5.0 out of 5 stars Ohhhh aren't they pretty
Published on 17 Nov 2011 by Best Crime Books

1.0 out of 5 stars This will fail on you
Great sounding headphones which are guaranteed to fail on you. I'm on my second set which have just failed in the same way as the first, the electrical connection inside the earphones fail with only careful, normal use. This is a real manufacturers design issue.
Published on 12 April 2012 by Si

1.0 out of 5 stars This will fail on you, 12 April 2012

2.0 out of 5 stars The disappointing truth, 15 Oct 2012
I needed a new pair of earphones, reasonably affordable and worth the price. I read some reviews on these Earphones then ordered a pair then decided to read on further reviews. Many reviews state that these earphones lasted them a week or two, other reviews only stated the music experience that these earphones provided them but nothing on the durability of the earphones. I thought surely if I buy these earphones and take care of them they'll last me at least a few months... Sadly not.

I was heavily considering cancelling the order but by the time I was about to cancel the order it had already been dispatched.

Very nice looking earphones which came in impressive packaging, attractive bright colours and fabric wires which to me feels a bit cheap but I didn't expect anything better from an earphone for this price which is fine because it really didn't bother me that much. Many other reviews may argue otherwise but the wires did tangle very easily for me and were always kinked which drives me mad with earphone wires. The wires may have annoyed me a little bit but I still loved the earphones and was amazed by the price of them. Bass lovers will absolutely adore these earphones because they do provide punchy deep bass and the vocals sound absolutely fine through them. Noise isolating from these earphones were good, isolated noise as supposed to.

Anyway moving on to the sad truth of the review...

As much as I love these affordable, attractive and very comfortable earphones which by the price I am amazed by the quality I am sad to admit in all honesty that these earphones only lasted literally 2 days. Not fully broken, both earphones work however the left earphone needs to be pressed and angled in a certain way after me having to adjust the wire position for a few minutes which now got me to personally understand why these earphones have a reputation of breaking easily.

As much as I love these earphones I think it's absolutely ridiculous that these only lasted 2 days which kind of made me chuckle a little bit from how it could be manufactured so poorly. Of course this review was from a personal view, I'm not stopping anyone from buying these earphones but take this review as a massive warning, you might get very lucky but sadly and personally I wouldn't risk it, go look for better quality earphones, pay a little more for maybe People Get Ready earphones but please take my words into consideration as I'm planning to get a refund.

Finally a note to House Of Marley, please fix this issue.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great with one fatal fault..., 13 July 2012
Like many other reviews, I concur that these headphones are great, (and not just for the relatively low price). Lots of positives: eye-catching; great, punchy sound; good base; comfortable; novel build materials; pleasant company ethics even! BUT these little buggers have one design fault; (and your product is only as strong as its weakest point), namely: poorly secured wires!
After reading multiple reviews I can see how others were as perplexed as I was when, after a matter of months of fairly prudent and delicate use; keeping them in their little cotton case etc., one or both of the headphones cuts out. Upon further inspection I noticed that the only thing absorbing any naturally-occurring tugging on the wires is a little knot someone has tied in the cable just inside the perfectly-formed recycled, wooden casing, (presumably to stop it being pulled out of the earpiece), which, of course, is not secure enough and eventually means the wires slowly work themselves out of the back of the casing over time and eventually the connecting end tears from the soldering points at the back of the speaker!

Fail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ohhhh aren't they pretty, 17 Nov 2011
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: House of Marley Smile Jamaica In-Ear Headphones - Lily (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I admit, I have never understood how people can part with so much money for earphones. There is a market out there where you can (should you choose) pay 100 for a set of earphones!!!However, having said that I certainly don't like cheap earphones that fall apart and only end up with one ear working. It seems to me that these little bad boys are for people like me who are in the middle. They are reasonably priced and do the job. Not only do they do the job, they do it well and have the added bonus of being nice and brioght in colour. There is an added advantage of having three different sized ear tips for the perfect fit for everybody. They are a slightly strage feeling, following the standard pair I had, but once I got used to them they were very comfortable. In my opinion, well worth the reasonable price tag!

4.0 out of 5 stars nice looking, work well and fun, 26 Oct 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These headphones come with a range of very different sized ear pieces to choose from So you can get a really good and comfortable fit where you are not sharing your music with the rest of the train carriage but you are getting the best of it for yourself. When you start and look at people's ear canals there is an amazing variety of shapes and sizes so it only makes sense to have a bespoke system like this. No wonder I always had problems with cheap ones that fall out. My son wanted a trendier make but these are really good for the money and look distinctive and cool. The wood in it is quirky but it works.

1.0 out of 5 stars Decent but there are better - edit:sadly no longer working, 21 Nov 2011
Ash - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was slightly surprised and confused when I saw these were branded with Bob Marley, a feeling enhanced when I actually received them to find next to no relevance to Marley whatsoever - seems more like trying to sell something off a name rather than make it appropriately relevant.

But onto the actual product:

The first that that strikes you is the colour - in this case bright pink which isn't too much of an issue for me but if you don't like bright colours these certainly aren't the earphones for you. These come with 3 different buds to fit your ears and whilst they do cover the usual little, medium, large categories, the material seemed to be slightly less flexible than my other JVC and Sennheiser buds which makes getting the perfect fit slightly more difficult. I also found it slightly difficult to get the rubber on/off as it is a very snug fit which, whilst good for not losing them, also makes it a bit of a pain trying to swap the sizes around.

