on 13 July 2012
Like many other reviews, I concur that these headphones are great, (and not just for the relatively low price). Lots of positives: eye-catching; great, punchy sound; good base; comfortable; novel build materials; pleasant company ethics even! BUT these little buggers have one design fault; (and your product is only as strong as its weakest point), namely: poorly secured wires!
After reading multiple reviews I can see how others were as perplexed as I was when, after a matter of months of fairly prudent and delicate use; keeping them in their little cotton case etc., one or both of the headphones cuts out. Upon further inspection I noticed that the only thing absorbing any naturally-occurring tugging on the wires is a little knot someone has tied in the cable just inside the perfectly-formed recycled, wooden casing, (presumably to stop it being pulled out of the earpiece), which, of course, is not secure enough and eventually means the wires slowly work themselves out of the back of the casing over time and eventually the connecting end tears from the soldering points at the back of the speaker!

Fail.
77 comments|31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 August 2012
It's such a shame I can't give a better review to these. I want to give them four stars, but they're barely getting two. I've owned a pair of these since mid June 2012. Yesterday only early August 2012, they stopped supplying sound to the left ear unless I waggle the jack in the socket of my iPod into a very precise position. I've tried different headphones and they work fine with the iPod so I think its the headphones.

I liked:
* The material on the cables is just so good at not getting tangled, I don't know why it's the norm for other makes to still use sticky rubber cable coating
* The buds are comfortable and you get a few different sizes to experiment with. I could wear them on long journeys and they didn't hurt.
* They were good noise cancellers, meaning I could clearly hear the spoken word from podcasts and audiobooks in even the noisiest environments
* They were good insulators, meaning they shielded others from the noises I was listening to, especially when I sat next to someone on public transport or the office
* They were admirably unusual in colour, design and materials. So many people commented on them when they saw me use them.

I didn't like:
* Despite taking good care of them, with no careless tugs/jerks/manhandling, after not even two months, the left headphone has stopped working unless I jiggle the jack in my iPod. Then when I start moving around, the sound goes again.

Having searched around on the internet, it seems I'm not alone in experiencing this problem. Sudden unexplained loss of sound to one earphone appears to be relatively common. I am tempted to chalk this up to a bad batch and try and just get a new pair. Up until yesterday I thought they were great, and they're not expensive. But I don't want to be burned twice. I'm now also considering a replacement brand.
VINE VOICEon 21 November 2011
Style Name: Lily|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was slightly surprised and confused when I saw these were branded with Bob Marley, a feeling enhanced when I actually received them to find next to no relevance to Marley whatsoever - seems more like trying to sell something off a name rather than make it appropriately relevant.

But onto the actual product:

The first that that strikes you is the colour - in this case bright pink which isn't too much of an issue for me but if you don't like bright colours these certainly aren't the earphones for you. These come with 3 different buds to fit your ears and whilst they do cover the usual little, medium, large categories, the material seemed to be slightly less flexible than my other JVC and Sennheiser buds which makes getting the perfect fit slightly more difficult. I also found it slightly difficult to get the rubber on/off as it is a very snug fit which, whilst good for not losing them, also makes it a bit of a pain trying to swap the sizes around.

The cords is a nice black wire which does have a premium feel to it, although it was slightly too stiff for my liking as I prefer to tuck the wires away whilst listening and with these I could still feel them. The connections seem rugid enough for every day use when commuting and they also come with a convenient and well made carry bag which I always tend to use to keep them in good condition. I do, however, think that even not using this carry bag, the connections should survive quite well if you just throw them into your bag/pocket when commuting.

In terms of sound quality, I found these adequate but not fantastic. Compared to my other earphones these offer little more than my £12 JVC and when tested on both my phone and MP3 player, they were outperformed by my Sennheiser which were only a couple of pounds more expensive. The lower end works fine, but too often the higher-end sounds didn't make it through and I was left with a lot of bass and not enought treble across a whole range of music, from Mozart to Eminem (yes, I have an eclectic taste in music!). And this wasn't improved by playing with the equalisers on the devices either - they just seem to be a bit too bass heavy.

All-in-all these are a decent set of earphones which feel quality but struggle to deliver sound quality. I'm sure the eco-friendly marketing will appeal to some, but if you are looking for perfomance these struggle to match some of the competition in the same price bracket.

