Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 19 October 2014
very interesting DVD
on 14 November 2011
Even though I don't class myself as George's number 1 fan, I have FAR more of his work in my record collection than is addressed in this film. Cloud 9 in particular (a VERY succesful time for George, with a number 1 hit and topping the bill at the Prince's Trust), needed more mention. I was left with the feeling that, as with "all things Beatle", this is the "approved" version of events. It reminded me a bit of Yoko's version of John in New York, rather than the reality that Walls & Bridges was clearly NOT a lost weekend. If you have the Beatles Anthology you will already have some of the interviews herein, and if you're a George fan you will be aware of (better) alternative clips which could have been used. (You will also be aware of course that the REAL disputes / arguments in the Get Back sessions were about John's silences annoying George and not that Paul guitar solo clip we're always presented with. Not to mention the fact John was often conveniently absent when a George track was being recorded. But none of this fits with the now accepted "official view").

So this film is, for me, a lost opportunity. The fans would have done it better.
on 5 November 2011
Although I was excited with anticipation since the moment I heard from this film (and the big book - a much smaller book would have sufficed, but maybe the only worth was in the design itself and not in the contents), now that I finally got them all I can say is that it has been a great disappointment. Many of the interviews with George seem to be leftovers of The Beatles Anthology, but the overall result is far from as satisfactory as The Beatles Anthology itself. Being a film by Martin Scorsese, I expected something special, but there's really nothing special here and, in fact, I cannot see what role has Mr Scorsese played here at all.

I'm sorry to say this, but I am left with the impression that both the book and the film, with the aid of all the hype in the publicity, were made with the sole intention of making easy money. From now on, all the publicity I get from [...] will be taken with a (large) pinch of salt.
on 11 March 2015
He can do no wrong
on 9 October 2011
For folks and fans who have followed George's DVDs (The Beatles Anthology, The Travelling Willbury's plus DVDs included with CD releases) there was too much here that I had seen before. If I hadn't seen it before it was because it wasn't considered good enough for the DVDs mentioned. Do we really need another 'take' of George Martin's joke about his tie?
A few home videos, that George would probaly have hated being shown..soooooo much money.
A shame. I imagined that 'four years in the making' would have given us something better. Mr Scorcesse was obviously doing a lot of other 'things'.
Sorry. I'm a Beatle fan. This won't win any awards for enlighenment.
on 12 November 2011
This video contains lovely images of George from Beatles up to recent interview after his death. Extract from valuable interviews of George himself and his close friends, family members. Audience get to know George the great talents behind the scenes, not only his guitar and music, but his passions, his spiritual journeys and his ever lasting love to and from the ones who are fortunate to be close to him in this material world. Love Ringo's interview for George. A must collection for George's fans.
on 11 November 2015
Lovely to have.
on 15 April 2012
I'm not a fan of George Harrison- though I admire him and his fellow Beatles. I found this a fascinating insight into an era that I was too young to understand (the "Swinging Sixties"). It was amazing to see the footage of the Beatles and their contemporaries in their heyday, and to see how George's music changed over his life. A "must see" for anyone interested in music.
on 2 October 2014
Watchable DVD
on 9 October 2011
Sadly, this was not all it could have been, from my perspective. I wouldn't like to say it was milking the cash cow that was, in some ways, the whole Beatle, ex Beatle thing, but it certainly did not live up to the expectations of it's much heralded release.

It gave no further insights in to GH, which may mean that there are no further insights.

For me the stand out extract was the stabbing episode, which for me did shed further light on the subject, but it was 'glossed' over, somewhat, in my view.

There isn't much here that most people would not know about or that couldn't be found by searching google. GH was a musician and in many ways a millionaire philanthropist and, forgive me for saying this, not a saint.

If there are any skeletons in his cupboard they continue to be firmly locked away and perhaps that's for the best, as far as this film goes nothing to learn and nothing new to glean.Oh, and very very little of his music which is even more of a disappointment.

Doubly Disappointing.