Watermill Stoneground Strong Bakers White flour, such a wonderful flavour. I've since made many more for my neighbour and a few friends, who are all of the same opinion that it tastes great. I have made several loaves, milk rolls, scotch morning rolls and I have tried mixing it with strong brown flour, all came out well and delicious. This flour is well worth a try and at a great price with free delivery, you can't go wrong. I'll be having more when this is gone. The delivery was brilliant, I put my order in just after Saturday lunch and I received my flour before lunch on Monday, how's that for speed, great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Converted, 4 Jan 2012
I've been taking my bread baking 'seriously' for a year now and it's become so serious, I've needed to invest in a sack. (Not that stocking up every other week at the supermarket for my leading brand non-stoneground flour is a real nuisance, but this sack does represent real value kilo per kilo.) Other such brands, such as Doves Farm and Shipton Mills, although available in the shops, naturally charge high shipping charges for their flours direct, and I've never heard of Bacheldre Watermill, so why not? Organic flours have been outside my budget, and I've been curious to see the difference, if any.

Well, let me say, unashamedly that I was bitten by scepticism by organic flour. I once believed flour made the bread. As the fundamental of any loaf, you'd easily think this. But it's not. I had sleepless nights for months, frustrated and embarrassed, by my amateur loaves, breaking and subsequently binning loaf after loaf that tore - dense, heavy, doughy, no sweet sound for me - the 'crackle' - which defines the brilliant handmade loaf.

I had some books (so many are bad), the 'method' (endless kneading, proofing that was pushed to the maximum), the ingredients (some very cheap), but I'd little knowledge. Now armoured with more knowledge and experience, thanks to premier bakers such as Richard Bertinet (Dough is essential for a novice baker) and Dan Lepard (The Handmade Loaf is not for the novice, Short and Sweet is excellent), I've been dabbling with my technique and my ingredients. And even I can bake a yummy white loaf within 5 hours, from the moment I weigh out the flour to turning out my loaf onto a cooling rack, that elusive white loaf that foxed me for far too long.

Baking superlative bread whose aroma makes your mouth water, your empty stomach swell, and your eyes glaze over as you peek through the artisan bakery's shop window is simply not as simple as believed - mixing the 4 basic ingredients essential for any loaf - flour, salt, water and yeast/levain, but an art, a long craft that requires practice. Practice and more practice.

Your supermarket flour, your packets of instant yeast sachet, your food websites all tell you the same things - the same 'recipe' and the same 2-3 hour method with minimal interventon or prooving. I'm not going to argue you can produce a good-ish loaf in such a time frame, but is it excellent? Is it sweetly magnificent? No.

But Bacheldre has made me question this, I've made all my usual bakes - from enriched sweet dough to an overnight fermented sponge loaf to excellent, improved results. I can no longer deny despite my protests, that this flour has improved each bake. So many little, or major, things has improved my homemade baking, from improvising with a hot plate, to gently 'turning' and resting the dough repeatedly, but this flour has been the most effective.

Each batch of flour will be different as wheat crops changes with the seasons and environment, just like wine, cheese, and more. It's not about the brand but the batch, but I'll be back for more.

The only setback? Well, as novel as it is to have a sack and feel like some professional baker, it's still a sack. It needs a cool place free from damp, and it has a shelf-life. But if you've space, you've nothing to lose by trying stone-ground flour.