***EDIT - Having used these for a couple of months now, mainly on commute with the volume turned up to counteract the poor noise cancellation, I'm afraid they have stopped working properly. Even on the commute, I take good care of my earphones and have had a pair for well over a year that have worked perfectly. Unfortunately the left earphone has just completely stopped working and I can get no sound whatsoever. The right one still works fine but what is the point of having earphones with only one working. I don't know exactly what has caused this problem and the cord and earphones appear to be in perfect condition from the outside but the left bud doesn't work. It is very disappointing and whilst I may have just got a dodgy one it seems slightly odd that a product proclaiming eco-friendly nature essentially will be discarded after only a couple of months use.***
44 comments|9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 October 2012
I needed a new pair of earphones, reasonably affordable and worth the price. I read some reviews on these Earphones then ordered a pair then decided to read on further reviews. Many reviews state that these earphones lasted them a week or two, other reviews only stated the music experience that these earphones provided them but nothing on the durability of the earphones. I thought surely if I buy these earphones and take care of them they'll last me at least a few months... Sadly not.

I was heavily considering cancelling the order but by the time I was about to cancel the order it had already been dispatched.

Very nice looking earphones which came in impressive packaging, attractive bright colours and fabric wires which to me feels a bit cheap but I didn't expect anything better from an earphone for this price which is fine because it really didn't bother me that much. Many other reviews may argue otherwise but the wires did tangle very easily for me and were always kinked which drives me mad with earphone wires. The wires may have annoyed me a little bit but I still loved the earphones and was amazed by the price of them. Bass lovers will absolutely adore these earphones because they do provide punchy deep bass and the vocals sound absolutely fine through them. Noise isolating from these earphones were good, isolated noise as supposed to.

Anyway moving on to the sad truth of the review...

As much as I love these affordable, attractive and very comfortable earphones which by the price I am amazed by the quality I am sad to admit in all honesty that these earphones only lasted literally 2 days. Not fully broken, both earphones work however the left earphone needs to be pressed and angled in a certain way after me having to adjust the wire position for a few minutes which now got me to personally understand why these earphones have a reputation of breaking easily.

As much as I love these earphones I think it's absolutely ridiculous that these only lasted 2 days which kind of made me chuckle a little bit from how it could be manufactured so poorly. Of course this review was from a personal view, I'm not stopping anyone from buying these earphones but take this review as a massive warning, you might get very lucky but sadly and personally I wouldn't risk it, go look for better quality earphones, pay a little more for maybe People Get Ready earphones but please take my words into consideration as I'm planning to get a refund.

Finally a note to House Of Marley, please fix this issue.
on 12 April 2012
Great sounding headphones which are guaranteed to fail on you. I'm on my second set which have just failed in the same way as the first, the electrical connection inside the earphones fail with only careful, normal use. This is a real manufacturers design issue.
on 6 September 2012
Hey I bought these headphones round about a month ago and they where brilliant! But then then the trouble started.
First the left headphone stopped working and I believe the wire inside has loosened. Then a few weeks later the right headphone died too, now they only work on the odd occasion after some intense wiggling of the wire.
Over all the headphones are Excellent in design love the whole eco-friendly theme going on like the wood.
But the length of time I've had them was very disappointing.
If anybody has had the same problem could you please comment on my review thanks. :)
Jack.
on 3 October 2012
I bought these earphones as a present for a family member who was really pleased with the quality of the product and found the fact that they were eco friendly very appealing. After less than a month, however, they broke, with a fuzzing sound in the left earbud before they both became silent. I was sent a replacement but in even less time the exact same thing happened again. Not sure if it was a bad batch but I am very disappointed at having to return two pairs but the overall quality was good for the low cost, will try another pair some time in the future when a new batch may have been ordered in.
on 6 July 2012
These House of Marley in-ear ear phones are deffinite excellent with the price considered!
First of all they come in a beautiful packaging made of - like the product - entirely recycled/recyclable material. In my opinion, when a company puts a lot of effort into the packaging it means that they care about their product and probably put effort into making the product high quality.
The earphones have an aesthetically pleasing design which is unique and stylish. The body of the phones are made of real wood and the chord is a fabric which makes a nice change to some of the plastic wires out there. They are also non-tangle; this doesnt go to say that if you screw them up and deliberately tangle them they won't get into few knots, but even then, knots are not tight and the tangle can be fixed with little manipulation. This is a plus side as it helps to prevent shorts in the wiring.
The earbuds come with two alternate sizes (bigger and smaller), however I personally found the middle size the most comfortable - of course this is down to preference, but I'm sure at least one size will suit everybody. They are also very comfortable and don't fall out of my ears at all.