The cords is a nice black wire which does have a premium feel to it, although it was slightly too stiff for my liking as I prefer to tuck the wires away whilst listening and with these I could still feel them. The connections seem rugid enough for every day use when commuting and they also come with a convenient and well made carry bag which I always tend to use to keep them in good condition. I do, however, think that even not using this carry bag, the connections should survive quite well if you just throw them into your bag/pocket when commuting.

In terms of sound quality, I found these adequate but not fantastic. Compared to my other earphones these offer little more than my 12 JVC and when tested on both my phone and MP3 player, they were outperformed by my Sennheiser which were only a couple of pounds more expensive. The lower end works fine, but too often the higher-end sounds didn't make it through and I was left with a lot of bass and not enought treble across a whole range of music, from Mozart to Eminem (yes, I have an eclectic taste in music!). And this wasn't improved by playing with the equalisers on the devices either - they just seem to be a bit too bass heavy.

All-in-all these are a decent set of earphones which feel quality but struggle to deliver sound quality. I'm sure the eco-friendly marketing will appeal to some, but if you are looking for perfomance these struggle to match some of the competition in the same price bracket.

***EDIT - Having used these for a couple of months now, mainly on commute with the volume turned up to counteract the poor noise cancellation, I'm afraid they have stopped working properly. Even on the commute, I take good care of my earphones and have had a pair for well over a year that have worked perfectly. Unfortunately the left earphone has just completely stopped working and I can get no sound whatsoever. The right one still works fine but what is the point of having earphones with only one working. I don't know exactly what has caused this problem and the cord and earphones appear to be in perfect condition from the outside but the left bud doesn't work. It is very disappointing and whilst I may have just got a dodgy one it seems slightly odd that a product proclaiming eco-friendly nature essentially will be discarded after only a couple of months use.***

5.0 out of 5 stars Eco-Friendly, Great Value, Clever Design, 22 Oct 2011
Mr. B. R. Good (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Everything about this Eco-friendly product deserves high praise. The Marley Jammin' Collection is a range of audio products that support the 1Love Organization, set up in the artists memory.

I note from the company website an impressive looking array of unique and attractive headphone designs - a refreshing change from the standard black plastic often produced by major brands.

Sound Quality:
Rich punchy bass, clear vocals and reminiscent of a product several times the price.
I listen to audio for a large chunk of my day and comfort, quality and of course sound is highly important. These Noise-Isolating headphones come with 3 tip sizes and have a unique wooden housing. Yes, wooden housing - a great idea! The headphones are made using recycled/Eco-Friendly material wherever possible. A handy carry pouch is also included. The chord is not plastic but fabric, an endearing touch.

The base is deep, some may find it slightly overpowering but it depends of course on musical taste and the music of Marley would certainly fit into this category.

I look forward to using these regularly and I have absolute confidence in the build quality. The current RRP of around 20 is a complete bargain and the fact that it goes towards helping the Marley family charitable organisation presents a very good reason to make a purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Appealing but didn't deliver, 3 Oct 2012
I bought these earphones as a present for a family member who was really pleased with the quality of the product and found the fact that they were eco friendly very appealing. After less than a month, however, they broke, with a fuzzing sound in the left earbud before they both became silent. I was sent a replacement but in even less time the exact same thing happened again. Not sure if it was a bad batch but I am very disappointed at having to return two pairs but the overall quality was good for the low cost, will try another pair some time in the future when a new batch may have been ordered in.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite Disappointed, 6 Sep 2012
Hey I bought these headphones round about a month ago and they where brilliant! But then then the trouble started.
First the left headphone stopped working and I believe the wire inside has loosened. Then a few weeks later the right headphone died too, now they only work on the odd occasion after some intense wiggling of the wire.
Over all the headphones are Excellent in design love the whole eco-friendly theme going on like the wood.
But the length of time I've had them was very disappointing.
If anybody has had the same problem could you please comment on my review thanks. :)
Jack.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, until they break, 7 Aug 2012
It's such a shame I can't give a better review to these. I want to give them four stars, but they're barely getting two. I've owned a pair of these since mid June 2012. Yesterday only early August 2012, they stopped supplying sound to the left ear unless I waggle the jack in the socket of my iPod into a very precise position. I've tried different headphones and they work fine with the iPod so I think its the headphones.

I liked:
* The material on the cables is just so good at not getting tangled, I don't know why it's the norm for other makes to still use sticky rubber cable coating
* The buds are comfortable and you get a few different sizes to experiment with. I could wear them on long journeys and they didn't hurt.
* They were good noise cancellers, meaning I could clearly hear the spoken word from podcasts and audiobooks in even the noisiest environments
* They were good insulators, meaning they shielded others from the noises I was listening to, especially when I sat next to someone on public transport or the office
* They were admirably unusual in colour, design and materials. So many people commented on them when they saw me use them.

I didn't like:
* Despite taking good care of them, with no careless tugs/jerks/manhandling, after not even two months, the left headphone has stopped working unless I jiggle the jack in my iPod. Then when I start moving around, the sound goes again.

Having searched around on the internet, it seems I'm not alone in experiencing this problem. Sudden unexplained loss of sound to one earphone appears to be relatively common. I am tempted to chalk this up to a bad batch and try and just get a new pair. Up until yesterday I thought they were great, and they're not expensive. But I don't want to be burned twice. I'm now also considering a replacement brand.

House of Marley Smile Jamaica In-Ear Headphones - Lily