AUDIO: The audio quality of these earphones is exceptionally high for the price. The earphones happen to be a little heavy on the base, this is perfect for many slower genres of music as the base is detailed and sounds really good with genres like reggae (as they were intended to specialise in), rock, classical, etc. However the base can blend a bit with very high paced trebley songs. This doesn't mean you'll be disgusted if you listen to Dubstep with these, but you might prefer something different if that's what you listen to. I also found that the earphones were very good at listening to films and the detailed base actually makes it sound like your in a cinema.
The earphones can go very loud also which is a plus, as you can here the quiter songs easily, and if it's too loud... just turn down the volume...
The earbuds are indeed sound isolating, this means that they block out outside noises and keep in the sound from the earphones; making them perfect for travelling on trains etc.
One downside with the chord, as I read in other reviews and then confirmed with myself is that the chord has the ability to absorb sounds. This means that if you tap or rub the chord with the phones in your ears, you can hear some subtle noise, some may find this annoying, but it doesn't bother me as it's subtle and you can't hear it when music is playing.

I give these earphones a 4 out of 5, I would certainly recommend them as they are exceptionally cheap (in price) and are good quality and stylish!
on 13 April 2012
I purchased these recently as a replacement for my old Sennheiser CX300s. What first attracted me was he look of them - I'd never seen a headphone with a wooden casing before. I thought the cord material was a nice touch too. I was forever getting the soft rubber cord on my Sennheisers knotted up and caught on my clothes. Tired of having the buds constantly pulled out my ears, I hoped these would bring an end to that. The improvement is fantastic. The cord tends to glide over everything and untangles with little to no effort when removed from my pocket.

Although not so integral, I spent some time choosing between the colour options. Eventually I settled on a pair of 'lily' ones. Okay, the pink is a bit much for me, but the wood looks gorgeous - by far the best looking out of the 4 options. The wood has a lovely rich colour which surprised me and the pink is normally hidden in my ear anyway. However, the piece of plastic directing the cord out of the bud lets these headphones down a bit. It looks cheap, in comparison to the rest of the design. It's not so easy to see in the picture, but the seams are very visible and the plastic is slightly translucent. It's only aesthetics, but it seems a shame. Also, the printed logo on the back of the bud comes off extremely easily. I actually wanted to get rid of it though, so it's good for me. I planned to get rid of it before I paid for them, as I thought the colour ruined the look of the wood. A couple of scratches with your nail and you'd never know it was there. Just beautiful wood. Despite the plastic bit looking cheap, a really great looking headphone overall.

The headphones seem well-built. The rubber/plastic casing around the jack and where the cord splits feels much more substantial and solid than my Sennheisers. Everything in general just feels that bit firmer on these.

The rubber bud tips, for exampe. The material was a little firmer than my Sennheisers, which were super-comfy. Although I was wearing the best sized tips for my ears, these headphones gave me a headache after wearing them for an hour or so. This was easily resolved by exchanging them for the softer black tips on my Sennheisers. Now they feel great and I could totally rid them of the garish pink that I was liked from the start.

I could enjoy the sound quality a lot more now the fit was corrected, and I am very pleased with the results. The sound it really good, very clear and, after a bit of tweaking of the EQ on my MP3 player, nicely balanced. I'm not sure I can recognise the differences between these and my old pair. Either way, I'm very satisfied with the quality.

I've not had the headphones long enough to comment on their durability, but so far I have been impressed with them. They might be a little uncomfortable for some but, they don't tangle, they're solidly made, the sound quality is really good and, of course, I they look fantastic. Not bad for a tenner!
VINE VOICEon 22 October 2011
Style Name: Lily|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Everything about this Eco-friendly product deserves high praise. The Marley Jammin' Collection is a range of audio products that support the 1Love Organization, set up in the artists memory.

I note from the company website an impressive looking array of unique and attractive headphone designs - a refreshing change from the standard black plastic often produced by major brands.

Sound Quality:
Rich punchy bass, clear vocals and reminiscent of a product several times the price.
I listen to audio for a large chunk of my day and comfort, quality and of course sound is highly important. These Noise-Isolating headphones come with 3 tip sizes and have a unique wooden housing. Yes, wooden housing - a great idea! The headphones are made using recycled/Eco-Friendly material wherever possible. A handy carry pouch is also included. The chord is not plastic but fabric, an endearing touch.

The base is deep, some may find it slightly overpowering but it depends of course on musical taste and the music of Marley would certainly fit into this category.

I look forward to using these regularly and I have absolute confidence in the build quality. The current RRP of around £20 is a complete bargain and the fact that it goes towards helping the Marley family charitable organisation presents a very good reason to make a purchase.

See one answered question